Extra USB cables? Car charger?

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Right because when you use an "A" connector there are only two power pins available (the supplied USB OTG A connector just has ground, data +, data -, and 5V). Those two power pins can only handle so much current. The USB C connectors have eight power pins (four ground and four power pins) and the ability to negotiate for higher voltages.

Great, now I have to find a USB-C meter...........:D

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys...

I did some good learning here from you guys.
But, what you've said doesn't seem to be playing out in practice - at least reportedly.
See this thread...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-pixel-xl/740823-accessories-we-say-work.html

I wanted to start a "benson-like" thread that lists the products we say work with Pixels - through our own experience.
Although the thread is new, it's already surfacing some examples of people reporting full rapid charging with non-PD cables and chargers.
How can that happen?
Any insights you guys have on this?

mtucker

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
.................... Although the thread is new, it's already surfacing some examples of people reporting full rapid charging with non-PD cables and chargers. How can that happen? Any insights you guys have on this?
I have been reading and trying to get in-the-know with USB-C, but still have a long way to go.
USB-C PD compliant and "rapid charging" showing on your phone may be two very different things. If the Pixel is showing "Rapid Charging" that means it should charge quickly, but doesn't necessarily mean we have the full maximum 18W (for the Pixel) being delivered (9V @ 2A) or PD compliance. Rapid charging may just indicate a power over a set point is being delivered. My understanding is anytime you use a USB-A to USB-C cable, you should not be able to get 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 2A (15W and 18W). That is why Benson checks the internal resistor values on USB-C cables. If they use the wrong resistor value in a USB-A to C cable, the phone may try to draw 3A from a charger that is only rated for 2A.

The AUKEY CC-Y7 car charger you linked to looks to be very new so Benson and others probably haven't had a chance to test it. Since it has a USB-C output and lists 9V as an output voltage option, it seems like it has chance of being USB-C PD compliant and putting 18W into our Pixels. Does it follow the USB-C PD spec? I am sure we will find out soon.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
So is this why when I connect the Google supplied "OTG" cable (C to A) with the supplied A to C adapter (effectively creating a C to C cable) plugged into the supplied power supply, I don't get "Charging Rapidly"? It's the C to A within that chain that drops from the PD spec??

Frankly, I was surprised that the result of connecting the Google cable with the Google adapter, was a standard charging rate.

Yes, any C to A cable (whether it terminates in a female plug or a male Type A plug) that follows the official USB-IF spec (the only one) will have certain resistors in place and the Pixel will never pull much more than 2A at 5V over them. This is done on purpose to maintain backwards compatibility without frying stuff (including chargers themselves).

If you want/need to charge as fast as absolutely possible (either 3A at 5V or 2A at 9V) you need to use chargers with type C ports (or built in Type C cables, tho that in and of itself isn't a guarantee). You don't need a USB 3.0/3.1 cable tho, unless it's for the speediest data transfers (the OEM 6ft Pixel cable is only 2.0 FWIW but it's very nice for charging), USB 2.0 type C cables which are less expensive are sufficient.

I bought a second OEM Google AC charger because at $35 it really isn't that pricey given the messy state of the market and the scarcity of in spec cables (specially longer ones). There's actually like 3-4 well reviewed car chargers proven to be in spec and ironically only 1-2 AC chargers, one is a single port that still runs close to $20 (dodoo whatever) and the other is a bulky 5-port by Anker...

Hence why a second OEM charger/cable made a lot of sense for me. I'd suggest USB-IF certified cables by Belkin/Anker/Kanex if you need one for a cable-less car charger, tho in many cases it might be cheaper to get the Nekteck car charger than a new cable. The Black Squid listed on various approved lists is only like $10 AND USB 3.0 (almost everything else at that price is 2.0), probably the best bet IMO.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading and trying to get in-the-know with USB-C, but still have a long way to go.
USB-C PD compliant and "rapid charging" showing on your phone may be two very different things. If the Pixel is showing "Rapid Charging" that means it should charge quickly, but doesn't necessarily mean we have the full maximum 18W (for the Pixel) being delivered (9V @ 2A) or PD compliance. Rapid charging may just indicate a power over a set point is being delivered. My understanding is anytime you use a USB-A to USB-C cable, you should not be able to get 5V @ 3A or 9V @ 2A (15W and 18W). That is why Benson checks the internal resistor values on USB-C cables. If they use the wrong resistor value in a USB-A to C cable, the phone may try to draw 3A from a charger that is only rated for 2A.

The AUKEY CC-Y7 car charger you linked to looks to be very new so Benson and others probably haven't had a chance to test it. Since it has a USB-C output and lists 9V as an output voltage option, it seems like it has chance of being USB-C PD compliant and putting 18W into our Pixels. Does it follow the USB-C PD spec? I am sure we will find out soon.

Thanks for this.
-bk

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, any C to A cable (whether it terminates in a female plug or a male Type A plug) that follows the official USB-IF spec (the only one) will have certain resistors in place and the Pixel will never pull much more than 2A at 5V over them. This is done on purpose to maintain backwards compatibility without frying stuff (including chargers themselves).

If you want/need to charge as fast as absolutely possible (either 3A at 5V or 2A at 9V) you need to use chargers with type C ports (or built in Type C cables, tho that in and of itself isn't a guarantee). You don't need a USB 3.0/3.1 cable tho, unless it's for the speediest data transfers (the OEM 6ft Pixel cable is only 2.0 FWIW but it's very nice for charging), USB 2.0 type C cables which are less expensive are sufficient.

I bought a second OEM Google AC charger because at $35 it really isn't that pricey given the messy state of the market and the scarcity of in spec cables (specially longer ones). There's actually like 3-4 well reviewed car chargers proven to be in spec and ironically only 1-2 AC chargers, one is a single port that still runs close to $20 (dodoo whatever) and the other is a bulky 5-port by Anker...

Hence why a second OEM charger/cable made a lot of sense for me. I'd suggest USB-IF certified cables by Belkin/Anker/Kanex if you need one for a cable-less car charger, tho in many cases it might be cheaper to get the Nekteck car charger than a new cable. The Black Squid listed on various approved lists is only like $10 AND USB 3.0 (almost everything else at that price is 2.0), probably the best bet IMO.

Great info.
I am learning!

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Right, I believe the Pixel starts displaying "charging rapidly" at something like 10W (2A/5V), which is simply fast but not the fastest possible rate (15-18W). It'll only display "charging" on older or improperly wired chargers that don't even follow the BC2.1 spec (nor PD obviously), or PC ports, where you're limited to 0.5-1A at 5V.

Basically, that message isn't an indicator of much of anything if you're a stickler for details, more of a guide that you're charging at an "okay" rate or not.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Right, I believe the Pixel starts displaying "charging rapidly" at something like 10W (2A/5V), which is simply fast but not the fastest possible rate (15-18W). It'll only display "charging" on older or improperly wired chargers that don't even follow the BC2.1 spec (nor PD obviously), or PC ports, where you're limited to 0.5-1A at 5V.

Basically, that message isn't an indicator of much of anything if you're a stickler for details, more of a guide that you're charging at an "okay" rate or not.

Got it. Thanks so much to you and others here that have clarified this landscape.

For me, I want to provide 100% PD-compliant power supplies (wall and car) and cables to experience exactly what state-of-the-art charging is about. I went all in on two Google chargers with cables, an Aukey car charger and BlackSquid cable, both are confirmed PD-compliant.

I think I am there.
Thanks again!

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Got it. Thanks so much to you and others here that have clarified this landscape.

For me, I want to provide 100% PD-compliant power supplies (wall and car) and cables to experience exactly what state-of-the-art charging is about. I went all in on two Google chargers with cables, an Aukey car charger and BlackSquid cable, both are confirmed PD-compliant.

I think I am there.
Thanks again!
Can someone point me to a 6 foot compliant cable? I'll be using it with the stock wall charging block

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Can someone point me to a 6 foot compliant cable? I'll be using it with the stock wall charging block

That's the really tough one. There are a fair number of compliant 6 ft. A to C cables, and a few compliant 3.3 ft. C to C cables, but for some reason compliant 6 ft. C to C is a unicorn. I just bought the dual port charger from the Google Store, in part because it comes with a separate 6' cable (in black no less!). I'm going to use it with the stock charging block in one location where I need the length, and use the dual port charger and two Benson-approved 3.3 foot cables (for both my XL and my C tablet) in another location. The only other 6 ft. C to C cable that looked like a possible choice was this one on Amazon, but there's no sure indication that it's compliant.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
That's the really tough one. There are a fair number of compliant 6 ft. A to C cables, and a few compliant 3.3 ft. C to C cables, but for some reason compliant 6 ft. C to C is a unicorn. I just bought the dual port charger from the Google Store, in part because it comes with a separate 6' cable (in black no less!). I'm going to use it with the stock charging block in one location where I need the length, and use the dual port charger and two Benson-approved 3.3 foot cables (for both my XL and my C tablet) in another location. The only other 6 ft. C to C cable that looked like a possible choice was [URL="https://www.amazon.com/Cable-WiRoTech-Orange-USB-C-Charging/dp/B01E1O1R02/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5567595]this one[/URL] on Amazon, but there's no sure indication that it's compliant.

It's hardly a unicorn, they're tougher to find but there's at least half a dozen well vetted 6ft Type C cables out there. This list linked below isn't linked enough, it focuses a bit more on 3.0/3.1/TB cables (which tend to be pricier) BUT it has several 6ft USB 2.0 recommendations (along with some faster ones and even an 8ft I'm almost tempted by).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

It's curated by Nathan K who has collaborated with Benson, unlike the other often linked sheet which is often attributed to Benson but not actually curated by him, and from what I've seen a little less well maintained... No discredit to the author tho, they just have a slightly different focus.

In any case, assuming you want to avoid paying $30+ for your 6ft cable and you only need it for USB PD fast charging, the two best options are actually the OEM ones. Apple's is currently $20 thru the end of the year (donglegate sale, no kidding), and is probably the best overall based on actual evaluations:

USB-C Charge Cable (2 m) - Apple

I'm about to purchase one myself... If you don't wanna give your money to Apple for whatever reason, or you prefer a more rubbery grey shade of white, Google's cable is $25 but it might not suffice for charging a big MBP (more than enough for phones and even the standard MB or smaller MBP tho):

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...usb_type_c_usb_type_c?hl=en-US&token=UVT2oZ1e

It's a slightly updated version of the black one you're getting with your Google dual charger but both are fine IIRC, I like the strain relief on Google's better than Apple's but that's somewhat subjective and would require long term use to bear out any true significance.

The only thing I'd say about Google's somewhat overpriced cables is that, as you alluded to, they made a lot more sense when bought with a charger. At $25 even Apple's is cheaper (thru Dec at least), but at $35 with a spare 18W charger is nearly a bargain given the messy messy state of aftermarket cables:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store.google.com/us/?hl=en-US&token=rFi2TeOG

Or at $40 with the dual charger as you said.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe