Hangouts and SMS

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
You will still be required to use alternatives like Mighty Text which I use and works flawlessly. I use it everyday still. With hangouts when it gets the Google Voice update you will be able to send texts from that number.

Posted via Android Central App

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
An SMS (per se) can only be sent from a cellular device. It's one of the most reliable forms of communication but only became popular by accident. They're limited to 160 characters, which is the available 'space' of bandwidth between voice transmissions over a cellular network. Mobile providers realised that money could be made by selling this 'space' as messages - it was mainly young people who caught on to this cheap way of communicating which made it so popular. It is thought that providers initially made more money from the sms than call charges!
Hangouts, Viber & others provide 'sms' services, but these can be as long as you wish, and rely on a data connection or wifi to send and receive - but they are not an sms in the true sense of the word. Usually a telephone number is used only for ease of identification, but is not necessary and is not confined to telephone numbers.
I hope the sms never disappears as it is 99% reliable, needs very little power and only a tiny signal - invaluable in emergency situations!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Verizon messages is also great for Verizon customers. Sync and send sms email everywhere.

Sent from my Nexus 7

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I've used the new hangouts app for a day now and I'm not liking it so much as an SMS app. MMS doesn't always show a picture, it just comes up as a blank message, it's kind of clunky and slow, and you can't reply from the notification. There's nothing better about it than the stock messaging app. And it doesn't even show emojis in the texts.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I've used the new hangouts app for a day now and I'm not liking it so much as an SMS app. MMS doesn't always show a picture, it just comes up as a blank message, it's kind of clunky and slow, and you can't reply from the notification. There's nothing better about it than the stock messaging app.

If you're talking about the version that was released with the Nexus 5 and extracted from that phone's OS, then remember that it wasn't actually intended for our devices. All apps aren't necessarily equal. I would reserve judgment until the actual update is rolled out to your device.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're talking about the version that was released with the Nexus 5 and extracted from that phone's OS, then remember that it wasn't actually intended for our devices. All apps aren't necessarily equal. I would reserve judgment until the actual update is rolled out to your device.

Yeah that's the one. You think some things will change with the official one in the play store?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You think some things will change with the official one in the play store?

Well, if you wait for the update to reach you, it'll actually be the one intended for your device. The ones not intended for our devices are often coded slightly differently. The editors here at Android Central have even mentioned in the past that we should wait for the app updates for our own devices rather than install the ones floating around on the web because the possible api differences, etc.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that's the one. You think some things will change with the official one in the play store?

Things will need to be updated for sure. Try doing a video call with the apk from the nexus 5 on another device.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you wait for the update to reach you, it'll actually be the one intended for your device. The ones not intended for our devices are often coded slightly differently. The editors here at Android Central have even mentioned in the past that we should wait for the app updates for our own devices rather than install the ones floating around on the web because the possible api differences, etc.

That makes sense. But, wouldn't this be the exact app that will be on the N5? That's what I'm most worried about since that'll be the phone I'll have as of tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense. But, wouldn't this be the exact app that will be on the N5?

Yes, it'll be on the Nexus 5, but it may run differently and a bit better on the Nexus 5 than it does on the Nexus 7. So I would hold off on judging the app until you actually use it on the Nexus 5. It might not be "clunky and slow", for instance, on the Nexus 5.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it'll be on the Nexus 5, but it may run differently and a bit better on the Nexus 5 than it does on the Nexus 7. So I would hold off on judging the app until you actually use it on the Nexus 5. It might not be "clunky and slow", for instance, on the Nexus 5.

Exactly, I'm trying to explain that to my father who wants the newest feature that I am "toying" with right now but doesn't understand the possibility of bugs and then just says I hate this. I understand the possibility of these flaws since it is not the proper build for our devices but jump to conclusions when it won't properly work.

I'm trying to also get him to understand difference between CM 10.2 and his Stock OS as well.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Nexus five in hand now for about 4 hours. In my honest opinion, my judgment remains the same. Its not even downloading MMS. Its just a blank message. I don't understand how a default messaging app can get by without being able to even do that. Now unless I'm missing something, this is not a good texting app.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
That's odd. My mother in law sent a group MMS and I got it just fine on the hangouts app. She sent it from a Samsung phone on T-mobile

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That's odd. My mother in law sent a group MMS and I got it just fine on the hangouts app. She sent it from a Samsung phone on T-mobile

Using the new hangouts app on my LG G2. MMS GROUP messenger is working. Only app it works on T-Mobile. LOVING the hangouts app

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

grandfathertony

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Hangouts can be great. I don't see why the phone can't sync messages via a cloud type service and then display them on tablet/pc. And I also don't see why you cannot send text from a tablet/pc using hangouts and that message is pushed to your phone and sent out through it.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping the integration of SMS into hangouts would solve my SMS problems with one app. I use mySMS to allow me to sync and bounce back and forth between my desktop and phone for SMS. Now between stock SMS apps, MySMS and hangouts on desktop, laptop, phone, and tablet I get duplicates and am never sure where it is coming from. It is a pain to manage and now time for a do over. Is there a good, go to app to sync SMS and MMS across all devices? Hopefully hangouts will get it done later but its not there yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
SMS on the N7 doesn't work with the Hangouts app, but it is possible to SMS/MMS from the tablet (if you have the LTE version with an active SIM card). Just install one of the third party SMS apps from the Play Store. I use GoSMS on my N7 LTE and it works just fine.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Installed MySMS on N7 WiFi tablet and it seems to work fine. No complaints, its just that I do use hangouts a lot too. Would love to use one app to unify all messaging and hoped it could be hangouts, maybe they are working on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I was enjoying this integration on my phone, until I raised you can't search within hangouts. I search my text messages all the time. Can't do that with hangouts, so I separated them again.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress