Nexus 7: Battery drain from the OS

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Lately my battery seems to be draining much faster. My battery usage app tells me it is mostly the android os and Android system which are using the bulk of the resources. Those two are half the battery usage. Any way to reduce the amount of resources the system uses? Why now after three months would things have changed? Is it possible to have some sort of processes running unnecessarily in the background?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery drain from the OS

Is Location Reporting turned off in Google Settings>Location?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

How about GPS (make sure it's set to "Battery Saving" mode) and NFC--are they on?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Every once every few months a similar thing happens to me, but a quit of all applications and a reboot brings things back to normal. At least least in my case.

doug

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I have GPS set to battery saving and NFC is turned off so that is not the problem. I am going to try quitting all applications and rebooting and see if that helps although I am pretty sure I did that over the weekend. Wondering if something else system wise is running causing the drain.

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

Battery life seems better today after closing all apps and restarting the tablet. Although Android os is still accounting for 50 percent of the usage which still seems like a lot. Maybe my other apps just don't take up a lot. can't complain . Still have sixty eight percent battery left after a decent amount of usage so that is good.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

I have exactly the same problem that began over a week ago. Same stuff turned off as you, plus I've Greenified everything that can be Greenified. Nothing helps including rebooting. The Android OS just drains the crap out of the tablet while it's sleeping. Installed GSAM and it didn't show anything running and neither did Wakelock Detector. Both of these apps are now uninstalled. Something happened out of the blue and I can't figure it out. I hadn't installed any new software or upgraded anything or changed any settings. I have no accounts set to sync. It just happened suddenly and the battery has been draining like crazy. If I wasn't outside the return period I would take it back.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

you have added new apps, so they are running in the background.

i suggest to add “battery doctor" or other similar apps, you can use them to turn off unused apps, etc. pretty useful.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm new to this device forum (just got a N7 2013 for my birthday) so I don't want to step on any toes, but it seems like any battery analysis would have to start by including the three screenshots from the Battery view:
bepebuqe.jpg
je3e9y2e.jpg
tupe5eby.jpg
(these are all from my SGS3, but you get the idea).
Additionally, the stats should be gathered after the device was fully charged, with no intermediate charge cycles and letting it run down to less than 30% (that value made sense on the phone anyway; perhaps a higher value is okay for a tablet since there's no cellular signal and the battery is bigger).

Otherwise you just can't make reasonable comparisons. Just my two cents...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

dcwirtz

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

I've noticed the same battery drain on my 2013 Nexus 7 for the past 10 days or so. I used to be able to go 3 days between charges (light use during the week) and then use the tablet for nearly 10 hours on a weekend and still have battery left. Now I'm having to charge it every single day.

Yesterday, it was fully charged when I went to work and down to 60% when I got home. I used it for about 3 or 4 hours last night and it was down to 4% battery. The biggest offenders listed for battery usage (after the screen) are Android OS and Android System.

Today, I'm losing over 5% per hour, even when I'm not using it. The GPS and NFC changes are the same as they've always been, so they are not the culprit.

gkendall43

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I was having what sounds like the same problem. First I changed Keep WiFi on During Sleep to Only When Plugged In but that didn't fix it. Then I disabled Scanning Always Available and so far it seems fixed. Both of these are under WiFi Advanced settings.

Posted via Android Central App

Misterogee

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
my N7 gen 2 ,runiung great for 5-6 months, started doing this about Mar 4, Battery Doctor showed one game with 53 % batt drain Did Wifi offf, location off, uninstalled some recent apps. Powered off, restarted okay...Usage went down slightly (3/7) Wicked fast drain today, doesn't want to take a full charge. won't reboot, cant get into bootloader using Vol down and Pwr buttons together. I am aware that other users have batteryport connection problems also. (Sun).Went to total batt drain overnight , plugged in charger(icharger works, shows charging my phone), waited ten mins, trying to turn on only indication is light at bottom blinks 5x, ..can charge slightly by manipulating port connection, watching battery settings..either hold conenction or lay N7 on a pencil elevating port and placing book on cable ...it charges a few percentages then shuts stops........ dissapointing
(Mon) just realized it has wireless charge capabilities..(3/10) ordered wireless charger online
Wed 3/19 wireless charger work great.. found one game (even after force stop)show a goodly amount of usage..must have background apps in it.

Last edited:

gtcharlie

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
A few days ago I disabled the scanning always available as well. Seemed to help a decent amount. Now my screen and apps actually use a higher percentage of the battery than the operating system. That seems right to me.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Ive got really strange problem with n7 for the last week or two. Every time i come home my n7 is turned off.. Because of empty charge
. Yesterday before sleep i left it at 20% and when woke up it was turned off. I remember previous n7 could stay asleep the whole day and night with 5% on it. I don't run heavy applications on n7 in fact my wifi policy is set to never keep it active. For comparison i usually charge N5 before sleep i unplug it when it hits 100% and then go to sleep. It usually receives a few notification over night like emails, sms and so on.. And in the morning i get solid 95% of charge left. Now how come n5 with LTE and sync ON drains 5% over night while asleep and n7 can drain up to 20% while being disconnected from network?

N7 got no battery apps or any modification to OS in fact i keep as stock as it came out of the box. I only watch videos on it and reading. No games, no social apps no calling apps. N5 got all of those for my needs.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar problem, and the culprit was the new Google Newsstand. I checked ?download while charging only? in settings, and now I'm back to my normal battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non