Quicker way to Kill Apps on Nexus 7 (2013) with Lollipop 5.0 update?

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
It seems to me We, all of us, bought these phones and should have the right to control what runs on them; period. If I finish with an app and want to close it it should remain closed. I have been scanning the forums for ways to preserve battery life and stop overheating in lollipop. And, I keep seeing a lot of pain from users followed by a lot of corporate BS about why we are wrong for wanting to manage our phones; I am a security guy and that is just the wrong attitude - You have every right to expect you should be able to manage your phone. If you read the EULA its your responsibility too. Well its time to get to the definitive core of what absolutely has to run and from there our right to uninstall bloatware (apps I don't want and cannot uninstall like the stupid collages app that makes slideshows of the week/months pictures) and if I want to start & stop the occasional apps it should not restart. Myself I have 50-60 apps that I run occasionally but many will be in the list of apps consuming resources after I close them, many will autorestart after they are closed. So for those who say the phone will autostop apps and don't worry they will not consume battery and resources; that's crap. these comments could be from folks who do not use their phone. Android Central your audience is begging you; throughout the forums, to allow the user to have back the control of their phones - How can we make that a reality?

fredsie

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Why do you stop apps running in the background. Most have minimal impact on memory since Android will trim them back if it needs memory. Also, if they are well coded they should have minimal or no impact on battery life when the device is sleeping.

Whenever there's a post about killing apps there's invariably a suggestion that it's not necessary for the reason stated above. I'd like to share why I think that's wrong, or at least not working for me.

If I leave my phone on for an extended period - more than a day or so, performance drops off dramatically, particularly in loading images and other memory-hungry things. I have "System info for Android" installed, and after a reboot this typically shows Free RAM of around 60%. But when performance has dropped to a level where the phone's barely usable, the Free RAM may be more like 15-18%.

But then if I use the "swipe" method to close all background apps, the Free RAM jumps back 50% or more, and I can again use the phone normally, with images appearing instantly etc. So you can understand that I can't readily accept that "Android will trim them back if it needs memory"; that simply doesn't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87