Google Pixel: Swipe to answer calls?

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
So I've had my Pixel XL since Wednesday and have noticed that whenever I receive a phone call, it is not swipe to answer, it's the answer/reject buttons. Is this because I am using Smart Lock and I am at a trusted place/device so it disables the swipe screen? Is there a setting I am missing somewhere? No matter what I do, the call answer screen is never a swipe. This seems to be counter-intuitive since a stray touch could accidentally answer the phone.

EDIT: I've discovered a Reddit thread where people have said they have one, then the other, some had sqipe on a VZW phone, then returned it for one from Google, and the Google one had two-button, not swipe. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. Anyone have a clue?

And no it's not "in use" vs "not in use"...I've received calls with the phone locked, unlocked, in my pocket, on my desk....it's always the two button answer/reject instead of slide.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The new version of the Google Phone app uses the tap to answer/reject... the older Phone app used slide.

Not sure why the Verizon one is different, but the only thing I can assume is that the Verizon has an older version of the Phone app. But that is highly unlikely.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Verizon Pixel and when I get a call I just swipe the icon on the lock screen up to answer... Never have had a issue with it. It worked the same way on my 6P with the 7.1 update.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My phone was purchased though Google Store.

With the screen is unlocked you can tap either answer or decline ,which ever your choose.

With the screen locked you can swipe up to answer
Or swipe down to reject

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
With the screen is unlocked you can tap either answer or ignore ,which ever your choose.

With the screen locked you can swipe up to answer
Or swipe down to reject

I'm at work, so it makes sense it's swipe up. At home it is a trusted location, but I don't get many calls at home so I don't remember which way it was.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
The new version of the Google Phone app uses the tap to answer/reject... the older Phone app used slide.

Not sure why the Verizon one is different, but the only thing I can assume is that the Verizon has an older version of the Phone app. But that is highly unlikely.

32 GB Pixel - Verizon - phone app version 6.0.136097483 - others have different version?

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Same version, Google store. Every time I get a call, whether the phone is locked or in use, its tap to answer, tap to ignore. I've never had a swipe prompt.

Do you all think it's because of the trusted locations? I could try to delete one and see if that brings swipe up...

EDIT: Nope, has nothing to do with trusted locations. I just removed my office and confirmed Smart Lock wasn't in effect and it still only presented buttons. It seems odd to me that Swipe to Answer is nowhere for me, yet is present for others. I haven't found any answers.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Can someone with swipe report their phone app version? I suppose it's possible the new build removed Swipe?

I have version 6.0.136097483 and tap to answer/reject - Google Store 128gb Pixel XL

glcej1

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Can someone with swipe report their phone app version? I suppose it's possible the new build removed Swipe?

I have version 6.0.136097483 and tap to answer/reject - Google Store 128gb Pixel XL
I have the same version as you do and I got mine from Verizon. When I first got my pixel xl, I had the 2 buttons for accept or reject. Now I have the swipe up for accept and down for reject. Not sure at what point it changed.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Same version I have - swipe - do not have Smart Lock on - Gravity Screen installed - at some point had the " tap" options, but no longer

lakerzz

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm late to the party, but if you have any app that needs accessibility settings turned on, then it changes the incoming call ui for some reason. For me, it was Pie Control app from the Play Store that needed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89