Charging My Nexus 7

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The 110V charger that came with my Nexus 7 (2013) delivers an output of 5.2V at 1.35A. Can I assume that a car charger, with micro-USB connector, that plugs into my cigarette lighter and delivers an output of 5V at 2A will charge my N7 just fine?

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
The 110V charger that came with my Nexus 7 (2013) delivers an output of 5.2V at 1.35A. Can I assume that a car charger, with micro-USB connector, that plugs into my cigarette lighter and delivers an output of 5V at 2A will charge my N7 just fine?
Should charge, but your N7 might take less amperage and therefore charging could take double time.
Not a problem if you don't use the N7 for navigation jobs.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Do not understand. N7 will draw only the charging current it needs -- which I assume is below the 2A charger output capacity. In any case, should charge as quickly as it does when using ASUS-provided wall charger. No?

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Do not understand. N7 will draw only the charging current it needs -- which I assume is below the 2A charger output capacity. In any case, should charge as quickly as it does when using ASUS-provided wall charger. No?
The 2A charger is larger than the OEM charger therefore the tablet will charge at least as fast with the 2A if not faster! The tablet will draw what it needs which considering the OEM charger is 1.35A the draw is probably a bit less than that so the 2A charger is more than large enough and will charge the tablet as fast as the battery will suck up the juice which in the end will likely be very close to the time it takes with the OEM charger.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

If the car charger's USB connector has the same modified data pins as the Asus wall charger has, then the N7 will draw the same amperage.
Without the modification the N7 will think that it's connected to a PC's USB port and will take only trickle charging amperage.
Most generic chargers haven't the modification ... maybe your car charger has.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87