Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Typing is worse than ever!

I hit a key and it types a series of letters. It's happening all the time.

ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Default Re: Typing is worse than ever!

Which keyboard are you using?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The default keyboard. I tried a couple of different app keyboards a month or two ago and found them even more troublesome. I think that this keyboard is worse with the cursor than with my finger, but my finger is really much too big for this little keyboard.

ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by George Stevens View Post
    The default keyboard. I tried a couple of different app keyboards a month or two ago and found them even more troublesome. I think that this keyboard is worse with the cursor than with my finger, but my finger is really much too big for this little keyboard.
    Did you try out gesture typing on Google Keyboard?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by YouTube View Post
    Did you try out gesture typing on Google Keyboard?
    I tried it out for about 15 seconds. I tried to type the word "are" and it seems to be insisting that i use some exotic foreign a symbol for the first letter! Guess I'm doing something wrong. Do you use it?

ROM
    Stock 4.4.2 KitKat

I tried it out for about 15 seconds. I tried to type the word "are" and it seems to be insisting that i use some exotic foreign a symbol for the first letter! Guess I'm doing something wrong. Do you use it?
    Yeah I use it all the time! Try it out a bit more and tell me what's going wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You might be lingering on the letter for too long. If you press and hold a letter, you get options for alternate characters. Try to trace your finger relatively smoothly over the letters of the word.
    EviI likes this.

The other thing is that it could be the touchscreen issues some people had a while ago. Is your Nexus updated to the latest version?
    Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yes, mine is updated to the latest, just the day before yesterday, but it also one of the very early N7's. The keyboard seems to work better with my finger than the cursor I use, but my fingers are really too big for the little keyboard. Perhaps a different cursor might help.

I didn't think I was lingering on the A too long, but I'll try it again. Also when it sometimes - frequently - types out 3 or 4 letters instead of the one I'm trying to click on it's not because I'm lingering on that key too long, unless it is a microsecond or something...

This is a long shot, but try a cache partition wipe. [GUIDE] Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013) Cache Partition Wipe

Posted via Android Central App
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks, BD. I'll try it.

I use SwiftKey as I find it to be the best typing experience on Android

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes I have to day the default keyboard is not the best one but I use it it seems to do fine..
    MacBookPro, iPad, iPod. My go to device are Nexus5 and Nexus 7(2013).
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I did it, BD, but zero improvement on the keyboard. It seems to have disappeared my Chrome bookmarks for some reason. No big deal. Don't know what else that little operation may have done.

I dowloaded Swiftkey, but immediately un-downloaded it as soon as i saw what they wanted to agree to, namely that i am authorizing Swiftkey to save anything and everything i type including passwords. Check it out for yourself. Nice, huh?

That actually comes up for any 3rd party keyboard. SwiftKey is well established, so I don't worry about that warning.

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

I tried to type the word "are" and it seems to be insisting that i use some exotic foreign a symbol for the first letter! Guess I'm doing something wrong. Do you use it?
    That used to bug me so much too. Look in the Google Keyboard settings under the Advanced section. There is a toggle for using multiple language support....uncheck that.

SwiftKey does allow you to resize your keyboard so you could give that a go. It's a great keyboard (including it's Flow gestures) and I've been using it for a long time after switching over from Swype.
    Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones
    Thanked by:

Two things I have seen cause issues. One, typing while your device is on the charger. Two, typing when you fingers are wet or oily. In both cases the capacitance of the screen can be different than normal.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

" typing while your device is on the charger. ..."

That causes an issue? Yes, it's usually on a charger when I'm trying to type. But I wouldn't think that should cause an issue. You found that to be the case?

Maybe I'll try SwiftKey. I forgot the ones I tried a while back. Well, it's easy enough to try and discard them.

And thanks, Rich. I'll do that later when I get to it.

" typing while your device is on the charger. ..."

That causes an issue? Yes, it's usually on a charger when I'm trying to type. But I wouldn't think that should cause an issue. You found that to be the case.
    I have not tried it with the Nexus 7 since I use a wireless charger. But, with other tables, Nook and Kindle, I have experienced an issue. The current from the charging can bleed make the display extremely sensitive to touch causing duplicate key entry errors. With the Nook this was very bad and was variable depending upon how you held the device. Unplugging the tablet made the issue disappear.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Well, OK, I'll try unplugging it and typing and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas. I would never have thought of that.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Rich215 View Post
    That used to bug me so much too. Look in the Google Keyboard settings under the Advanced section. There is a toggle for using multiple language support....uncheck that.
    I can't find that. Can you tell me how to find Google Keyboard advanced settings?

Settings>Language & Input, then tap the Settings icon next to Google Keyboard, then scroll down to Advanced Settings.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Thanks for the quick response, BD, but I don't see " a toggle for using multiple language support" to uncheck. The closest thing I see is "Language Switch Key", but I don't think that's it.

I'm using Android version 4.4.2

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Bummer George.....it was that Language Switch Key.....I see now also with my 4.4.2 this has no effect. I thought it worked with 4.4. I will do some checking now..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast