Leaving T-Mobile

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Hello all. Recently, after 8 years, I have left T-Mobile. Never had any issues with the service, but I have been paying 100-140 dollars a month now with them ever since having them and honestly, a bit tired of having my bill be that much. I recently switched to a T-Mobile MVNO called WOW Mobile which is partnered with a company called Reach Mobile. I get a pretty good discount since it's the same provider as my internet, so I am currently only paying 60 dollars a month. The only problem is that the highest they go is only 20gb of data per line. We normally use between 25-30gb.

I had also considered going to Metro, as you know, another T-Mobile MVNO. I can get two lines from them for 80 dollars with "unlimited," data capping out at 35gb per line, as well as the usual unlimited talk and text. Boost Mobile also has a promo going on for new customers for the first month being 12.50 per line. After that, it is 25 dollars per line and "unlimited," data capped after 30gb. That's also a pretty good deal. I used to have Boost years ago, and for what they were, they were decent. But they aren't on Sprint's towers anymore which is obviously an upgrade. I think they are also another T-Mobile MVNO, not entirely sure.

So, I'm not entirely sure which route to go. I have to say, I think value-wise, Metro is the most appealing to me. MVNO's seem to be much cheaper on average than the bigger companies like T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon.

That said, what kind of bills do you guys pay per month? I know in comparison to some other things I've heard, 100 dollars a month doesn't seem to be that much.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm paying 70 a month for 2 unlimited at TMO but I am also on their 55 plan

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Found another interesting detail... Evidently Boost uses AT&T's network and sometimes T-Mobile. 50 a month for two lines with 30gb each of priority data on AT&T is very tempting, especially for the upfront cost of only 12.50. I might have to cancel what I got and go for this when the time comes.

Reactions: Jharperr16

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you a Netflix watcher? If so, remember that Magenta plans come with the Standard plan for Netflix, which is a $15.49 value.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have both Att and TMobile
8 lines with TMobile I have 4 lines as promo back in the day when they were doing that so all 8 with tax 190.00 unlimited data,text, calls and 10gb hot spot each line free
Att just one sim 50 a month unlimited everything and 15gb hot spot free.

Try prepaid for Att or TMobile might be cheaper and no surprise cost .

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
T-Mobile's unlimited prepaid plan is just as much as postpaid. The next lowest one they have is 10gb which isnt enough for me.

AT&T prepaid is just as expensive.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
So.. You were right. T-Mobile prepaid is cheaper. I can get 2 lines for 80 unlimited (50gb of data) for each line. Plus taxes and fees of course. But this would still be cheaper than what I'm paying now. I was a bit confused as when I first went on their website, it was showing 1 line unlimited for 100 dollars. Had to change to 2 lines. I would assume at the end of the day, I would probably end up paying around 90 after taxes and fees and all that. Still 20-30 dollars less than what I have been paying... Or I can pay 80 with Metro and get only 35gb of data in comparison and possible slowdowns/network deprioritization. I am inclined to think T-Mobile would be better obviously. Think I will look into ordering sim cards this week. It's not gonna be fun trying to port my number back to T-Mobile after I already ported it from T-Mobile to WOW mobile...

From what I heard, none of it is deprioritized either like Metro or other MVNO's. Evidently it can be though after 50gb of usage, but at least on postpaid, I never once had that issue and I went over that many times. I don't buy phones through my carrier, so I don't really care about that.

Speaking of carrier's... So I just found out recently that my new service through WOW mobile, if I run out of data... You can purchase more. However, it's a RIDICULOUS amount for more. It costs 5 dollars for a half a gig, and then 10 dollars for 1gb. So if I buy 5gb, it's 50 dollars. Wtf? That's absolutely ridiculous and I won't be doing that lol Only good thing is that my service has had no issues so far. Basically the same as when I was on T-Mobile.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So.. You were right. T-Mobile prepaid is cheaper. I can get 2 lines for 80 unlimited (50gb of data) for each line. Plus taxes and fees of course. But this would still be cheaper than what I'm paying now. I was a bit confused as when I first went on their website, it was showing 1 line unlimited for 100 dollars. Had to change to 2 lines. I would assume at the end of the day, I would probably end up paying around 90 after taxes and fees and all that. Still 20-30 dollars less than what I have been paying... Or I can pay 80 with Metro and get only 35gb of data in comparison and possible slowdowns/network deprioritization. I am inclined to think T-Mobile would be better obviously. Think I will look into ordering sim cards this week. It's not gonna be fun trying to port my number back to T-Mobile after I already ported it from T-Mobile to WOW mobile...

From what I heard, none of it is deprioritized either like Metro or other MVNO's. Evidently it can be though after 50gb of usage, but at least on postpaid, I never once had that issue and I went over that many times. I don't buy phones through my carrier, so I don't really care about that.

Speaking of carrier's... So I just found out recently that my new service through WOW mobile, if I run out of data... You can purchase more. However, it's a RIDICULOUS amount for more. It costs 5 dollars for a half a gig, and then 10 dollars for 1gb. So if I buy 5gb, it's 50 dollars. Wtf? That's absolutely ridiculous and I won't be doing that lol Only good thing is that my service has had no issues so far. Basically the same as when I was on T-Mobile.
Yeah prepaid I think the way to go

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Evidently, someone on Reddit also told me of some tricks to save additional funds... If you get a Target Redcard debit card, and purchase the funds for payments that way, evidently you don't get charged taxes or fees supposedly. And sometimes you also get 5% off purchases. Sometimes my bill might be under 80 dollars. That's pretty nifty. Gonna have to look into that.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have great prices and service with T-Mobile but their trying to get us to upgrade to magenta max is a chrime. I am almost ready to go to a MVNO like mint mobile same service but only $15 per device super cheap service.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I will never go for Magenta Max as I don't need it. The problem with Mint mobile is unless you opt for the more expensive up front plans, except for the first time of service for the new customer special, you're not really saving much. The price increases after the first three months. When I compared it next to T-Mobile what I was paying, I wasn't really saving anything or not enough to make a switch to them.

In my particular case, for two lines, it would have cost like 600 or more for the six or twelve month plans which is what really would have saved money. But I don't have 600 dollars laying around lol

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Back on T-Mobile! Now prepaid. 2 lines for 80, so after taxes and fees, should be around 90. Cheaper than I was paying with postpaid, and 50gb of data for each line. No depriorization either as far as I know.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Yes. Definitely. Weird.. I wonder if they charge more for taxes and fees under postpaid? At one point, I was able to get my bill down to 90, but I swear, the bill after fees and taxes it still would come out to like 110.

I don't normally use 50gb, but its nice to have it if I need it.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
It appears to me that postpaid plans are now geared to families (4 or more) that also want additional perks, like Netflix on us, etc. Smaller groups, or individuals that just want phone, text, and data, are better served by prepaid plans or MVNO's.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I just recently signed up for the 90 days. Try T-Mobile promotion for free. I've been on Verizon for a little bit and I've tried T-Mobile before a while back so I wanted to test to see if there were any differences in the service... I've noticed my Verizon service near the house is not as good as it used to be. That's the reason for me trying out T-Mobile... I can get the 55+ plan for $70 two lines but if I port one line it's $50 all in..we shall see in 85 days ..haha

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Yeah since it's just me and my wife, we only need two lines. I have also honestly for the most part never had an issue with T-Mobile's service. I don't get the best coverage at work, but I work in a hospital on the basement level floor... So I can't really fault them too much. And I don't get the best signal in my house for some reason lol But in both of these places, WIFI is there luckily, so it doesn't bother me.

Last edited: