Speck Grip case causing poor reception in Phoenix?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I just can't figure it out. I have Verizon in Phoenix, and I get so many instances where all of a sudden the other person can't hear me anymore, even though I can hear them. If this was any other carrier than Verizon I would think that maybe it's the carrier's problem. Has anybody experienced a problem with the speck case causing reception problems?

This is all around Phoenix, not just one area

And why would it be only that they can't hear me, but I can hear them?

Will this phone work with AT&T if I want to give that a try?

Bottom line question, could it be the Speck case?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The case might have some impact but I would expect it to me minimal. Have you tried using the phone for a day without the case?

Your phone has three microphones - the primary one used for calls is located along the bottom edge. If you look at the back of the phone, just right of the camera, there are three "dots" - the first two are the laser rangefinder and the third is another microphone. This is used as part of the (background) noise-cancellation system; if you block this microphone when holding the phone or resting it against your shoulder you may inadvertently cause issues.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The above doesn't seem to be an issue, because if I call the other person right back, from the same spot, they can usually hear me again. I hate to say this, but I really might have to see if I have a month difference with AT&T

Tritonemusic

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the same case and have never had a problem like that occur (Chicagoland area on Verizon). Same with my brother. Don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd mention it. As a matter of fact, my brother dropped his phone twice onto concrete and that case saved it both times, for what it's worth.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have the same case and have never had a problem like that occur (Chicagoland area on Verizon). Same with my brother. Don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd mention it. As a matter of fact, my brother dropped his phone twice onto concrete and that case saved it both times, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I didn't really think it was the case, it's just I never had this many issues at so many spots in the Valley. - (that's what we Arizonans call phoenix)

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just be aware that if you group text a lot and participants of those group MMS conversations are using Samsung phones on T-Mobile with advanced messaging enabled you will likely have issues receiving their messages in group when you're on AT&T. Its annoying as hell, and something i've grown sick of since more of my family has switched to samsung phones on T-Mobile. Compatibility issue as I understand it between advanced messaging features of both carriers and brought on by the fact that AT&T refuses to fully enable said features on unlocked devices brought to their network. I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile or Verizon now because of it, just not sure which I'll move to just yet (I havent had good experience customer service wise with T-Mobile).

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
This a a known issue. Once Verizon has completed their Advanced LTE rollout in your area, and you have 7.1.2 installed, you will be okay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty