Fetching media files form the Nexus 7 via USB

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I connect USB cable to my Linux desktop PC and Nexus 7 pops up in my file explorer. But it only works in PTP mode, MTP does nothing. I can only see DCIM and Pictures folders, but that's OK, I only want to get photos & videos out of the Nexus. But accessing files is unreliable. Sometimes I can read some photos but mostly not. Permissions problem? Any ideas?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you thought about using a wifi file Explorer to browse the device without USB? That may address your issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Have you thought about using a wifi file Explorer to browse the device without USB? That may address your issue.

Yes, ES File Explorer can browse shares on my LAN and copy files in either direction. But video files are large and wi-fi is slow compared to direct USB connection. ALSo, ES File Explorer stores usernames & passwords permanently, and given the recent revelations we can?t be sure that Google isn?t sharing this data with the NSA. Honestly, I don?t trust all these applets in the Google ecosystem,, I would much prefer an open source OS like Ubuntu touch.

cab2

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Well, it turns out I had a bad USB cable. I replaced it and file access work OK now.

Regarding wifi, is there a file explorer app that handles LAN passwords better than ES File Explorer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non