Nexus Player - Android TV: What do you want it to be able to do?

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
sorry, I'm late to the party and I hope nobody asked this....but... will this thing let me run any app on my TV? or is it like roku where there has to be a dedicated app?

Posted via the Android Central App with my Moto X G1

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
sorry, I'm late to the party and I hope nobody asked this....but... will this thing let me run any app on my TV? or is it like roku where there has to be a dedicated app?

Posted via the Android Central App with my Moto X G1
It look to me like it is full Playstore access, there haven't been any signs to contradict that.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The Amazon Fire TV is pretty much in the same position with respect to apps. You can easily sideload anything without rooting but root is available if you desire. Amazon kept it simple.

The only hang up was keyboard support initially so apps that needed them were problematic. I think this was addressed though.

wikoogle

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I am very impressed by the hardware. The CPU and GPU leapfrog every other set top box on the market. But for me, Google really needs to invest more of its developers into fixing the software situation. That's the only way I will believe they aren't planning to abandon it like they have so many other ventures.

Gaming matters, but not in the way most people think IMO. No one will ever opt for this over a PS4. Trying to compete with dedicated consoles is a fools errand. Abandon that pipe dream and instead work on making this device the perfect companion device to our gaming consoles. Aim to make it so that anything you can do with a htpc, you can do with the nexus player. Let us install emulators and xbmc on it. Let us get our PS4 or Ouya controllers working flawlessly on it. Let us stream games from our desktops steam library on it. Work with sony to get playstation tv and ps4 remote play on it.

Google, offer to code these apps and support for third party controllers (ps4 controller, xbox 360 controller, wii u pro controller and Ouya controller) yourself if that’s what it takes to get these controllers working flawlessly on the Nexus Player. We all have ps4, 360, wii u pro or Ouya controllers lying around. Don't make us buy more controllers, make drivers yourself if need be to let us use any of our existing Bluetooth controllers on the nexus player flawlessly.

Do those and you will turn me into active developer for your device.

So what about you. What does Google have to do to get you to develop for the nexus player?

Last edited by a moderator:

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
My number one would be full app availability. If it could have every app that's available on my tablet, I'd be in. If all it is is a different device that has the same standard app as pretty much every other streaming box, I'm better off not replacing my roku/Chromecast combo.

Posted via Android Central App

Andvarix

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Watched the video, last 15 seconds show the security setting checkbox for Unknown Apps, YAY! Just need to know about controller support as well. Bluetooth devices show, so I wouldn't image why you couldn't use a BT controller.

fosite

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I want full HDMI CEC input control, for example if I'm watching Directv on HDMI 1 and my Nexus Player is on HDMI 2 and I use the voice commands for Netflix or YouTube I want it to be able to change the input automatically.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty