Nexus 7 or not?

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Im mainly an Apple guy, but I`ve had Android phones and tablets in the past. Just sold my 4th Gen iPad and I kind of want something different. Kit Kat is looking great and the only way I`d go Android is to get a Nexus device. So I need an unbaised opinion, should I get the Nexus 7 or wait for the iPad Mini with retina?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Im mainly an Apple guy, but I`ve had Android phones and tablets in the past. Just sold my 4th Gen iPad and I kind of want something different. Kit Kat is looking great and the only way I`d go Android is to get a Nexus device. So I need an unbaised opinion, should I get the Nexus 7 or wait for the iPad Mini with retina?
The only way I can be unbiased is by mentioning only one thing.
The Nexus 7 is less than half the price of the iPad Mini 2 :p

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Rumor of a Nexus 8 is floating about! Maybe wait to see if it is real before buying anything. After Thanksgiving will be the decision point! All the cards(tablets) should be on the table by then for all players(manufacturers).

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts: Android has more functionality but less stability. Apps can be a dice roll on your device (fortunately you can filter reviews by device) and some apps (often iOS ports) simply don't run well.

I prefer Android as it boasts terrific GUI customization, even without 3rd party apps, and seems organized better. I remain shocked that iOS doesn't have an app drawer as it's such a no brainer to add.

iOS has great apps that generally work better but the ecosystem is tightly controlled. This is good in that it means apps that will generally work well for your device but can be frustrating in that you might not find the content you want.

IMO you can't go wrong with the Nexus 7 or iPad Mini. They are both great at what they do. What you really need to do is figure out which OS you want to use.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Rumor of a Nexus 8 is floating about! Maybe wait to see if it is real before buying anything. After Thanksgiving will be the decision point! All the cards(tablets) should be on the table by then for all players(manufacturers).

Source? I have not hear that anywhere and seriously doubt Google will put out 3 separate devices. Might they replace the Nexus 7 with an 8" model next year? Possibly, but have not heard that either.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts: Android has more functionality but less stability. Apps can be a dice roll on your device (fortunately you can filter reviews by device) and some apps (often iOS ports) simply don't run well.

I prefer Android as it boasts terrific GUI customization, even without 3rd party apps, and seems organized better. I remain shocked that iOS doesn't have an app drawer as it's such a no brainer to add.

iOS has great apps that generally work better but the ecosystem is tightly controlled. This is good in that it means apps that will generally work well for your device but can be frustrating in that you might not find the content you want.

IMO you can't go wrong with the Nexus 7 or iPad Mini. They are both great at what they do. What you really need to do is figure out which OS you want to use.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

iOS doesn't have an app drawer because their home screens are basically just that

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I have yet to see any actual evidence of a Nexus 8, just a handful of people with wishful thinking. If a Nexus 8 were coming out anytime in the next couple months, we'd probably have seen real leaks by now, judging by Google's past track record of device development secret-keeping.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It really depends on what you plan to do with your tablet. Android is less restricted than iOS so you have more freedom but it really depends how much you need that freedom.
Do you need access to the file system?
Do you need to be able to download any type of file?
Do you want to play games with a playstation controller?
Do you need Flash?

If you need some of these things then by all means grab the nexus 7 but if you don't, grab the iPad Mini and enjoy the improved app ecosystem and accessory selection aswell as the more stable experience.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Tuco Ramirez

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

They can release the next tablet anytime. Doesn't have to be around Thanksgiving. I think it will be early 2014 at the earliest before the next Google tablet is released.

rusty757

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering the same, but liked the looks of the new nexus 7.2 so ordered it based on the fact that is has a GPS that does not need a cell provider. I carry an iPhone 4s/Verizon provider, and have an iPad 3 without. Of course, the iPad GPS will not work without a wireless connection or paid provider such as Verizon or AT&T. More dollars a month to use GPS programs.

Having used the 7 tablet for the last 3 days, I can tell you I love it. I bought the 32g model, and am rapidly adding the apps. into it's large memory!

It has quickly become my travel companion in the car and boat. Being older, 72, with less than perfect close up vision, I find the screen and keyboard much better for me.

I also think that the sound from the speaker on my nexus is better with it's case on, than my iPad 3 with the case off!

I am using Swift Key trial ver. 4.something, and it's a nice app. for changing your keyboard.

So, for me, I think it's a matter of "a bird in the hand." and not having to wait for the new, yet, unshipped iPad Mini!

Good luck!

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 with LTE and its GPS works just fine without a cellular connection. I never activated a data plan on it because I specifically wanted it for the GPS.

Still, I think the Nexus 7 is THE way to go over an iPad Mini. I'd get one as well but I really wanted an SD card slot so I could store lots of photos and stuff, above and beyond its internal storage.

Rob

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Why wouldn't you get a nexus 7??! The entry price of $229 for a top notch experience can not be beat by any competitor, apple included. For the price of a 16 GB mini you can get a 32 GB nexus 7 with LTE. This is a no brainer, unless you have a thing for aluminum or apple logos , it's a landslide; nexus 7 all the way.

phoenix5724

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Anyone believe the so called rumors of the "Nexus 8?"

Not currently. They might go that route eventually but everything that I've seen so far referring to a Nexus 8 is purely talk and photo-editing. Everyone finally screeched to a halt on the Nexus 10 v2 craze and moved onto this 8" speculation.

Gaagle Plas

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd have to say "not" based on my experience with the device so far. My 1st one was returned after two weeks. We had an issue with the volume being stuck on mute and not being able to reset it. The volume keys and even going through the settings menu did not work when trying to adjust the volume as it would just stay on "mute". So I powered it off and then when I tried to power it back on, it would not power on. I let it charge overnight just in case it was a battery issue. Next day it still did not power on. I returned it and got a new one. I love it when it works but there are a couple of issues that are becoming a real pain.

1) Still has the same "mute" issue but I found if I log out the account and then log into one of the other account (I have myself, wife and son setup as users) then the volume starts working again.

2) Status/Notification sticky(?) - not really sure what causes this issue but it basically seems the tablet thinks I want to access the notifications, even though I'm not trying to or even touching that part of the screen. The only way I've been able to fix it is by powering the tablet off and then turning it back on. This started happening recently so maybe the last update caused the issue. It's real annoying because any tap on the screen causes the notification to "flash" so you cannot click app icons, swipe or pretty much anything until you power cycle the tablet.

These are minor annoyances, but when you have to deal with it often - especially #2 - it starts to make you wonder what the heck you paid for. This is the Nexus 7 2013 16GB device and I thought it was a great little tablet but my opinion is obviously changing the more issues I have to deal with. After the first one died I was tempted to just ask for a refund but instead took a chance on a second Nexus 7 and I'm wishing I didn't at the moment. I've written Google Support but so far no response - but to be fair it was recent when I wrote to them so I'm still hoping they will respond with some info that will resolve the issues.

EDIT: We've found touching the device itself (it is in a case) will resolve the annoying screen issue - i.e. have one hand in contact with the device while using the touchscreen with the other. However, if you remove your hand, the problem persist so you still have to reboot to completely get rid of the issue.

Last edited:

Stashsmom

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I would say not. I just returned the one I bought for my Mom last Thursday. It has the potential to be a VERY nice little tablet, but it is very buggy. Touchscreen issues, screen flickering, freezeups. Did a little digging and found these to be common problems. Still wanting to stay with an Android tablet, I exchanged it for the pricier Samsung Tab 8.0 yesterday, and so far it is very nice. I'm not fond of Touchwhiz(I have an HTC One, my first Android experience), but for someone who is absolutely tech illiterate like my 72yr old mom, it's very easy to use. Not necessarily recommending the Samsung over the Nexus, just warning that the Nexus has a few issues IMHO

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have both iPad and Nexus 7 and I kick my self for spending the money on a iPad when the nexus 7 has better hardware and nicer screen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress