Wifi draining battery

rbecking

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
have nexus 7 2013 running 6.0.1, not impressed by battery life, when I check the battery settings it says 40% of battery life been used by wifi. I have have wifi notifications off and wifi set to never in sleep mode. Any ideas?

rgeese

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing the exact same problem with an identical unit and 6.0.1. I don't remember this being a problem before the 6.0.1 update. I don't use the tab a lot, but if I leave the wifi on, even though I have it set to turn off when asleep, it will drain the battery at an amazing rate. I counter the problem by just turning wifi off (if I remember) when I am done using the device. I've tried many things to fix the problem wit no success. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

drake261

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue on my nexus 6p. The fix is to go to Settings->location->scanning(upper right corner) and turn OFF wifi/bluetooth scanning. This should fix your issue. These settings are turned on for precise location settings only.

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I have this damn bug and I've tried everything. Turning off WiFi, disabling WiFi scan, clearing the cache partition. Nothing has fixed it. I'm going to have to reset my device. This is absolute bull****. How does this pass QA??? WiFi at the top of battery stats and killing the device in less than a day should be really easy to spot!!!!

ChairSpud

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
The 6.0.1 update drains my battery quickly too even with wifi off. Sad but my solution has been to stop using the tablet and instead use another nexus 7 2013 that has not been updated with 6.0.1. Sure hope they get this sorted out soon!

rgeese

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I am experiencing the exact same problem with an identical unit and 6.0.1. I don't remember this being a problem before the 6.0.1 update. I don't use the tab a lot, but if I leave the wifi on, even though I have it set to turn off when asleep, it will drain the battery at an amazing rate. I counter the problem by just turning wifi off (if I remember) when I am done using the device. I've tried many things to fix the problem wit no success. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I tried all the suggestions found here, and nothing worked. So, I finally got around to doing a factory reset, and Voila! All is well! What used to be an overnight 30% battery loss if the wifi was left on is now gone. In fact, the battery curve is essentially flat overnight with the wifi on. The factory reset was not nearly as bad as I expected. An afternoon of playing had me up and running with everything restored. The only thing I lost was the colorful wallpaper the the original N7 had, but that is a small price to pay to have the battery problem fixed.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here. Have wifi set to off on sleep, location scanning off and the wifi indicator is off when I initially wake the device. However GSam show wifi constantly on. Only manually toggling wifi off will stop it from appearing on. Fortunately drain is a minor +/- 1%/hr for me.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Check out these conflicting battery reports. Wifi set to 'only when plugged in' and no scanning; Location set to device only. Charged to 100%, took it off charge at about 8pm and used it for about five minutes at 11pm, then set it aside for the night with battery still showing 100%. Today's first use of the device (almost 15 hours later) revealed this GSAM report:

Screenshot_20160422-103309.jpg

Note the 23% battery loss with only 6 minutes of SOT and 9 minutes held awake. Note also that the Wifi on time is almost an hour less than the time off charger. According to GSAM, wifi was 78% of the battery usage. The 8% app usage was all Play Services (23% x 8% = normal 2% battery usage over 14+ hours).

Now check out this system battery report:

Screenshot_20160422-103417.jpg

Note the system sees wifi as being off! Shows just the 11pm SOT and brief wifi associated with that, and shows virtually no wakelocks. Very strange.

This problem comes and goes. Last week I had wifi set to always on and had no abnormal battery discharge. Mostly I put it into airplane mode when I'm done, which does fully shut down wifi. Obviously would prefer that 'off when asleep' would just handle that properly.

zicodani

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
Remove the back cover. Locate the two gold colored wifi antenna clips (they will match with the gold strips on the back cover, which are labeled 'wifi'. These strips are the WiFi antenna)

Bend the clips upwards very very gently, so that you don't break them. Now the clips will have much contact with the antenna. Put the cover back on. Hopefully your WiFi connection will be much stronger, and because your nexus 7 is not working its *** off to get a connection, the battery will work much better too. This is one of the best and simplest fixes I ever found for anything, ever!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa