Nexus 7 Play Store Customer Service - Or Lack thereof

otherbot

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got of the phone with Play customer service. When asked about why I have received no communication while Gamestop customers were picking their tablets up, they said:
Gamestop's special relationship allowed them to release it today. Google asked them not to but they went ahead.
Google had shipping problems with Australia and they wanted to do a global same day launch so they decided to hold everything to "be fair to Australian customers" They didn't want one group to have Nexus 7's while others waited.
He could not comment on ship dates other than to say "within the next few days"

When I pointed out that Gamestop customers were getting theirs while Play customers went without he said, "Yes, but they have to drive in to get them. Shipping customers are still waiting."

I asked about either getting a refund or a play store credit for the shipping charges. I said it would be a good faith move on their part for the poor communication and handling of this issue. He said he was not authorized to handle this request. I said that I waited on hold for 40 minutes, I could wait longer to get a duty manager or somebody else to approve. He said that nobody could approve that.

I said, "Are you saying that Google is at the point where it can not effectively respond to its customers' needs? That nobody in customer service can do anything for me?"

He responded, "Nobody can do anything for you. You need to be patient and wait. There will be no credit for your inconvenience. Please be patient."

And with that, I decided to not buy the Nexus phone. I've been wanting one since I ordered the tablet but I'll be damned if I'm going to deal with this total lack of regard for the customer. I love android, but I'll buy from a carrier and deal with them or their vendor. How bad is Google's customer service when you hear a customer say they'd rather deal with AT&T? Now THAT is bad service.

Great job Google. While I'll still advocate for Android, Google has a long way to go if it wants to compete in anything other than software. What a joke!

I ordered mine on June 28th and no charge to card yet.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
1) They told you why Gamestop was selling early (aka, Gamstop is a shady company)
2) They said WHY there was a delay (and it's for a good reason)

Why do they owe you ANYTHING because gamestop is a horrible company?

Where did google poorly communicate ANYTHING to you?

They explained everything to do and (from the sound of it) were apologetic. You received great customer service. Just because someone else broke the rules doesn't mean they owe you something.

ack154

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So what you're saying is that you're fed up with Google because they aren't willing to give in to your request for credit for something they haven't even done wrong? Could they provide more communication? Sure. But if they said "we're going to ship on 7/11" and you didn't get your shipment notice on 7/11 because of a potential issue, then what?

They are still well within their original estimate of 2-3 weeks. They owe you nothing as far as additional credit goes and to expect such a thing is ludicrous.

I'm not saying it's awesome that the GS people get theirs before the Play preorders (I have one preordered myself)... but I'm saying that is out of Googles' hands.

I do, however, find it slightly ironic that the delay is possibly caused by not wanting an unfair release to one group of people (AUS) but that's exactly the situation we're in because of trying to prevent that. But I'm also patient enough to wait it out and realize they're doing the best they can...

And everyone calling them 10 times a day asking when they're going to ship isn't going to help that one bit...

Reactions: paul-c and Menno

otherbot

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Your missing the point. They communicated almost nothing. I waited 40 minutes to get some sort of answer - as poor as it was. Why is Gamestop shady? They paid for inventory to sit on the floor? I don't think so.

I understand your point, but if you read the forums, you'll see plenty of upset customers and the gist of that is they have had poor communication about delivery dates.

The product sits on warehouse floors and nobody knows why.

They did apologize, but offered nothing but what sounded like excuses. This is the first time I've complained out loud about Google. As I've said, I'm still planning on advocating Android. I understand if you think I'm just some troll. Perhaps I'm not explaining my situation well enough, but to act like I have no point seems a bit too dismissive.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Just got of the phone with Play customer service. When asked about why I have received no communication while Gamestop customers were picking their tablets up, they said:
Gamestop's special relationship allowed them to release it today. Google asked them not to but they went ahead.
Google had shipping problems with Australia and they wanted to do a global same day launch so they decided to hold everything to "be fair to Australian customers" They didn't want one group to have Nexus 7's while others waited.
He could not comment on ship dates other than to say "within the next few days"

When I pointed out that Gamestop customers were getting theirs while Play customers went without he said, "Yes, but they have to drive in to get them. Shipping customers are still waiting."

I asked about either getting a refund or a play store credit for the shipping charges. I said it would be a good faith move on their part for the poor communication and handling of this issue. He said he was not authorized to handle this request. I said that I waited on hold for 40 minutes, I could wait longer to get a duty manager or somebody else to approve. He said that nobody could approve that.

I said, "Are you saying that Google is at the point where it can not effectively respond to its customers' needs? That nobody in customer service can do anything for me?"

He responded, "Nobody can do anything for you. You need to be patient and wait. There will be no credit for your inconvenience. Please be patient."

And with that, I decided to not buy the Nexus phone. I've been wanting one since I ordered the tablet but I'll be damned if I'm going to deal with this total lack of regard for the customer. I love android, but I'll buy from a carrier and deal with them or their vendor. How bad is Google's customer service when you hear a customer say they'd rather deal with AT&T? Now THAT is bad service.

Great job Google. While I'll still advocate for Android, Google has a long way to go if it wants to compete in anything other than software. What a joke!

I ordered mine on June 28th and no charge to card yet.

Your experience seems similar to mine when I had to get a replacement Galaxy Nexus - you spoke to a rep that was polite, patient, answered all your questions, apologized, and did everything in their power to make you happy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: Retiredfinally

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
An automated recording that can be heard through Google’s Support line, they've announced that Nexus 7 orders are shipping today and that all pre-orders will ship within the next three business days. Once your tablet ships, you will receive a confirmation email from Google. Calling them will get you no where – you have to sit back and wait for the shipping email to arrive. To hear the good news for yourself, you can listen to the recording by calling Google Support at 1-855-83-NEXUS.

Reactions: Menno

Jedi Neo

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Why did you preorder if they didn't have a release date that satisfied you? They gave you 2-3 week time frame, we are only finishing week 2.

Reactions: cohoman

otherbot

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. I've been in customer service before and I felt like this experience was not a good one.

I agree that they have no contract with me because I pre-ordered without anything more than mid-July. I simply feel that when there is stock on the floor and you have customers shaking a fist full of dollars, you take their money and ship the stock. The only time you don't do that, is when sending to them could be worse. Like they have a known problem and they want to patch it or otherwise fix it.

Just release a statement. Also, when I ordered it, there were no other pre-orders I was aware of. For all I knew I was only going to get this from them. Shame on me for being so excited to get this. I wanted it when Asus first announced it- before Google paid to slap their name on it.

I guess I'm being unreasonable to expect better.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Your missing the point. They communicated almost nothing. I waited 40 minutes to get some sort of answer - as poor as it was. Why is Gamestop shady? They paid for inventory to sit on the floor? I don't think so.

I understand your point, but if you read the forums, you'll see plenty of upset customers and the gist of that is they have had poor communication about delivery dates.

The product sits on warehouse floors and nobody knows why.

They did apologize, but offered nothing but what sounded like excuses. This is the first time I've complained out loud about Google. As I've said, I'm still planning on advocating Android. I understand if you think I'm just some troll. Perhaps I'm not explaining my situation well enough, but to act like I have no point seems a bit too dismissive.

You had to wait 40 minutes people a ton of people are calling with the exact same question because they can't wait for the initial launch window to pass.

You don't have a point. Gamestop DID pay to have the devices sit on the floor. That's the point of a street date. You play by the company's rules and you get the product at launch. Gamestop is shady because they broke those rules.

And as Chris said, call the playstore again.. you'll get a nice preroll that tells you WHEN the pre-orders will ship.

Google shouldn't be responsible for apologizing for Gamestop. the only thing they should do is blackball the retailer so they never get another nexus launch.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Why did you preorder if they didn't have a release date that satisfied you? They gave you 2-3 week time frame, we are only finishing week 2.

actually if people were able to pre order on the 27th with a time frame of 2-3 weeks we are actually 2 days into the 3rd week.

However according to their message on the phone, they will have all pre orders shipped by Wednesday next week (the last day of week 3)

So in essence they were correct, however i do wish they could have communicated more to all of us who did pre order, that is my only gripe with them. As long as i get it by Friday next week i'll be happy.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm more upset about the fact that I'm paying more as a Google Play customer.

Here in Ontario, with our 13% sales tax, the $19 shipping charge is $21.47 total. I was under the impression that Google Play customers were getting the $25 credit as compensation for shipping.

Now I found out that Gamestop customers pay no shipping and still get the credit. So essentially, I'm paying $21.47 to avoid a 15 minute stop on my way home to pick up the Nexus 7.

I won't be ordering from Google Play again.

highfrequency

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
You had to wait 40 minutes people a ton of people are calling with the exact same question because they can't wait for the initial launch window to pass.

You don't have a point. Gamestop DID pay to have the devices sit on the floor. That's the point of a street date. You play by the company's rules and you get the product at launch. Gamestop is shady because they broke those rules.

And as Chris said, call the playstore again.. you'll get a nice preroll that tells you WHEN the pre-orders will ship.

Google shouldn't be responsible for apologizing for Gamestop. the only thing they should do is blackball the retailer so they never get another nexus launch.

Jason you got this thread on lock! Love you key points!

Google said mid July is when they would ship we are still with in mid july i am a happy Google Customer!

You all can watch the I/O keynote. Where they say mid July several times the device will ship. Its still mid July. Google's communication to customers check!

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...Google just cant seem to get releases right for some reason...either a carrier messes up their phone or a retailer does their own thing. They need to put the hammer down and follow apples logic with releases. You release early, next time you wont get any stock or just very limited stock. The press for the N7 is awesome. They need to do something with the deployment.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My credit card was just charged, BUT still no email from google or myups. I'm a 6/27 mid day orderer.

ack154

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people need to reset their expectations on this stuff. Google never promised you would have your device in hand before people who did not pre-order. That may have been their intention, but as much as they'd like to, they can't control GameStop and their general douchebaggery.

If you expected to get your device before anyone else and are now mad at Google that you didn't, I'm not sure why that's Google's problem. They never told you that you'd be the first to have it. They didn't make that promise. You assumed it.

And having said that, I would still wait a couple days for a pre-order from Google before I give GS any of my money...

Reactions: cohoman

Jedi Neo

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
actually if people were able to pre order on the 27th with a time frame of 2-3 weeks we are actually 2 days into the 3rd week.

However according to their message on the phone, they will have all pre orders shipped by Wednesday next week (the last day of week 3)

So in essence they were correct, however i do wish they could have communicated more to all of us who did pre order, that is my only gripe with them. As long as i get it by Friday next week i'll be happy.

So having a major holiday tossed in there means nothing? What more do you want them to communicate? 2-3 weeks was the given time frame. Everyone (GS, Staples, Sams) is a preorder customer for this product.

I blame social media for all of this. Everyone needs instant gratification. Patience is a virtue that apparently has been lost.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The moral of the story is a simple one for me. Google doesn't give any sort of preference or priority for Google Play customers over its retail partners. Actually, they defer to their retail partners.

In the future, I'll be buying through retail instead. Google just rewarded my loyalty by making me pay more for the same product than customers of its retail partners, for absolutely no benefit. I'm not getting the device any faster. And I'm not being compensated for committing capital early and sight unseen. And I'm being penalized substantially for not picking up the device in store. Gamestop customers should either not be getting the $25 credit, or Google Play customers should be receiving substantially more.

Lesson learned. In the future, I'll know to pre-order with Gamestop first. Apparently, Google won't penalize them when they break the rules. And actually rewards Gamestop customers with lower prices.

Reactions: MinistrOfJustiz

otherbot

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The moral of the story is a simple one for me. Google doesn't give any sort of preference or priority for Google Play customers over its retail partners. Actually, they defer to their retail partners.

In the future, I'll be buying through retail instead. Google just rewarded my loyalty by making me pay more for the same product than customers of its retail partners, for absolutely no benefit. I'm not getting the device any faster. And I'm not being compensated for committing capital early and sight unseen. And I'm being penalized substantially for not picking up the device in store. Gamestop customers should either not be getting the $25 credit, or Google Play customers should be receiving substantially more.

Lesson learned. In the future, I'll know to pre-order with Gamestop first. Apparently, Google won't penalize them when they break the rules. And actually rewards Gamestop customers with lower prices.

I think my frustration is based on my learning this lesson too. You could not be more right.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

And the moral of reading this is that you don't understand how launched work. Again Gamestop getting product early has NO BEARING on when pre-orders ship

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meer