Two calls I could not answer

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday a friend was at the hospital for a procedure. Twice I got a call that I could not answer. A small prompt opened at the top of the screen. If I recall the box said something like "reject SCREEN Answer (green icon). I hit the green icon. I got some other screen at that point. I did something in response but was back at that initial prompt screen "reject/screen/answer" BUT at the same time my Pixel Watch (saved by the watch) was vibrating the call and I was able to answer on the watch. It happened again and again the phone did not allow me to answer but the watch did. From what I can tell, it was a call from a switchboard type of number at the hospital. But it was a normal 206 number.

Normally, I get a call and can answer - just Swipe Up and answer. So what was this SCREENING type option about. Since I was already stressed out, the WATCH allowed me to answer without losing the call (which I think actually may have happened on an earlier third call). But using the watch I was not getting an opportunity to figure out what this was about.

Why were these calls handled differently by the phone?

Thanks,

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
For me, the Answer, Screen, Reject on my Pixel 6P is the default behavior. If I elect to answer from my phone it does connect on the phone. However every once in a while I answer on the phone but the audio and such is going through the Pixel watch. I suspect it's because it is acting like a Bluetooth headset. Doesn't happen often but has done so on occasion. From the phone I switch it from Bluetooth to speaker or phone while in the call.

Reactions: SeeBeeEss

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Swiping up to answer a call would only be if the phone was asleep when you got the call. If the phone is awake and you're actively using it when you get a call, that's when you see the banner notification at the top of the screen.

Can you give any more details about what you saw when you hit the Answer button?

Reactions: FF22

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Swiping up to answer a call would only be if the phone was asleep when you got the call. If the phone is awake and you're actively using it when you get a call, that's when you see the banner notification at the top of the screen.

Can you give any more details about what you saw when you hit the Answer button?
I will see if I can replicate the situation. But I WAS using the phone at the time the calls came in. So that explains the banner at the top.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One more frame of reference. I just had my friend call from her cell phone. I got the upper banner. I hit the GREEN Answer icon and was on the phone. She then called my Google voice number which rings to the phone. Still was able to answer. Now the third call was more interesting. My land line is still a dark ages setup - I have an UNlisted number. When I tried that while the phone was active (Wordle) and while "sleeping", no banner at all but my Pixel watch got the call.

So, it must have had something to do with the Hospital's system that wanted me to screen the call. So I still don't know what screen popped up when I tried answering the call. I was hoping for a screen capture.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is your landline number associated with your Google Voice number, and that's how you're receiving the call on your cellphone?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is your landline number associated with your Google Voice number, and that's how you're receiving the call on your cellphone?
Actually, when she called my Google voice number, both cell and land line rang. So, I guess I've got both numbers associated with G Voice. But again, no problem answering using the BANNER.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What if you add the hospital switchboard operator's number in your contacts, so it doesn't trigger a Call Screen prompt?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What if you add the hospital switchboard operator's number in your contacts, so it doesn't trigger a Call Screen prompt?
Well, hopefully and fortunately, there should be no reason to hear from them again. It was a one day "outpatient" procedure although she did not get OUT till about 10:45PM, way past my bedtime!!! Cardio Ablation.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, hopefully and fortunately, there should be no reason to hear from them again. It was a one day "outpatient" procedure although she did not get OUT till about 10:45PM, way past my bedtime!!! Cardio Ablation.
Yeah, hopefully her procedure did the trick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174