Is Google slowing the pixel down on other networks so it will be faster on Verizon?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're kidding
From the article.........

"The reason for the lack of 3xCA on T-Mobile appears to be software related. 3xCA works just fine on Verizon, and Google advertises 3xCA as a feature for the Pixel XL. Cellular Insights explains the problem:

“Despite the device being fully unlocked and (at least initially) marketed in North America as Cat 9 capable, Google exercises the right to enable and disable not only LTE bands and CA combos on “per operator” basis, but capabilities and features as well, such as LTE Category and Higher Order Modulation. We simply can not rationalize the reason behind this decision, but it is hard to imagine that this was an accident, knowing that T-Mobile is one of the very first U.S. operators to rollout 3xCA, as well as one of the first operators globally to activate DL-256QAM, UL-64QAM, EVS, etc. We are hoping that one of the upcoming Google OTA updates will take care of T-Mobile specific carrier profile, allowing the Pixel XL to take the full advantage of the network.”

With your tinfoil hat on, there’s one obvious explanation for this behaviour: Verizon is the exclusive carrier retail partner for the Pixel and Pixel XL in the States. If you want a Pixel on T-Mobile, you’ll have to buy it outright unlocked from Google and get your own T-Mobile SIM. Hypothetically, there might be some agreement between Verizon and Google to only enable certain network features on Verizon, giving the network a sly upper hand."

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
From the article.........

"The reason for the lack of 3xCA on T-Mobile appears to be software related. 3xCA works just fine on Verizon, and Google advertises 3xCA as a feature for the Pixel XL. Cellular Insights explains the problem:

“Despite the device being fully unlocked and (at least initially) marketed in North America as Cat 9 capable, Google exercises the right to enable and disable not only LTE bands and CA combos on “per operator” basis, but capabilities and features as well, such as LTE Category and Higher Order Modulation. We simply can not rationalize the reason behind this decision, but it is hard to imagine that this was an accident, knowing that T-Mobile is one of the very first U.S. operators to rollout 3xCA, as well as one of the first operators globally to activate DL-256QAM, UL-64QAM, EVS, etc. We are hoping that one of the upcoming Google OTA updates will take care of T-Mobile specific carrier profile, allowing the Pixel XL to take the full advantage of the network.”

With your tinfoil hat on, there’s one obvious explanation for this behaviour: Verizon is the exclusive carrier retail partner for the Pixel and Pixel XL in the States. If you want a Pixel on T-Mobile, you’ll have to buy it outright unlocked from Google and get your own T-Mobile SIM. Hypothetically, there might be some agreement between Verizon and Google to only enable certain network features on Verizon, giving the network a sly upper hand."

And I suppose if BGR ran an article saying Verizon has a shrink ray and is shrinking their employees and putting them into the Pixels on different networks to make them function improperly you'd believe that too?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
And I suppose if BGR ran an article saying Verizon has a shrink ray and is shrinking their employees and putting them into the Pixels on different networks to make them function improperly you'd believe that too?
Or maybe instead of being snarky about it you could read more info and do some research? This is being reported in several different sources.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I ran some tests on my non pixel phones, and found for TMo that if i change my APN to use IPv4 i get faster speedtest results. Unfortunately i cant prove my real world results when using the phone daily but i do feel that using the APN with IPv4 is better then using the stock with IPv6.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

BGR is basically the National Enquirer of tech news. They have as close to 0% journalistic integrity as you can get without being a comic book.

This seems to apply here too.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Or maybe instead of being snarky about it you could read more info and do some research? This is being reported in several different sources.

I guess *some people* don't know the difference between CA capable and CA enabled. It's a carrier issue not a Google issue. Maybe Jerry will enlighten the Fake News crowd............:D

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess *some people* don't know the difference between CA capable and CA enabled. It's a carrier issue not a Google issue. Maybe Jerry will enlighten the Fake News crowd............:D
Yeah it's not like T Mobil wants the Pixel running slower on their network. They're giving people bill credits for using it on T Mobil.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I did have to change my apn settings.

The out of the box settings on T-mo were slow. But just jump to Tmo.Com and they have the correct apn settings there.

Change it and the phone smokes (not in a samsung way).

Oh, and T-mo gave me the 395 credit as a bonus