Returning Best Buy XL and buying from Google

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I think I am going to return my Best Buy Pixel XL and buy from Google Store.

*Don't have to worry about updates rolling out
*Don't have Verizon model
*Go straight to Google with issues with phone
*Device protection
*Longer period to pay off if I need it 18 months to 24 months (I won't buy still nice to have)

They seem like good ideas to me. Am I being crazy? Phone will be here Thursday/Friday. Which I'm assuming Friday since Thursday is Thanksgiving.

Also I hope they just don't leave phone. I had it sent to my job since no one would be home and didn't want it sitting on my door step.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
You'll get updates at same time despite VZW or Google model. I have the VZW model and have got updates same day as everyone else.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
You'll get updates at same time despite VZW or Google model. I have the VZW model and have got updates same day as everyone else.
I've gotten zero and there is threads with others stating the same. I'm still on the NDE36N October 5th update.

I thought the updates at the same time was the same as well.

You think my other reasons are valid?

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I have mine purchased through Verizon and have gotten the updates for November. With Verizon it comes installed with only 3 apps all of which can be disabled. It's really the same

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
VZW here and updated the same day as Google's phones. Have you went into the settings and checked for the update?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I've gotten zero and there is threads with others stating the same. I'm still on the NDE36N October 5th update. Also, you could insurance from VZW.

I thought the updates at the same time was the same as well.

You think my other reasons are valid?
It will not pop up that you have an update. You have to go into settings to see that there is an update. I am on NDE63X November 5th update.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Here I will debunk this for you:

1) Same update times as Google
2) Unless someone gets your phone and looks in settings, no one will know if it is VZW model or directly from Google.
3) VZW has good customer service. If you have a problem they'll fix it.
4) Get insurance from VZW
5) VZW allows you to pay monthly vs one lump sum. This is done over a 24 month period.

If the only reason you want the model from Google is because of your 2nd listed reason than go for it. Other than that your other reasons are not justifiable for me.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Here I will debunk this for you:

1) Same update times as Google
2) Unless someone gets your phone and looks in settings, no one will know if it is VZW model or directly from Google.
3) VZW has good customer service. If you have a problem they'll fix it.
4) Get insurance from VZW
5) VZW allows you to pay monthly vs one lump sum. This is done over a 24 month period.

If the only reason you want the model from Google is because of your 2nd listed reason than go for it. Other than that your other reasons are not justifiable for me.
I'll have to get protection from Best buy or square trade as I have Best buy verizon model but not on verizon. Thanks.

Yeah I do check for updates. Keeps saying up to date. Doh!

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I'll have to get protection from Best buy or square trade as I have Best buy verizon model but not on verizon. Thanks.

Yeah I do check for updates. Keeps saying up to date. Doh!
Get Best Buy's insurance plan then. Ultimately it is whatever floats your boat.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Hopefully I get an update soon.
Yup! The ONLY regret I have is that I have the 32GB model and I'm outside my exchange period. I'd rather have the 128GB BUT I still have 20GB of storage available with everything I will ever need on it.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I think I am going to return my Best Buy Pixel XL and buy from Google Store.

*Don't have to worry about updates rolling out
*Don't have Verizon model
*Go straight to Google with issues with phone
*Device protection
*Longer period to pay off if I need it 18 months to 24 months (I won't buy still nice to have)

They seem like good ideas to me. Am I being crazy? Phone will be here Thursday/Friday. Which I'm assuming Friday since Thursday is Thanksgiving.

Also I hope they just don't leave phone. I had it sent to my job since no one would be home and didn't want it sitting on my door step.

But.. if u lose the phone Google insurance will not cover it but Verizon's will. If u have a device issue u can go to verizon store and get a replacement. I'm torn myself. I've got my 32gb and 128 GB from Google store is coming in Monday. Either I have to take a hit reselling the 32 or keep it. Hmm.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Yup! The ONLY regret I have is that I have the 32GB model and I'm outside my exchange period. I'd rather have the 128GB BUT I still have 20GB of storage available with everything I will ever need on it.

I would think in a lot of instances 32 should be enough. With free storage of all photos and vids what can one possibly keep on their phones requiring that much. I store my music and movies on a zip and just plug in when I need to

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
But.. if u lose the phone Google insurance will not cover it but Verizon's will. If u have a device issue u can go to verizon store and get a replacement. I'm torn myself. I've got my 32gb and 128 GB from Google store is coming in Monday. Either I have to take a hit reselling the 32 or keep it. Hmm.
Well I am on verizon so that doesn't work for me. But I think Best Buy warranty covers theft and or lost items. Probably go square trade warranty if I get one.

bigpapa7272

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Actually best place is to get insurance is Worth Ave group they are $8 bucks a month and only $50 deductible per clain

Last edited:

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 XL's from Best buy. . The wife's updated the same day the update was released.

Mine did not, after a few days of not getting it, I went to xda and there was a thread there that said you needed the latest version of play store services.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and waa laa, it said I had an update.

I assume I am good to go for next month's update.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 XL's from Best buy. . The wife's updated the same day the update was released.

Mine did not, after a few days of not getting it, I went to xda and there was a thread there that said you needed the latest version of play store services.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and waa laa, it said I had an update.

I assume I am good to go for next month's update.
I don't even see the option to do that with play services. How do I go about doing that?

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Go into settings-apps-toggle system apps-find play services.

Hit the 3 dots in the upper right, uninstall updates.

After a few minutes it should update itself, then within a few more minutes you should see the update

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez