Battery problem on Moto G7 Power after replacement

Jonzjob

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I have had my G7 for a few years now and the battery life was getting shorter so I replaced the battery. Apart form the idea that Motorola seem to be fans of glueing things together (the back in this case) it waas simple enough. I went through the battery conditioning routine of fulcharge/discharge several times to get the full battery capacity and then just started to use it normally.

I noticed that it wasn't charging to 100%, just 96 or so but not to the full100%. I have always used the Turbo charger that came with it and thought that there may be a problem. So I plugged it in to one of of mains wall socket USB charge points, but that was the same. Next I tried it plugged into our iMac USB, same, it refused to charge to 100%.

I gave up and thought that high 90s would be OK. But then I noticed that the charge was dropping VERY steeply to the low 80s in about an hour! It indicated that the battery would only last 7 or so hours, but then it leveled out and started indicating more than a day!Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 10.10.01.pngScreenshot 2023-05-25 at 10.38.42.png

Operating time seems to increase over the course of the couple of days after a charge and I am totally confused! I don't trust the phone any more and I am wondering if I'm just going to throw away money, time andd energy replacing the battery again for what seems to be a duff one. I know that LiPo batteries degrade with storage and am now wondering if it's not a better idea to replace the phone?

I also had a charging port problem and replaced that a few months back. There weren't any problems with the new port and I asked the supplier if he sold batteries. He replied that he didn't because he couldn't find a reliable supplier. Now that rings a few bells doesn't it. The problem with the originel port was that it wouldn't hold the USB connector, charger or USB/iMac link, in place properly. Nothing to do with the charging side.

Any ideas please folks?

Jonzjob

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply Fuzzy and for taking the time for me.

The conditioning I was advised to use waas to run it down and recharge about 3 times which is what I normally do with the batteries on my electric RC model aircraft. It's what I have done for several years now and it has always worked.

The battery for my phone was bought on ebay from what seemed a reputable seller. What ever I haven't seen such a drop as this unit is showing from what is a new battery. I have just charged it again this evening and would just wouldn't go past 92% until I switched the charger off for a minute or so and back on. It then went to 96% and just sat there telling me 4 minutes to 100%. It would have sat in that state all night if I had left it.

In fact another seller didn't sell batteries because he couldn't find a reliable supplier. I have solved the problem now and like the rest of our computing kit I have gone Apple with a nice small iPhone SE. I don't like these new BIG phones.