Extra USB cables? Car charger?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So the box includes a single USB-C to USB-A cable to connect to PC's, chargers, etc., along with a single USB-C to USB-C cable to connect to the included wall adapter. I'm betting most users will have need of more...

Having heard horror stories of some of the USB-C cables out there causing major issues for being non-compliant to the spec, but not wanting to spend the $25/cable Google is asking, can anyone recommend safe and effective alternative cables that will perform the same as the OEM versions for less money? And do the Pixels have any specific requirements for charging that might make it inadvisable to use a strong AC unit we have now (with the proper cable, of course), with the understanding that it might be a bit slower?

Also, any recommendations for a car charger, or should any good 'performance' charger work fine with the right cable? Currently I'm using a Incipio QC2.0 car charger that's worked fine for my Nexus 6, tablets, etc.

Thanks in advance!

jkarg00

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have only had good luck with anker and aukey brands, the latter is the cheaper of the 2. They both have pretty good ratings on amazon.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Google store has a Belkin car charger that supports USB PD so it'll charge the Pixel at its 18W for the fastest possible charging. Benson Leung also highly recommends it.

It's a bit pricey at $45 but Verizon also sells it for $39.99.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I went though all this last week :)

• For the wall chargers .. They best types are all expensive. The best, safe one I could find is here: dodocool USB C Charger, 30W USB Type-C Wall Charger . It has the correct PD protocal, will fast charge the pixel at the newer highest rate, safely. Benson approved and good reviews. $18 each, I ordered a few

Lastly , there is a nice
Google Pixel Phone - Suggested Peripherals [Nathan + Benson] spreadsheet right from the folks that know about what to buy :) three's 2 tabs at the top - one for cables, 1 for chargers. The dodcool one is there.

Good luck!

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I went though all this last week :)

• So, for the car charger, I went with this one : Nekteck 5.4A USB-C Car Charger Adapter Reviewers seem to love it, it fast charges their Nexus 6P which uses the same PD rapid charging. Only $16

• For the wall chargers .. They best types are all expensive. The best, safe one I could find is here: dodocool USB C Charger, 30W USB Type-C Wall Charger . It has the correct PD protocal, will fast charge the pixel at the newer highest rate, safely. Benson approved and good reviews. $18 each, I ordered a few

Lastly , there is a nice
Google Pixel Phone - Suggested Peripherals [Nathan + Benson] spreadsheet right from the folks that know about what to buy :) three's 2 tabs at the top - one for cables, 1 for chargers. The dodcool one is there.

Good luck!
The nexus 6p/5x uses rapid charging 3a x 5V for 15W however it doesn't support USB PD.

The pixel does use USB PD so it can charge at 2A by 9V for 18W.

This is all per Benson Leung.

https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/SFb6C8bZvPZ

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The nexus 6p/5x uses rapid charging 3a x 5V for 15W however it doesn't support USB PD.

The pixel does use USB PD so it can charge at 2A by 9V for 18W.

This is all per Benson Leung.

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it. I updated my post to remove that reference from the car charger. It will still fast charge the Pixel, just not quite as fast as a 18W PD charger would.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Listen to Benson. Buy with confidence.

I got a 3.3 ft and a 6.6 ft USB-A to USB-C, because that is how I roll. One for the car (OEM), one for bedside (3.3), one for office (6.6), and one for an extra (OEM C to C)

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Google store has a Belkin car charger that supports USB PD so it'll charge the Pixel at its 18W for the fastest possible charging. Benson Leung also highly recommends it.

Removed

Last edited:

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought this one from Verizon yesterday (online). Belkin F7U004bt04-BLK. It seems like is is the only car charger to support USB-C PD. Since I was going to buy a new car charger, I figured I would spend a little more and get the one that supports the maximum power (and uses higher voltage / less current to do so). I have checked all of my chargers (car and home) with a USB meter ( I use this one https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Capacitance-Charging/dp/B00J3JSEG6 ) to make sure everything looks good. That meter has a USB-A connector so it can't check the USB-C to USB-C cables. All of the chargers I checked so far (with various USB-A to USB-C cables) charge at either 5V@1.5A or 5V@2.0A. Still pretty speedy. IT seems like the Belkin USB-C PD car charger is hard to find (lots of places show it but don't have stock). I noticed Target sells it, but wanted $5 more than list price from Belkin!?
For cables, I bought this five pack when AC put up the Amazon deal. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C2OAFRE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They are only a dollar more now.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys....if I'm just looking to charge in the car with regular USB not USB C can I just use the USB cord from the pixel box and a regular USB car charger from Verizon? Appreciate any advice!

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Should be fine. I have been testing all my USB chargers All the voltages and currents have been good (only one car charger in my testing below)

Battery is <=60%, Using stock USB-A to USB-C Google cable
Aukey AC charger PA-T1
AI port = 5.06V @ 1.93A = 9.7W
Quick charge 2.0 port = 5.14V @ 1.93A = 9.9W
Ravepower portable charger RP-PB042
Smart port = 4.93V @1.42A = 7.0W
Quick charge 2.0 port = 5.01V @ 1.42A=7.1W
HP Touchpad stock charger 5.47V @ 1.93A = 10.6W
Tronsmart car charger TS-CC2PC
Quickcharge 2.0 port 5.15V @1.94A
Standard port 4.99V @1.94A

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Should be fine. I have been testing all my USB chargers All the voltages and currents have been good (only one car charger in my testing below)

Battery is <=60%, Using stock USB-A to USB-C Google cable

What do you think about using stock Chargers, with stock USB to micro USB cable, but using a micro-to-C adapter

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
If you wanna fast charge at 18W you need to go C to C, as per the spec, the Pixels won't pull anywhere near that using an A to C cable. The Nekteck is the best bet if you want a dual port charger IMO, not the absolute fastest but a good deal considering it comes with a built in cable and you can choose to have it coiled or not.

With the Vinsic you'd need to add a cable and with the Tronsmart you don't get a choice as far as coiled or not (it also looks larger and the Type C cable sticks out rather than down).

Similarly, some of the Google OEM stuff is mildly overpriced BUT that stock charger with a SIX feet cable bundled actually seems like a good deal to me given the price of comparable and spec compliant chargers ($18+) and cables ($15+) in the maket.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
If you wanna fast charge at 18W you need to go C to C, as per the spec, the Pixels won't pull anywhere near that using an A to C cable..

So is this why when I connect the Google supplied "OTG" cable (C to A) with the supplied A to C adapter (effectively creating a C to C cable) plugged into the supplied power supply, I don't get "Charging Rapidly"? It's the C to A within that chain that drops from the PD spec??

Frankly, I was surprised that the result of connecting the Google cable with the Google adapter, was a standard charging rate.

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
So is this why when I connect the Google supplied "OTG" cable (C to A) with the supplied A to C adapter (effectively creating a C to C cable) plugged into the supplied power supply, I don't get "Charging Rapidly"? It's the C to A within that chain that drops from the PD spec??
Frankly, I was surprised that the result of connecting the Google cable with the Google adapter, was a standard charging rate.
Right because when you use an "A" connector there are only two power pins available (the supplied USB OTG A connector just has ground, data +, data -, and 5V). Those two power pins can only handle so much current. The USB C connectors have eight power pins (four ground and four power pins) and the ability to negotiate for higher voltages.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Right because when you use an "A" connector there are only two power pins available (the supplied USB OTG A connector just has ground, data +, data -, and 5V). Those two power pins can only handle so much current. The USB C connectors have eight power pins (four ground and four power pins) and the ability to negotiate for higher voltages.

Excellent. Thanks for that confirmation.

I am on a quest to find a C to C that provides PD rapid charging, that is affordable.

I've already found an excellent car charger that does PD perfectly...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5533861

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks got the Aukey quick charge car charger last week, after seeing this bought the Aukey PD 2.0 car charger today. Will be returning the quick charge 3 car charger once I receive the PD one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08