VzW Icon on lock screen

J5ive05

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else notice a "VzW" icon on the top left of the lock screen? I have a google pixel XL bought through verizon running on 7.1.1

Today was the first day I noticed this icon. Any idea on if this can be removed?

J5ive05

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
maybe icon is the wrong description. I guess a better description would be there is now text in the top left corner of the lock screen that displays "VzW"

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Top left corner of my lock screen says Verizon Wireless, because it is my carrier and the cellular network to which I am connected. My phone was purchased through the Google store. It should simply display your cell network there. Perhaps since you bought your phone from Verizon, they've personalized it with VzW instead of the full words.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I've never understood the carrier logos/branding on the screen. I know who my carrier is, and only I use my phone, so they're not advertizing to anyone. Even if someone was looking over my shoulder, it's only on the lock screen, so who's going to see it?

I think maybe they just get into this habit of branding everything, and no one stops to think whether it's even worth doing.

Oh well. Mine says "Verizon Wireless" in small text at the top. It could be worse. A lot worse. My S5 used to have a huge Verizon splash screen on boot. Also pointless.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't think they are "advertising" on that portion of the lockscreen - it's simply identifying the network you're on. If you put in a Fi SIM card, it would probably say Fi or Project Fi at the top left.

As for the huge splash you say was on your Samsung on boot, that's carrier branded handsets for you. Unlocked and non-branded phones won't have that.

I haven't rebooted my phone in a while, but it currently says "Verizon Wireless" spelled out. Wonder if it's Verizon's way of somehow differentiating Pixels bought through them vs other retailers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think they are "advertising" on that portion of the lockscreen - it's simply identifying the network you're on. If you put in a Fi SIM card, it would probably say Fi or Project Fi at the top left.

As for the huge splash you say was on your Samsung on boot, that's carrier branded handsets for you. Unlocked and non-branded phones won't have that.

This. It is just to identify the network -- not really advertising. Android simply places the carrier you are on at the top left.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Verizon-bought 32gb model here, it still says VERIZON WIRELESS on my lockscreen, not VzW.
That said, this is an Android feature, not advertising or spam. Whatever network you're on will display there.... watch as you reboot your phone, it'll tell you "No Sim", followed by "No Service" as everything slowly get connected and online.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I've never understood the carrier logos/branding on the screen. I know who my carrier is, and only I use my phone, so they're not advertizing to anyone. Even if someone was looking over my shoulder, it's only on the lock screen, so who's going to see it?

I think maybe they just get into this habit of branding everything, and no one stops to think whether it's even worth doing.

Oh well. Mine says "Verizon Wireless" in small text at the top. It could be worse. A lot worse. My S5 used to have a huge Verizon splash screen on boot. Also pointless.

If you happened to roam to another network it would identify it there as well.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am on Verizon and I have Verizon wireless on my lockscreen. I removed all Verizon bloatware except for my Verizon.
95870093fb09834907bc0fbc28e3e52f.jpg

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
If you happened to roam to another network it would identify it there as well.

Now having a roaming notification is definitely useful. I travel to Canada a lot, and it helps to know who's network you're on when you're close to the border. Helps avoid nasty billing surprises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa