Delete from device but keep on Photos?

1adam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
When you take a photo on your android device, how can you delete it from the device memory but keep it on Google Photos cloud memory?

For any photos uploaded via the Google Photos website this is not a problem because you can see them in the application's showreel. But for every photo you take on your device it eats into the device's finite memory, but when you delete it removes it altogether from photos.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
When you take a photo on your android device, how can you delete it from the device memory but keep it on Google Photos cloud memory?

For any photos uploaded via the Google Photos website this is not a problem because you can see them in the application's showreel. But for every photo you take on your device it eats into the device's finite memory, but when you delete it removes it altogether from photos.

When I want to delete a photo from the device but keep it in the cloud . First make sure to back up photos with the Assistant turned on.
Then , this is how I do it.

Open up google photos app
Click on settings in the app ( upper top left )
Scroll down to device folders
From the device folder delete the photos you want to delete from the device folder
a4e538702b5cd4bc72c62ead41321be7.jpg
a4823565e1efb54513181770acfb7ed4.jpg

Distinctly_You

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
When I investigated this thru the Google Photos it said that to delete from device would delete it from anywhere I had shared it to. In a blog post, on Facebook, on Twitter, etc. It would also delete any special features like collages, special effects... But my sd card is full...I'm terrified of what would happen if I delete or take my sd card out & put in a new one???

Last edited:

Alephs

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I wish they offered some kind of Do you want to delete these images from the device once uploaded to Google Photos? question or something like that.

Distinctly_You

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I took all the photos I have in the world in the last 3+ years on my phone. Many of which are saved in my "library". I have them saved in my Google photos on my desktop/laptop but I'm still afraid that if I clear my sd card it will wipe out the special collages & if I do it would delete the photo from my blog posts, etc. & so, here I sit. Frozen in fear of losing all my hard work. Tell me with confidence what I can & can not do! Thank you.

Alephs

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I think I've found my button: Free up device storage (Remove original photos & videos from your device that have already been backed up.).

Very handy.

:)

GefH

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I think I've found my button: Free up device storage (Remove original photos & videos from your device that have already been backed up.).

Very handy.

:)

This is a new function I think. When I press this button it only sees photos that are on my phone, not the hundreds on my SD card, so I'm still looking for a solution. Maybe I'll copy a few to my hard drive, delete them and see what happens.

Frustrating.

GefH

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
So I thought I'd found a solution here:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/photos/E1xP4mm4Bz4

But it gives a message saying it does not have access to my SD card, and sent me to the Gallery. So I deleted a couple of photos there, and I'm waiting to see whether they get removed from the Photos App and it's cloud backup.

(If you want to follow these instructions, you need to know that you must go to Device Folders not Collections to see the delete only from device menu item. Also, I couldn't find a Select All option, so lots of tapping required.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38