Pixel XL signal strength

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I would like to ask this question as well since t was mentioned about the wifi calling. Why is it that the IPhones whether it be 6s or 7 that I've had do very well on wifi calling and all of my Android devices really suck at it? We have to LG V10's here that rarely ever show that it is using wifi calling and I've had an HTC 10 that was slightly better and then my Note 7 was the best but by no means close to the iPhone. Is there something inherently different between OS's or chipsets or modems? I'm not sure hoping someone has some insight here.

w8tnonu22

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm on the Verizon network, so far I've been comparing signal strength with my note 7. On 4g sitting side by side they are the same, but when it drops to 3g due to being in a metal building. The note 7 is getting - 97 and the pixel is - 105

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the Verizon network, so far I've been comparing signal strength with my note 7. On 4g sitting side by side they are the same, but when it drops to 3g due to being in a metal building. The note 7 is getting - 97 and the pixel is - 105

That actually is significant... -97 to -105... every drop of -3 dBm is the equivalent of cutting the power in half... You have a drop of 8 dBm... So you cut it in half, cut it in half again, and almost cut it in half a 3rd time...

reference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBm

w8tnonu22

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
It's very frustrating. The phone is so smooth but the connectivity issues are probably going to be a deal breaker. I can't connect to my wifi at work either. It's a captive portal and it won't direct me to the login page

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So what's it suppose to be? Is -97 better or worse then -110? Also if someone knows, what it the number where it may drop a call?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the XL but my 5" Pixel on Fi is getting outstanding signal..

Better than Fi on my Nexus 5 and much better than I get on AT&T..

1477096674369.jpg

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
So what's it suppose to be? Is -97 better or worse then -110? Also if someone knows, what it the number where it may drop a call?

-60 is nearly perfect. Think of it as your device plugged into the nearest tower. ;) -110 to -113 is will be inconsistent & will result in dropped calls.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
-60 is nearly perfect. Think of it as your device plugged into the nearest tower. ;) -110 to -113 is will be inconsistent & will result in dropped calls.

Ty and what about the asu or other number next to db? Btw in my house it's -116 or so. Gonna try a bunch of phones and stuff tomorrow

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So yes -116 and - 119. Note 7 is -100. Tried looking at my wife's iPhone 7, but not sure where it would be.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that my antenna doesn't seem to be as strong as my note 7. Also the signal icon will not say 3g but the pull down does and I won't have signal. would the Verizon 4g sim affect this any?

Uh what I get waay better signal on mine than the note 7 for 7 plus at my office. It's always almost no signal for me there and with this phone I finally don't have to use wifi calling to make a call.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed that my antenna doesn't seem to be as strong as my note 7. Also the signal icon will not say 3g but the pull down does and I won't have signal. would the Verizon 4g sim affect this any?

Maybe try a quick restart. Seems like a glitch in the OS.

With regards to your 3G , 4G connectivity. Sometimes a device does not support the necessary bands your ISP (Version) has. So its not possible to get that connectivity. But i think the Pixel has all of them.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

-97 is better than -110 (note that these numbers are negative. a larger number, in this case -97, is better). Your mileage may vary, but between -95 and -100 is about where calls tend to start dropping for me; over -105, I can almost guarantee my call will drop. I'm lucky to be able to make a call at -102 dBm or worse.

I have had to pay attention to this in the past. I live in a fairly remote area, and I've had to return phones for weak antennas. But they didn't have the great apps 15 years ago to measure this when it was initially a problem for me. I literally had to take 2 phones and drive to the normal places I go and see where I could make a call, and where I couldn't.

There are actually 2 factors at play here - the actual signal strength available based on the nearest tower and your proximity to it, and your phones ability to "grab it" for lack of a better term. That's why people in the city (who are typically closer to multiple towers) don't tend to have the problems us country folks do... :)

Anyway, that's just been my experience. I'd be interested in what more people have to say?

veedo

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Just did a little testing while at camp. Swapping sim between a moto z force and a pixel 5",

Pixel
1xrtt
Rssi: -116dbm

Ehrpd
Rssi: -98dbm

Moto z force
1xrtt
Rssi: -99

Ehrpd
Rssi: -103

These numbers fluctuate a bit, but those are pretty good averages after watching for a while.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Just did a little testing while at camp. Swapping sim between a moto z force and a pixel 5",

Pixel
1xrtt
Rssi: -116dbm

Ehrpd
Rssi: -98dbm

Moto z force
1xrtt
Rssi: -99

Ehrpd
Rssi: -103

These numbers fluctuate a bit, but those are pretty good averages after watching for a while.

Ugh... that's not good, for me anyway... hope mine does better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87