Do I really need 32 gb on the Nexus 7?

KLiz

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. And sorry for starting a squabble. I didn't feel belittled, but I'm married to a man who doesn't always put things in the most diplomatic terms either. :) But thank you for your defense, YAYTech.

I got enough 16 GB votes that I'm still leaning in that direction. But if I live to regret it, I promise to come on here and say "You were right; I was wrong" to all the 32 GB voters.

KLiz

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Suntan, what do you think the primary advantage of the Kindle fire is? I have looked a little in that direction, but my impression from the reviews I read was that the reading on the Nexus would be just as easy/good (and maybe easier in terms of accessing content from different sources). But it seemed like web/email/app use on the Kindle was going to be more complicated and/or limited. So my conclusion was that the Nexus was a more flexible device with a comparable price point to the Kindle Fire. But I'm open to correction on that -- haven't bought anything yet!

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
As an avid reader and owner of Kindles as well as the N7, I almost always prefer my Kindle e-Ink screen for reading over the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7.

The reader is just nicer to use, easier on the eyes, smaller, lighter. No reason you can not have both the nexus 16 GB and use the money you saved to pay for most of the $79 dollar kindle, which is just awesome for reading.

edit:
Hah !! it's 69 dollars right now !!

Kindle - Best-Selling Ereader - Only $69

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If you are going to be watching videos and such, there is always the option of getting an OTG cable. You can then plug in a flash drive and use Nexus Media Importer to stream them. That way, you are only limited to the number of flash drives you carry with you. I have quite a number of videos on a 32GB flash drive and am able to watch without issue.

That being said, I tend to load up my tablet and would have loved to have the 32GB option when I got my Nexus 7.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Say you "respectfully disagree" doesn't mean you're being respectful either, right?...

Now you're getting it. ;)

I think you may want go up a size or two on your underwear and save your flaming for PM's.....

If you think I was flaming, you may want to avoid exploring the darker corners of the internet. There was no name calling or insults. I simply pointed out that the way you stated your point could easily come across in a negative tone. And my simply pointing that out seems to have gotten you upset. That wasn't my intention, but instead to get you to try a little harder to see the other point of view in this discussion.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
16 would be plenty for the usage case outlined in the OP.

Also, if you are planning to use it as an Ereader first, and everything else a distant second, I would suggest having a serious look at one of the Kindle fires too.

-Suntan

Well he can run the Kindle app on the Nexus 7 and for the same price as a Kindle Fire, it's a whole lot better and does more.

Personally I prefer a regular e-ink Kindle for reading. Much nicer than reading on a color, backlit LCD/LED screen.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Well he can run the Kindle app on the Nexus 7 and for the same price as a Kindle Fire, it's a whole lot better and does more.

It is good to note, though, that the Kindle app doesn't give access to the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, so a really avid reader might find enough value in that to put up with some of the downsides of the Fire. Just something to consider.

paulinVA

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I remember when I had a computer with a 32MB hard drive. No one could imagine filling up 32 MEGAbytes. Now my phone can store more data.

Just sayin'.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the 32 and I believe it's way more than enough. I only use about 4 gigs of that since I formatted and lost all my tunes. But it's great just to know that I don't have to worry

Rastafari is my king

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Most apps don't use up a whole lot of space, with the exception of some games, since you aren't going to use it for games there shouldn't be a problem there. Ebooks don't take up much space, so they should be a problem, so of your uses music is the only use that might require the 32GB model, therefore it just depends on how much music you will want to store on your Nexus 7. Bear in mind that on the 16GB model you only get about 13GB of usable storage and you may want say 2GB for apps to be on the safe side, you should be able to work out if the remaining space will be enough for the music you want to keep.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It is good to note, though, that the Kindle app doesn't give access to the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, so a really avid reader might find enough value in that to put up with some of the downsides of the Fire. Just something to consider.

This is pretty much the response I was going to give.

I'm not saying that the N7 isn't a great little gadget (I did buy one myself) but Amazon has done a good job of building its own ecosystem. And honestly (for as much gnashing of teeth as this comment will cause by us nerds out there) the kindles do seem to be more user friendly for a person that doesn't actually have a desire to tinker with their tech toys.

To the OP, look at what Amazon offers. Specifically with their prime membership and access to the Lending Library that it offers (in addition to the selection of streaming content and free shipping.) That may offer a more compelling option for you.

As for email and whatnot, I haven't used the kindle email client, but it does say it has native support for gmail, hotmail, yahoo and exchange syncing. Sounds fairly comprehensive.

Finally, I would agree with the comment above that if a person is looking for a gadget that is *specifically* for e reading and nothing else, the self-lit paper-white kindle would be the #1 choice over any of the LCD based tablets.

-Suntan

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'd already read that from you, and while I agree with the missing SD slot, do you have something against profit? My 401k kinda depends on it....

Profit is OK. Price gouging is another. Every manufacturer has gotten away with the 50-100 dollar price bump to double memory. People are OK with that so they do it. Same with the activation fees. Was 18, a minimal amount of complaints so they upped it to 36. They will charge what they can. I understand economics and all but 50 bucks for a 2 dollar upgrade is annoying. Especially when you have no options.

That said, I would have recommended the 16 when it was 8 or 16. 8 just isn't enough on a media device. Up to the person if previous history shows 16 (~14 usable) is enough.

I realize it is the way it is and has been really since flash was used in portable devices. Thing is it used to be expensive memory. Now flash storage is so much cheaper but we have the same price hikes. Cost of materials went down, way down, and price bumps remained constant. No one complains = more profit. Great for companies, crappy for consumers. No saying boycott or petition, but it still doesn't make it less annoying that is got cheaper and we consumers are still paying the same prices.

Bernie Madoff made a nice profit, illegal, but nice profit.

Hell, my name wife is aghast with the price hikes on wireless chargers, $100 margins on eBay for the Nexus and Bumpers for 80-100 alone. Its just people making a profit, its perfectly legal, and still very annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Finally, I would agree with the comment above that if a person is looking for a gadget that is *specifically* for e reading and nothing else, the self-lit paper-white kindle would be the #1 choice over any of the LCD based tablets.

-Suntan

For a more helpful comment that is more on topic I love my paperwhite. I have charged it once since I got it and then it didn't really need it. If reading is number one go for it. While it does have a browser it can be a pain to use. I have checked email on it but amazon ain't kidding when they say experimental. Only has 2 gigs but ebooks are tiny. Plus you can send any book or file to it and save it in your archive, the cloud, for free and download on demand. Not just purchased kindle books.

It can be hard to find a good book from the lending library and you only get one a month, so it is a good feature, but not one you should buy the kindle for exclusively.

I had a nook tablet to read and sold it to get the kindle paperwhite. Even rooted with dual boot I think I use my kindle more. (Helps I have a nexus 4 now and not a tiny iPhone 4s anymore) I got it because I like to read when I go to bed and hated an external light. On the other hand my wife's family goes to the beach once a year and its a pain in the butt to read the nook tablet it in bright sunlight but I lived through it. Can't wait to read on the beach now.

Also to note, unlike other kindles, the paperwhite has no speakers, headphone jack or any audio capabilities. I don't mind as I do audio books on my phone, but some people didn't notice and got pissed when they realized their new toy didn't do audio books or MP3's. That is why the 2gb isn't a big deal, with no large audio files you can get a ton of books on 2gb.

For someone who wants to read, and just read with an occasional email check or blog read, get the paperwhite. If you want to web browse a lot, get the nexus. I am happy with my combination of larger phone, than iPhone, and paperwhite. Of course I think paperwhite is not gonna be in stock until December 20 and promised to arrive barely before Christmas. So if you want something now without an eBay premium then it isn't even an option. But not a long wait anymore. Shorter than some waited for the Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

True.

Personally, when I'm reading, I like to JUST read and I don't like to do it on an eye-tiring backlit screen or with a bunch of distractions like facebook and games and notifications ringing, so I use an e-ink Kindle for real reading.

When I want a tablet, I use my Nexus 7.

To me, the Kindle Fire just seems like too much of a compromise. It's not ideal for reading and it's not a particularly good tablet. Sure having two seperate devices is a compromise too I suppose, but I can read Kindle books on my Nexus if I want to and I don't happen to have my Kindle with me.

It's my impression that serious readers do not use Kindle Fire's. You wouldn't want to read on a screen like that for more than an hour, it gets washed out in sunlight and the battery life is about 1/20 of an e-ink Kindle.

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well almost 5 GB is on the 32GB version is taken up by the OS and formatting. Idk exactly how much is taken up on the 16GB version but Apps are getting larger and I like to put my .mp4 torrents on there and have videos/music/apps on there without having to do the memory juggling. Its $50 and worth the upgrade.

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Ive had the 16gb since September & have been mindful of deleting unused apps & data to avoid a slowdown that might be caused by having around 2gb or less free space ( Ive read that filling half the internal memory can start causing a slowdown , but also read otherwise....) I have been happy with the 16gb myself & have plenty or room left. side note just rooted so I have the option of Stickmount & otg use with a flashdrive..

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Suntan, what do you think the primary advantage of the Kindle fire is? I have looked a little in that direction, but my impression from the reviews I read was that the reading on the Nexus would be just as easy/good (and maybe easier in terms of accessing content from different sources). But it seemed like web/email/app use on the Kindle was going to be more complicated and/or limited. So my conclusion was that the Nexus was a more flexible device with a comparable price point to the Kindle Fire. But I'm open to correction on that -- haven't bought anything yet!

I have the original Fire and a 16 gb Nexus. What you intend to use it for is very much what I use mine for. It's true that the Kindle Owner's Lending Library isn't available on the Nexus (it's strictly for Kindle devices), but I've watched Amazon Prime videos on my N7 with no issues. The reason I moved to the N7 from the Fire is that I found the carousel on the Fire incredibly annoying. I like tinkering and making my screens the way I want them, and with the Fire, you can do it, but you have to sideload a launcher to do it, and then you have to go to the Kindle launcher (carousel) in order to get to your books, movies, etc. DH and I were sharing it, so he could read his Runner's World, and I decided I wanted a device I didn't have to share. I just don't like that the carousel shows every activity you've done on the Fire front and center. I don't necessarily want to share everything I've been reading, my emails, etc. with everyone who picks it up at the house.

Bear in mind, too, that you can't use Gmail on the Fire, can't download from the Google Play Store (you have to sideload), and can "natively" get apps only from the Amazon store. I'm a big Amazon fan. I've been a Prime member for years, but for me, the N7 fits my needs better. I hardly pick up my Kindle Touch (except to read a Lending Library book), and never use the Fire any more. I guess I'm more of a tinkerer and like the freedom of the N7. The Fire is a great device, and the wonderful thing these days is that there's so much choice! There's something for everyone.

EnlightenedSoul

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I say if you are planning on keeping this beast then get the 32gb, but if you are easy to change your mind then the 16gb is perfect. Personally I am too cheap to splurge for the 32gb lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38