Confused

keenachi

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
It's been years since I have had android device. I recently ditched iPhone to come back to android. However, I am confused do you need malware protection and antivirus protection? If so which, would you prefer? Also do you need a battery saver as well? Right now, I am using a Moto G Stylus 5G. Thank you.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't use either. A battery saver of sorts should be built into the os. As far as antivirus? So long as you're not visiting sketchy sites or side loading apps from god knows where, I wouldn't worry about it.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
A battery saver is a great idea for everything that runs on LiOn batteries. That's exactly why Teslas (and probably others) limit normal charging to 80%. I know Samsung offers this (85% limit) on their phones and laptop computers. Wish Google would bake this into the Android OS.

According to my battery monitoring app, this would triple the effective battery life, compared to charging to 100%.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
which battery saver you use
The actual battery saver is baked into the Samsung OS, so it's only available on Samsung devices. I do use Accubattery app to monitor the battery and it does have an alarm to notify you when it's charged to a certain percent, which you can define. But it doesn't automatically stop charging then. You get a notification and then you have to manually disconnect the phone from the charger.

bijutoha

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
There are still malware applications that can evade detection. It is advisable to install a third-party antivirus app on your Android device for this reason.