antivirus app recommendation for the new nexus 7?

alysariah

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I feel I need to get some antivirus protection on my new device. I am new to android and would like to know what you veterans recommend.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Android veteran here, been on Android since Eclair. You absolutely do NOT need antivirus of any kind. Just make sure you get all apps from the Play Store and you'll never run into issues. Viruses don't exist on Android. I have never gotten malware or any virus. All Malware and virus programs are just bloatware and a total waste of money, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You don't need an antivirus as long as you only download apps from playstore.
to make it even safer. download apps which is popular and have good reviews -- Optional

also, play service now has a build in antivirus scanner which scans side loaded apps. Playstore apps are scanned by google on their server
dont check unknown source and there is no way an app can install itself.

PATHIAN

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I love Kaspersky products, but currently KMS (Kaspersky Mobile Security) doesn't support Android 4.3.

NOTE: If you try installing KMS from the Google Play Store, it will point out the Nexus 7 2013 is incompatible, but I normally download the APK from Kaspersky's server which was how I managed to install it.

I've tried it with my Nexus 7 2013 and at first glance it works okay, but some websites fail to load properly (e.g. Deviantart.com) with a 404 error. Same with certain apps, such as the Drippler Nexus 7 app. Once I moved to AVG Free for Android the issues went away. It's a shame, but until KMS supports 4.3 I'll have to wait to use my personal favourite AV products on my Nexus.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been using Avast on my machines and ones I build or repair for other for years. I installed it on my Android devices more so for the anti theft features. Like others said, unless you are installing from unknown sources, you are fine. With Avast you can have a siren play, send a message, GPS locate and other cool things. You can also have a friend send these commands if needed. Now that Google released Device Manager, it is not needed as much.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
The only device you'll need AV on is a Windows machine. Just like said above, I've been using Android since 2.2 and have yet to run into a virus.

alysariah

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
wow, thanks to everyone for the replies. since I will prob only download from google play, I should be ok? only thing I might want to do is download the app that allows you to see flash. hopefully, I'll be ok with that.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Android veteran here, been on Android since Eclair. You absolutely do NOT need antivirus of any kind. Just make sure you get all apps from the Play Store and you'll never run into issues. Viruses don't exist on Android. I have never gotten malware or any virus. All Malware and virus programs are just bloatware and a total waste of money, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Well from experience is that I download 2 apps from google store (was on 3.2 & 4.0) which is live wallpaper and both of them had adware installed within it which make your tablet and ram slow down. Wouldn't have known (if not for reading the reviews that the app install malware) and can't disable the adware if not for installing an antivirus app. Since someone later said google play service now scan app for virus, well that something new to me. Hope it really works. But to be safe, I would recommend installing one antivirus to scan your tablet occasionally to remove unwanted spyware or to clean up your system privacy settings.

WestOkid

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Totally agree. Almost all the virus/Malware figures about Android are from foreign markets, particularly China, where there are many third party app stores. It's a shame that this manipulation takes place. Even when something hits the Play Store, it is so obscure, I wonder if the anti virus makers put it there themselves.
People need to understand the A/V business has no market in mobile and the PC business is drying up. They are desperate. They need people to feel vulnerable to survive. Apple doesn't allow third-party app stores, so A/V companies have no choice but to site Android.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I dont bother with one, never even crossed my mind to run one. Its more of a common sense thing, know what you are downloading before doing it. I download apks from outside sources quite a bit, but its usually from a bigger site like XDA where its taken from another phone or tablet etc.. So theres no realy concern about what Im downloading.

WestOkid

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well from experience is that I download 2 apps from google store (was on 3.2 & 4.0) which is live wallpaper and both of them had adware installed within it which make your tablet and ram slow down. Wouldn't have known (if not for reading the reviews that the app install malware) and can't disable the adware if not for installing an antivirus app. Since someone later said google play service now scan app for virus, well that something new to me. Hope it really works. But to be safe, I would recommend installing one antivirus to scan your tablet occasionally to remove unwanted spyware or to clean up your system privacy settings.

Ad ware is not malware. They have nothing to do with each other. Every platform, every browser has adware. That is a business model we hate, but drives the majority of free apps. As for slowing down your phone. That's just bad code. Again, this can occur I a Google app. It certainly will occur when you are running a real-time antivirus program.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Ad ware is not malware. They have nothing to do with each other. Every platform, every browser has adware. That is a business model we hate, but drives the majority of free apps. As for slowing down your phone. That's just bad code. Again, this can occur I a Google app. It certainly will occur when you are running a real-time antivirus program.

While i agree with you that free app usually comes with ads, i disagree with your definition that adware is not the same as malware. You're partially correct if its displaying ads only. However, there are other form of adware such as described here, "Adware is any software that, once installed on your computer, tracks your internet browsing habits and sends you popups containing advertisements related to the sites and topics you've visited. While this type of software may sound innocent, and even helpful, it consumes and slows down your computer's processor and internet connection speed. Additionally, some adware has keyloggers and spyware built into the program, leading to greater damage to your computer and possible invasion of your private data."

And the definition for malware, "Malware is short for malicious software. Malware is a broad term that encompasses computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, adware, and others. Malware is designed to interfere with normal computer operation, usually giving hackers a chance to gain access to your computer and collect sensitive personal information."

Again the 2 app I installed were downloaded from google store. and at a time when google wasn't even concern about their app quality when it only concern is to have as much apps as possible than the apple store. And if you searched the internet for malicious app on android a year or two ago, it was real. I suppose google now has focus on a much stricter policy on app quality now.

Edited reference link: Yet Another Bunch of Malicious Apps Found on Google Play | Symantec Connect Community

Last edited:

WestOkid

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That happens all the time. I would love for one of these A/V companies to publish apps that people use. Also where the permissions are not correct. Otherwise, we are talking about someone actually downloading a camera app from an unknown publisher that requires network access , contact access, and more and they install it. I don't know anyone that does that. That may be why I feel comfortable. That said, the bottom line is people should feel comfortable with their devices and do what ever it takes to provide peace of mind.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Marthadm

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting a pop message (got twice) that a virus has infected muy Nexus 7 2013 with a link. Of course I just close it. Should I be worried?