Two S23+ Questions: Samsung's SMS app & Lockscreen

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello, just activated an S23+ three days ago, and liking it okay, mostly, but have a message app question + a lockscreen question;

1) On my S23+ (from Xfinity Mobile) the default Messages app was the Google Message (MMS protocol) app, (with the very annoying, apparently endless, cluttering-up/suggestive stuff), that doesn't work with Mobile Data turned off, and that I don't want to use. So I removed it, and replaced it with the Samsung Messages (SMS protocol?) app, that was in the S23+'s app drawer.

Then I noticed, sadly, that the Samsung SMS app no longer shows "read" receipts, nor does it allow images to be sent without the mobile data being turned on. =(( Sad, because my 2017 Galaxy S7 Active / samsung SMS app did show "read" receipts, and did allow images to be sent via AT&T cellular network (w/ Wifi turned on). Which makes me wonder if it (those features not working now), could be due to a matter of cellular networks (e.g. they worked on AT&T, but not on Xfinity, for some reason)?

So my first question is...... is there no way to get those two features, working again, on an S23+ w/the current SMS Samsung Messages app [v.14.5.20.5]?

2) And where does one set-up the two app icons—to quick-launch phone or camera or messages or etc—that typically sit at the bottom two corners of the lockscreen? My wife's S23Ultra has them, but I don't see any setting option under the S23+ 'Lockscreen' category.

Thanks very much for any suggestions !;-)

Last edited:

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello, just activated an S23+ three days ago, and liking it okay, mostly, but have a message app question + a lockscreen question;

1) On my S23+ (from Xfinity Mobile) the default Messages app was the Google Message (MMS protocol) app, (with the very annoying, apparently endless, cluttering-up/suggestive stuff), that doesn't work with Mobile Data turned off, and that I don't want to use. So I removed it, and replaced it with the Samsung Messages (SMS protocol?) app, that was in the S23+'s app drawer.

Then I noticed, sadly, that the Samsung SMS app no longer shows "read" receipts, nor does it allow images to be sent without the mobile data being turned on. =(( Sad, because my 2017 Galaxy S7 Active / samsung SMS app did show "read" receipts, and did allow images to be sent via AT&T cellular network (w/ Wifi turned on). Which makes me wonder if it (those features not working now), could be due to a matter of cellular networks (e.g. they worked on AT&T, but not on Xfinity, for some reason)?

So my first question is...... is there no way to get those two features, working again, on an S23+ w/the current SMS Samsung Messages app [v.14.5.20.5]?

2) And where does one set-up the two app icons—to quick-launch phone or camera or messages or etc—that typically sit at the bottom two corners of the lockscreen? My wife's S23Ultra has them, but I don't see any setting option under the S23+ 'Lockscreen' category.

For first question, search lock screen in settings. Then choose lock screen edit - left picture/icon. See attached pic of mine.

For 2nd, I used default Samsung messages and had read receipts, typing indicator etc. But I am with t mobile. Heard it varies with provider. I also use Google messages and it also shows RCS features like Samsung messages.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004_194858_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004_194858_Settings.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 35

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

The stock Samsung messages app on my Z Flip 3, on AT&T, doesn't do RCS either, which is what shows you the read receipts and typing indicator. My Pixel does though.

But I had problems with Google messages on my Pixel not sending me some very important text messages, so I'm not using RCS at the moment, because I don't trust it to deliver all my messages. I'm going to give it some time before I try it again on the Pixel... and I'm totally fine with not having it on my Flip 😉

There was a thread about this exact topic a while back, I don't remember if a way was ever figured out to get RCS working on a Samsung or not... maybe do a search.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
For first question, search lock screen in settings. Then choose lock screen edit - left picture/icon. See attached pic of mine.

For 2nd, I used default Samsung messages and had read receipts, typing indicator etc. But I am with t mobile. Heard it varies with provider. I also use Google messages and it also shows RCS features like Samsung messages.
Thanks very much for those suggestions & tips!
Re 1st question.... during initial setup I did go to the 'Lock screen' settings; clicked on 'edit', and set the two bottom corner icons to phone & camera icons. But in that edit view....is the only place they show up. There's nothing but a full black screen when my display times out !;~\ I have 'Always on Display' set to 'On' > 'Tap to show' — so when I tap the off/full black screen display once.... a clock w/date w/notifications w/battery % appears for approx 5 seconds. And when I tap twice..... the home screen appears.
But there's no bottom corner icons — when the display goes dark. =(

Re 2nd question.... Only getting delivered receipts w/my samsung messages, w/ no read receipts or typing indicators. =( And, every time I try to answer a txt, a pop-up appears saying that there may be data charges if I send the text !:~\ I never used to get those on my Galaxy S7 Active's samsung messages app. Of course it was an older version of samsung messages.

And I don't think I was geting them with the google messages either, before I removed the google MMS app due to all the annoying, cluttering suggestive stuff, even though I had it all turned-off !:~\ Those stupid little emo & sticker suggestions would keep popping-up every time I added an emo from my Gboard keyboard drawer !:~\ Who in the heck though that :rolleyes: would be a good or cool idea ?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The stock Samsung messages app on my Z Flip 3, on AT&T, doesn't do RCS either, which is what shows you the read receipts and typing indicator. My Pixel does though.

But I had problems with Google messages on my Pixel not sending me some very important text messages, so I'm not using RCS at the moment, because I don't trust it to deliver all my messages. I'm going to give it some time before I try it again on the Pixel... and I'm totally fine with not having it on my Flip 😉

There was a thread about this exact topic a while back, I don't remember if a way was ever figured out to get RCS working on a Samsung or not... maybe do a search.
Thanks very much, J Dubbs! Really appreciate that info !;-) Sounds like the newer samsung messages apps don't include the RCS features then. =((
The version of samsung messages that does include read receipts & typing indicators, on my Galaxy S7 Active, is v. 5.0.51.69 ....which has a category in its settings called 'Advanced Messaging' — right above 'Share read status' — where it says: "Share larger files, get read receipts and see when someone is typing".

But the new samsung messages app — v. 14.5.20.5 — in my Xfinity Mobile S23+, no longer has that category under 'More settings'. =(( Why in the world would they remove those popular and useful features?? =((

Btw, Google Messages [v. messages.aandroid_20240102_00_RC07.phone_samsung_dynamic]... does have 'read receipts' & 'typing indicator' settings in: Messages > Settings > RCS chats > 'Send read receipts' & 'Show typing indicators'. . where it says that it will "Let others know when you have read their message" & "Let others know when you're typing".

But did google forget to explain that the only way to see when 'others' have read your message and/or are typing a reply to you . . . is to turn-on your RCS 'Send read receipts' & 'Show typing indicators' ? Is that how it works?

Last edited:
Reactions: J Dubbs

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for those suggestions & tips!
Re 1st question.... during initial setup I did go to the 'Lock screen' settings; clicked on 'edit', and set the two bottom corner icons to phone & camera icons. But in that edit view....is the only place they show up. There's nothing but a full black screen when my display times out !;~\ I have 'Always on Display' set to 'On' > 'Tap to show' — so when I tap the off/full black screen display once.... a clock w/date w/notifications w/battery % appears for approx 5 seconds. And when I tap twice..... the home screen appears.
But there's no bottom corner icons — when the display goes dark. =(

Re 2nd question.... Only getting delivered receipts w/my samsung messages, w/ no read receipts or typing indicators. =( And, every time I try to answer a txt, a pop-up appears saying that there may be data charges if I send the text !:~\ I never used to get those on my Galaxy S7 Active's samsung messages app. Of course it was an older version of samsung messages.

And I don't think I was geting them with the google messages either, before I removed the google MMS app due to all the annoying, cluttering suggestive stuff, even though I had it all turned-off !:~\ Those stupid little emo & sticker suggestions would keep popping-up every time I added an emo from my Gboard keyboard drawer !:~\ Who in the heck though that :rolleyes: would be a good or cool idea ?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Regarding the lock screen, I don't have always on display on. My screen turns off after 30 sec. Using a pic as my wallpaper. The 2 bottom icons show up everytime when my lock screen shows before I unlock with fingerprint.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the lock screen, I don't have always on display on. My screen turns off after 30 sec. Using a pic as my wallpaper. The 2 bottom icons show up everytime when my lock screen shows before I unlock with fingerprint.
Oh. Hmmm. Thanks ;-) Well I tried turning related settings on & off, but those two bottom corner icons still wouldn't show. But then when I went to 'Screen lock type' and changed the setting from 'None' (where I had it, because then two quick taps opens your home screen), to 'Swipe'.... the two bottom corner icons finally appear !=)
Because when you have 'Screen lock type' set to 'Swipe'... then 2 quick taps opens to your lockscreen w/clock, noti's, bat % & bottom corner icons. Whereas if you have the 'Screen lock type' set to 'None'....one tap shows the clock, noti's & bat %; and two quick taps opens your home screen immediately, thus skipping the lockscreen with the clock, noti's, bat % & bottom corner icons.

Thanks for all the help in figuring it out !;-)

Reactions: J Dubbs and jtfwTX