Which carrier is best for heavy users?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I've used 43.8 GB so far, and have 6 days left in my billing cycle. Which carrier is best for me? I'm on MetroPCS, but am looking into Tracfone since I barely use talk and text.

How much data do you use per month?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I use around 50 to 80. Some months 100+. I am on Verizon with unlimited.
This actually was a heavy month for me because I signed up for Amazon Prime and redeemed my free 3 months for Google Play media. I could keep it down to 10 GB if I really tried hard. I don't know if I'd save much more than the $50/mo. I pay now though.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This actually was a heavy month for me because I signed up for Amazon Prime and redeemed by free 3 months for Google Play media. I could keep it down to 10 GB if I really tried hard. I don't know if I'd save much more than the $50/mo. I pay now though.
Yeah it wouldn't be much savings. I stream a lot of video so that's where my usage comes from.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it wouldn't be much savings. I stream a lot of video so that's where my usage comes from.
I considered give my grandfather my old Nexus 4 and getting him a Tracfone SIM. It seems cheap if you're a senior citizen with very light usage. And the coverage is good because they use AT&T towers instead or T-Mobile.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: If may I add my 0.50 ctvs here: It depends if you're in Usa then

in descendent order: Verizon unlimited data: AT & T: T-Mobile

would be the choice and in Canada: Telus-Rogers-Bell

offer the best data deals. Now in my case I've 2GB

at times Go overage, but 43.8 GB is high usage

Anyway let's heard from more users..SeeYa!

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I've used 43.8 GB so far, and have 6 days left in my billing cycle. Which carrier is best for me? I'm on MetroPCS, but am looking into Tracfone since I barely use talk and text.

Holy cow!!! 43.8 gigs in roughly 3 weeks....? I would say WiFi is your answer.

You'll have to excuse me for my shock. I had no idea people used that much data in such a short period. Guess I'm a little data blind.

We have a family plan with Verizon that shares 10gb with 4 phones and we have never gone over. We always have carryover data. I'm having a heavy data month if I hit 2 gigs. I will say we are in range of wifi most of the time though. I don't do much in the way of videos, movies, or gaming obviously.

To each his/her own. I hope you find a satisfactory package for your usage. I know Verizon offers an unlimited plan but I don't know any details about it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Holy cow!!! 43.8 gigs in roughly 3 weeks....? I would say WiFi is your answer.

You'll have to excuse me for my shock. I had no idea people used that much data in such a short period. Guess I'm a little data blind.

We have a family plan with Verizon that shares 10gb with 4 phones and we have never gone over. We always have carryover data. I'm having a heavy data month if I hit 2 gigs. I will say we are in range of wifi most of the time though. I don't do much in the way of videos, movies, or gaming obviously.

To each his/her own. I hope you find a satisfactory package for your usage. I know Verizon offers an unlimited plan but I don't know any details about it.
Wifi is an answer if available.. my work wifi sucks so I stream on LTE. That is how I used 50 to 80 GB each month.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It still depends on where you use your phone.

It doesn't matter if a carrier has faster speeds or bigger data allotments if the service isn't good.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Props to those with the fortitude to watch so much media on a small screen and are afforded the opportunity to do it. Spending hours watching a small screen is not my cup of tea for sure. Watching streaming media at work is a no no . . definitely a behavior that is shunned upon in our office.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Props to those with the fortitude to watch so much media on a small screen and are afforded the opportunity to do it. Spending hours watching a small screen is not my cup of tea for sure. Watching streaming media at work is a no no . . definitely a behavior that is shunned upon in our office.

Even on break/lunch?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My work allows it while doing work so... I do it. Now at home do you think I grab my phone? No. Chromecast :p.

I have been with all the major carriers except big blue and am currently with Verizon but let me see as far as the fastest network and lowest cost I would say metro pcs plus they have no contract so for heavy data usage it is very good now with that being said they have T-Mobile network so check to see if T-Mobile has good coverage I switched from them because I couldn't get reception in my apartment, sprint was okay I left them because they were a little expensive for me when I didn't have the funds to pay for a cellphone.

Sprint also gave me the runaround when I switched to metro I payed off the ETF and my current phone I was told I could unlock it and take it to metro first thing was to get the account number which was easy and the pin was easy, when it came to unlocking the phone to use on another network then they were very difficult finally after over 10-20 calls of being passed around I got a good technician all he did was press a button and that unlocked my phone but before that they passed me off to India they passed me off to other service reps and gave me ticket numbers to check on the status of my unlock which were not fulfilled nice customer service until you quit them

I am with big red now and I can't complain too much except the price is ridiculous they are charging $85 a month just for my plan it's a good thing I signed a 2 year contract so at least I get a free phone but the coverage is very good and I have reception in my apartment

P.S.the only thing to watch out for with metro is they have unlimited high speed data and 8gb of hotspot before throttle for $60 or they have a new promotion. Where it's $50 for unlimited mobile data I noticed Verizon sucks balls at speed I am only getting like 10-20MBPS Metro speeds are way faster like 50mb-200mb. Plus they add all the taxes and fees to the plan which is nice.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Even on break/lunch?

Break/lunch is fine . . those that do more than that in our office are discouraged from doing so. YMMV, for us here we're an engineering office so concentration on our work is priority. If I were in another situation where I could have streaming in the background while still being productive I most certainly would do it.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would say T-Mobile if you get good service in your area since they have increased their deprioritize limit to 32 GB, others deprioritize way earlier. Also, you have advantage to use most phones on T-Mobile unlike Verizon where not all phones are compatible unless sold by Verizon.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Seems Metro is working for you, which is just T-Mobile towers. I used 40gb in a month but that is because I was on vacation and was uploading my photos/videos to Google photos as I went along. Use what works for you in your location which to me it seems your current works fine.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
While all others slow you down at around 22gb (some a bit higher), for the entire account. Verizon's unlimited has a small chance of slowing you down at times after 22gbs on each line. But my daughter uses 80gb - 100gb and has never been slowed down (has no internet at home). They only prioritize others over you if your line is on a very busy tower and you're over your 22gb on that line. But only when necessary.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
While all others slow you down at around 22gb (some a bit higher), for the entire account. Verizon's unlimited has a small chance of slowing you down at times after 22gbs on each line. But my daughter uses 80gb - 100gb and has never been slowed down (has no internet at home). They only prioritize others over you if your line is on a very busy tower and you're over your 22gb on that line. But only when necessary.
All the other carriers do it per line as well. Not the whole account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mostafakhalaf