Proper charging of the Nexus 7 with a Qi charger

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Just bought a RAVPower Qi charger for my Nexus 7 and love it. Very easy to use and charges my tablet with my Poetic Slimline case on so that is a big plus. My question is this- does it affect the battery at all to give it small charges from time to time rather than letting it drain almost completely and then fully charging? The latter method is the one I used to use when I would plug in overnight after a full days use. With the Qi charging pad it is so easy to just drop the tablet on the pad when not using and let it charge some. This method allows me to always have a pretty well charged battery. But does this method affect battery life in any way? I have seen varying thoughts on this but nothing definitive. Thanks.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Qi charging pads for a couple of years with no ill effects. Charging or topping off a LiIon battery is best for a LiIon battery. Completely draining before charging is the worse thing you can do. That practice is a hold over from the NiCad days. So continue using your Qi charger to top off your device.

This article has some basic tips that match what I do.

Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Yep. I can tell that already. I think the thing I liked least about my Nexus was the USB connection. Always felt like trying to get that plug connected was going to destroy it. With the Qi charger it is incredibly simple. The only drawback I can see is the time it takes to charge a device. Any idea if removing from the case quickens the pace of the charge? Not really necessary I guess but there are times when that would come in handy. Maybe I will try a test this evening to see if no one provides an answer.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It is reasonable to assume it would charge faster without the case, but since my device lives on the charger except when I use it I don't really care. It is always fully charged when I pick it up, and that is all that matters.

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I will test it out this evening. Since at this point my son and I share the one Qi charger I can't have it on there all the time. Perhaps a good excuse to get another.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a RAVPower Qi charger for my Nexus 7 and love it. Very easy to use and charges my tablet with my Poetic Slimline case on so that is a big plus. My question is this- does it affect the battery at all to give it small charges from time to time rather than letting it drain almost completely and then fully charging? The latter method is the one I used to use when I would plug in overnight after a full days use. With the Qi charging pad it is so easy to just drop the tablet on the pad when not using and let it charge some. This method allows me to always have a pretty well charged battery. But does this method affect battery life in any way? I have seen varying thoughts on this but nothing definitive. Thanks.

A ha, I see we have one more wireless charging guy on here now.

I myself just started wirelessly charging not too long ago. what a beautiful thing!!

I have reaped the benefits of wireless charging so extensively that I don't think I'll buy another tablet if it doesn't have wireless charging capability.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I will test it out this evening. Since at this point my son and I share the one Qi charger I can't have it on there all the time. Perhaps a good excuse to get another.

That is the beauty of having the Qi standard. You could run down to the local AT&T store and pick up a Nokia charger and it would work just as well as your RAVPower charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress