New Nexus 7 Battery/Heat Problems

Winterswind

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Nexus 7 last Wednesday, and everything appears to be working great thus far...GPS, screen, etc.

Except, the unit seems to heat up very quickly. It starts in the back, by the camera and power buttons, and then spreads to the entire top back half of the tablet. The screen in that area also becomes quite uncomfortably warm to the touch. I notice this most when playing one specific game, Dragon Story. But it also seems to happen in general use.
Obviously, the battery appears to take a hit to battery remaining when this happens.

Additionally, the battery loses between 9-10% when just sitting in sleep mode overnight.

I'm reluctant to exchange the unit because everything else works so well. But I feel this is only going to get worse over time.

Is this normal, is this an app problem, is this a wonky unit...?

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The top is where the CPU and related chips are, so I'd expect some warm-up there. It shouldn't get too hot, though.

The warm-up happens because the CPU speeds up to cope with gaming/intensive tasks, which also comes with greater battery consumption. Hence, the battery takes a hit.

Winterswind

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd expect some warmth, as the processor is working. But it seems to start heating up very quickly.

I'm more concerned about the battery, tbh...it seems to be draining quickly, even when the tablet isn't doing power-intensive tasks or heating up.
I lost around 9% of battery while the tablet was idle/asleep for 6 hours overnight.

Was anyone else's tablet dead when they first took it out of the box?

Gauhar Mahmood Azeem

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
My device heats up too on playing heavy games, but it's just a warm back, not burning my hand. i guess it happens on all devices. and yes 10% battery goes on an idle system

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd expect some warmth, as the processor is working. But it seems to start heating up very quickly.

I'm more concerned about the battery, tbh...it seems to be draining quickly, even when the tablet isn't doing power-intensive tasks or heating up.
I lost around 9% of battery while the tablet was idle/asleep for 6 hours overnight.

Was anyone else's tablet dead when they first took it out of the box?

Hmm, odd. I've heard that apps that constantly call for wakelocks will drain the battery, but I wouldn't know how to check. That's definitely unusual battery drain for screen off, though.

I left mine off the charger last night:

ajegy7y5.jpg

The line in the middle where it's neither charging nor in use is basically flat. It went down by maybe 4% at most, over about 6 hours.

What about your battery stats page? Anything unusual there?