Google Discontinues Nexus 7

BigFoot48

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I hope to continue to use mine for many years - a great device!

If you're in the market for an affordable, highly-rated, not-too-big-not-too-small tablet, your chances to buy the Nexus 7 are quickly running out. If you were planning to purchase one from Google directly, then your ship has already sailed. That's because the company officially discontinued the 7-inch tablet on Friday, and is no longer selling it on the Google Store's website. You can still find one from other places, but you better act fast.
Google officially discontinues Nexus 7 tablet - SlashGear

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I love how the nexus line continues to get the latest updates from Android even though our device is discontinued lol

The Nexus devices are definitely one of the best things to ever come to Android.

Bring on 5.1.1 & 5.2 😎

Posted via the Android Central App

CosCS

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
How long does it take before they stop updating a device that has been discontinued? I hope to use my Nexus for a few more years

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I think it will get at least one more update. The 2012 N7 got the lollipop update and it was disconnected some time back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
You can still get it on Groupon for a few days for $149.99: http://touch.groupon.com/deals/gg-asus-google-nexus-7-16gb-7-android-tablet

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm contemplating whether or not to pick up a 32GB model. It's on sale at a good price. I don't need another tablet though as I already have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini 3. However it would be nice to have an android device again as I'm all Apple at the moment. I do have a chrome-cast though.

mfprince

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm contemplating whether or not to pick up a 32GB model. It's on sale at a good price. I don't need another tablet though as I already have an iPad Air 2 and an iPad mini 3. However it would be nice to have an android device again as I'm all Apple at the moment. I do have a chrome-cast though.

Yes, you do :)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How long does it take before they stop updating a device that has been discontinued? I hope to use my Nexus for a few more years

It's reasonable to expect updates for about 2 years, but so far even the 2012 Nexus 7 is still getting updates, so we don't know the answer yet. Honestly, it may depend more on when new updates take advantage of newer hardware, and thus just aren't compatible with the older devices, like when PCs went to 64bit processors.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site

Link to sale...

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
didn't hurt to ask, right? I got one lined up but if I can find a better deal, then GREAT!!!

I'm in the UK. The nexus 7 2013 32GB model is on sale for £149.99 right now from Argos.

I guess you are in the U.S. Though.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the UK. The nexus 7 2013 32GB model is on sale for £149.99 right now from Argos.

I guess you are in the U.S. Though.

Yes, I am in the US but that price converts to $230.36 USD. That would be high for a discontinued device... But thanks!!!

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am in the US but that price converts to $230.36 USD. That would be high for a discontinued device... But thanks!!!

The price was £230 at launch in the UK. We always get ripped off with conversions.

Now the price has dropped to £130 for the 32GB model too good for me to miss out on even if it will be my third tablet!

I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I hope they aren't still providing Nexus 7s with Google Fiber TV installs.. My Nexus 7 went belly up last year, and I'd prefer they provide something newer when they hook me up next weekend.