Pixel XL Case by Google on Gray/Grey

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Just got my official Pixel XL case in the mail today and I'm reasonably pleased.

Happy to report that it's height is not 19 mm, as is listed in the specs in the store. It's more like 11 or 12 mm. It fits well, but the edge near the buttons is very flexible. It isn't especially sticky or especially slippery. The fingerprint reader is still easily accessed, and I'm still able to swipe down on it to reveal the notification shade (although this isn't as easy as it is without the case).

See below for some photos. It would've been better to wait for daylight, but I think they still show the case off relatively well. It's a very dark grey. There's a G logo on the back, but the photos don't show it well. (It's hard to notice even in person unless you're looking for it.)

SAM_4727.jpg

SAM_4742.jpg

SAM_4746.jpg

SAM_4752.jpg

SAM_4757.jpg

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Awesome! Think this case would do acceptably in a drop test?

I'm going to have to leave that up to someone else to answer with any authority. It's slightly rubbery and has medium thickness. It'll definitely offer more protection than some of those thin, hard plastic cases you see, but I can't say much beyond that. I have very little experience with cases. (I upgraded from an un-cased Nexus 5 that I dropped this summer, cracking the screen. Glued it back together with a screen protector while I waited for the Pixel.)

stanleybb50

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to have to leave that up to someone else to answer with any authority. It's slightly rubbery and has medium thickness. It'll definitely offer more protection than some of those thin, hard plastic cases you see, but I can't say much beyond that. I have very little experience with cases. (I upgraded from an un-cased Nexus 5 that I dropped this summer, cracking the screen. Glued it back together with a screen protector while I waited for the Pixel.)
This actually helps a lot! :)

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Yep. No complaints and no signs of wear so far (as one would hope). I haven't had any trouble pressing buttons or using the fingerprint scanner. No substantial drops, so no update on its ability to protect the phone.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Looks like a nice case. I wish I could find it in a store to get a feel for it. I hate buying things online without getting a feel for it first.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep. No complaints and no signs of wear so far (as one would hope). I haven't had any trouble pressing buttons or using the fingerprint scanner. No substantial drops, so no update on its ability to protect the phone.

I received mine a couple of days ago. I mentioned this in the other thread -- on mine, the area on top of the volume buttons on the side does not have the stiff plastic inside covering it, just the silicon outershell and the lining. This area on the side is thus a little loose and "lippy." Do you have the same thing on yours?

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
the area on top of the volume buttons on the side does not have the stiff plastic inside covering it, just the silicon outershell and the lining. This area on the side is thus a little loose and "lippy." Do you have the same thing on yours?

Yep. That's what I meant by "the edge near the buttons is very flexible" in my original post.

Android police has a review up now at Cold case files: Google Pixel case reviews (Updated: 11/16/16). I agree with some of his points, but I think he was a bit harsh. The case could be more grippy, but it definitely provides a lot more grip than the phone itself. It's not "very slippery." The buttons aren't textured, but they're easily found by running a finger along the side, even while the phone is in my pocket. They're certainly not "practically ghosts." Also, I don't find the cutout for the camera to be "extremely large," especially after hearing that some cases are interfering with the autofocus by not having a large enough cutout. I think the review is full of exaggerations.

I'm still happy with my purchase.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yep. That's what I meant by "the edge near the buttons is very flexible" in my original post.

Android police has a review up now at Cold case files: Google Pixel case reviews (Updated: 11/16/16). I agree with some of his points, but I think he was a bit harsh. The case could be more grippy, but it definitely provides a lot more grip than the phone itself. It's not "very slippery." The buttons aren't textured, but they're easily found by running a finger along the side, even while the phone is in my pocket. They're certainly not "practically ghosts." Also, I don't find the cutout for the camera to be "extremely large," especially after hearing that some cases are interfering with the autofocus by not having a large enough cutout. I think the review is full of exaggerations.

I'm still happy with my purchase.

I liked it well enough at first, but now after I few days, I've gone back to the Spigen clear Ultra Hybrid that I bought when I returned the awful Google clear case. I agree with most everything the reviewer said except I don't find the moderately raised buttons to be that much of a problem. The camera opening is bigger than on other cases, though I'm not sure that will lead to any more of a dirtier, dustier camera lens than the relatively smaller openings.

While the case is nice enough, it's not a particularly good protective cover, and I'm afraid it's going to deteriorate, with the silicone stretching out (as the reviewer notes it might) and with the microfiber lining peeling away (my experience with BlackBerry cases with such linings from five or so years ago). I'm thinking about whether I should return it and go with a Spigen slim or rugged armor for a black case.

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
While the case is nice enough, it's not a particularly good protective cover, and I'm afraid it's going to deteriorate, with the silicone stretching out (as the reviewer notes it might) and with the microfiber lining peeling away

I'll report back if any of these things start to happen to mine. So far, no stretching and no peeling. Protection isn't close to absolute, but I think it's better than a thin, hard case would be. That's why shied away from the live case.

I think I'm most pleased about the understated design of the Google case. It's just a case. Nothing flashy. Far too many of the other options are hideous or gaudy, in my opinion.

One other note: the headphone jack cutout is big enough for most jacks, but not all. I've had no problem with my earbuds or headphones, but I have to remove the case to connect to my girlfriend's aux line on her stereo.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I have with this case is that it's a lint trap!
It collects dust and pocket lint like crazy.
Other then that it's great. Offers some protection without adding a bunch of bulk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress