is my tablet done for?

Corey Drew

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
My nexus 7 died while my daughter was playing with it as is the case most of the time. we have had it for almost a year exactly. After the tablet died i plugged it in overnight. i plugged it in and the battery indicator came on to show it was charging. The next morning i wiggled the cord to check battery status since the cat sometimes knocks the cord out. It said it was full and as soon as i unplugged it nothing happened. the screen never turned on and when i plugged it back in the battery never showed up on the screen again.. I tried for days to fix it with all the suggestions online and nothing. so i finally sent it in for RMA with 1 month left on my warranty. Asus said I have water damage which i dont understand cuz it was fine when plugged in and untouched overnight. they wanted 265$ to fix it! i can get a new one for 189$!! So they sent it back and now when i plug it in i get the battery icon the screen again and i plugged it in overnight and the battery says its full but i still cant get it to turn on.. I have held the power button down for 30 secs. as well as power and volume down for 30 secs. as well as unplugging than plugging right back in and pushing buttons and nothing.. I just dont know what would be wrong when the screen works cuz the battery icon comes on but it wont turn on.. is it toast?

Corey Drew

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
well the rma quote is gone from the website so i cant quote but i remember them saying something about the power button needing to be replaced.. is that hard to replace?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could check out the IFixit website to see if they have a teardown. It shouldn't be too difficult to replace.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
30 seconds is not enough. my first nexus 7, i pressed on power button for at least a minute, i think. then it will power on again.

Corey Drew

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
is there any way of telling if the power button is actually broke? since the battery icon comes on and shows it charging when i plug in is it safe to assume the screen is fine?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
asus already told you u have water damage. if you pressed on the power button for a long time, and there is nothing going on . then it is time to recycle the tablet.

since there is nothing you can do about it any more. of course, u can open it yourself and see if there is anything you can do.

Corey Drew

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
yeah, i opened it up but i dont really see anything wrong with it. asus wanted to replace the ffc cable, lcd cable, subboard, power button, battery and back cover. it just seems like it should be a easy fix since it still charges and the screen works fine when the battery icon shows up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non