Nexus 7: Won't Charge Through USB Port While Power is On

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Here's a strange one. I've been charging my N7 wirelessly for over a month now. We use this unit for navigation while flying, so it's essential that we keep it plugged into ship's power while in-flight.

For whatever reason, yesterday it would not charge via USB while powered up. I know the power cord is functioning normally, because it charged my Samsung S3 just fine.

Here's the weird part: If I turned the N7 off, it WOULD charge.

Any theories? The Nexus 7 simply didn't recognize that there was power at the USB port while it was powered up. I've recently used a dongle with a thumb drive for data storage for the first time. Does that disable charging through the USB port?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Won't Charge Through USB Port While Power is On

What is the rating of the charger you are using? The factory charger is 5v at @2 amps or so. Typical car chargers are .5 amps.

Posted via Android Central App

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

What is the rating of the charger you are using? The factory charger is 5v at @2 amps or so. Typical car chargers are .5 amps.

The poster is talking about a USB port. What does a charger and/or a car charger have to do with anything?

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

Because the amperage of the charger is important.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Kookas

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

You use a tablet for navigating a plane? ;o

Anyway, most likely the USB doesn't put out enough power. Tablets have a much larger battery capacity than phones, so they need more power to charge at the same rate. AFAIK it should charge even on USB, but it might be so slow that the tablet doesn't actually consider it charging.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

The problem is that the Nexus is using more power while it's on than it's getting from your USB charger. This is a VERY common problem with most USB chargers (unless you use the factory one).

By design, a computer's USB 2.0 port will provide 500ma (milli amps) of power. Tablets, which usually need more than 500ma to charge, will only draw up to 500ma if they "sense" they are plugged into a computer (so it won't damage your computer). The way they sense this is by "seeing" if the two middle prongs of the charger are shorted or not. Most of the cigarette lighter chargers don't short the two middle pins of the USB, so your tablet *thinks* it's plugged into a computer and won't draw more power than 500ma.

You need a specific type of cigarette lighter adapter that has the two middle pins shorted and can supply more power (typically 1.5amps) in order for you to both use your tablet and have it charge at the same time.

The reason most chargers don't short the two middle pins of the USB is because they also work with Apple products. Apple uses a different method where the two middle pins can't be shorted. So if you see a charger that says it's made for both iPads and Android devices, it will only supply up to 500ma to your Android device, even if it says it's rated at a much higher output. You need one specifically for an Android.

Many people will modify their cigarette lighter adapters by opening them up and shorting the two middle pins and only use it with an Android device.

Hope this helps!

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

The problem is that the Nexus is using more power while it's on than it's getting from your USB charger. This is a VERY common problem with most USB chargers (unless you use the factory one).

By design, a computer's USB 2.0 port will provide 500ma (milli amps) of power. Tablets, which usually need more than 500ma to charge, will only draw up to 500ma if they "sense" they are plugged into a computer (so it won't damage your computer). The way they sense this is by "seeing" if the two middle prongs of the charger are shorted or not. Most of the cigarette lighter chargers don't short the two middle pins of the USB, so your tablet *thinks* it's plugged into a computer and won't draw more power than 500ma.

You need a specific type of cigarette lighter adapter that has the two middle pins shorted and can supply more power (typically 1.5amps) in order for you to both use your tablet and have it charge at the same time.

The reason most chargers don't short the two middle pins of the USB is because they also work with Apple products. Apple uses a different method where the two middle pins can't be shorted. So if you see a charger that says it's made for both iPads and Android devices, it will only supply up to 500ma to your Android device, even if it says it's rated at a much higher output. You need one specifically for an Android.

Many people will modify their cigarette lighter adapters by opening them up and shorting the two middle pins and only use it with an Android device.

Hope this helps!

Can you quote some sources of this information? I know a lot about electronics (EET and EE degrees) and some of what you said about batteries ect. just doesn't seem right.
Your sources would save me a lot of 'googling'

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

It's your USB charger. If you get another one rated a little bit higher, or one made specifically for tablets, than it should be able to charge. As it is right now, it's charging, although at a very rate - not enough for it to sense that it's charging. The tablet does, indeed, use more power than it's getting when it's on, and that would explain why it'll charge when it's off but not when it's on. Howardv is correct.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this wired-in, in-aircraft charger puts out the full 2 amps/5 volts needed for the Nexus 7. We've been using this in the plane for six months.

This problem just started happening in the last week or two. The only thing I can think of is some software switch that has the USB port in "data only" mode, or something...

Any theories?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this wired-in, in-aircraft charger puts out the full 2 amps/5 volts needed for the Nexus 7. We've been using this in the plane for six months.

This problem just started happening in the last week or two. The only thing I can think of is some software switch that has the USB port in "data only" mode, or something...

Any theories?

Two thoughts. First, it still could be the charger. Try swapping it out. Second, do a factory reset on the N7. It will require reloading apps, but that is pretty quick if you to them from the Play Store.

BTW, how are hardwiring in the charger? Did you have to get the avionics shop to do that? On my C340 I wired in a marine band radio and that turned out to be quite expensive.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Any theories?

6 months? Exactly which Nexus 7 are you talking about?

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

6 months? Exactly which Nexus 7 are you talking about?

Both the 2012 and (now) 2013 versions.

The 2012 version still charges fine in the plane, so this must be a setting...or glitch...in the 2013 version...

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

BTW, how are hardwiring in the charger? Did you have to get the avionics shop to do that? On my C340 I wired in a marine band radio and that turned out to be quite expensive.

Ah, the joys of owning an experimental aircraft! After 20 years of enduring that certificated rigamarole, where you can't even wire in a tablet (!) legally, I can now do just about anything to our RV-8. :D

BTW: Here's what you need to buy to install in any vehicle. Two wires, and you are done!

Hardwire Barewire Power Micro USB Cable for SmartPhones including Droid and Many Micro USB Devices
MFX2

Price $18.95

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J4OTUO...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3090553

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

The 2012 version still charges fine in the plane, so this must be a setting...or glitch...in the 2013 version...

That tells us a lot more than your original post. Will it charge wirelessly while turned on? If not, did it used to?

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

My 2013 charges awfully slow (if at all) when plugged into it's own factory home charger when it's in use. Possibly the much higher resolution screen could take a lot more amperage than it's predecessor. The unit charges a lot faster if I shut if off and let it sit there.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

My 2013 charges awfully slow (if at all) when plugged into it's own factory home charger when it's in use. Possibly the much higher resolution screen could take a lot more amperage than it's predecessor. The unit charges a lot faster if I shut if off and let it sit there.

The unit does not indicate charging (the little lightning bolt over the battery) reliably when plugged in and powered on in the plane.

The unit DOES indicate charging (the animated battery) if I turn the unit OFF while plugged in the plane.

Atiya

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

what is wireless charging? im charging my nexus 7 2nd gen through usb cable hmmmmm

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

The unit does not indicate charging (the little lightning bolt over the battery) reliably when plugged in and powered on in the plane.

The unit DOES indicate charging (the animated battery) if I turn the unit OFF while plugged in the plane.

Does it charge via usb when plugged in with the factory charger.