Dark areas have horrible pixelation (screenshots inside)

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I found a better way to show you whats going on. Taking screenshots didn't seem to do it "justice" so I finally just snapped a picture on my phone. This is Sons of Anarchy on Netflix. All videos look this bad, and when it's moving, it's extremely distracting. I can't stress that enough.
[/URL]

Wow...that does look ugly. I'm guessing compression artifacting as well. Looks like you have your brightness cranked up too high. The compression probably the video was dark enough that it didn't need to keep much detail in the dark areas...

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok....definitely compression shows more on my nexus vs playing it through the Chromecast on my tv. I downloaded Screen Adjuster from the Play store and played around a bit and got it looking a little better, but not much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried an adjuster too and it didn't do much. I cruised over to Best Buy and tried out the Surface 2 (non pro) and it was clean as a whistle. I'm not sure what to do here, as it's very distracting. Normally I just work through these issues, but as you can see it's literally in your face.

rohail7

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone! I know it's kinda late to post in this thread. But this might help others, I had exactly the same issue as punker1234 on my Galaxy S4, the dark areas are horribly pixelated, both in images and videos, I searched and ended up to this thread, as some guy here suggested to adjust the contrast and stuff, so I went to settings > display > screen mode, which was adjusted to "Auto-adopt", I changed it to different modes and test on the same image (with pixelated dark areas) and holla! the "dynamic mode" reduced it upto 90% and it's hardly noticeable anymore! (like other devices). I suggest nexus and other users having same issue to play with all available screen options and open the same image in gallery to match it with every new adjustment, this manual calibration could resolve the issue dramatically! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles