How fast do you think this will sell out?

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
With the amount of buzz they are creating they should have a lot more in stock this year. But if the demand is there and the reviews are great, they might still sell out in a few days.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
With the amount of buzz they are creating they should have a lot more in stock this year. But if the demand is there and the reviews are great, they might still sell out in a few days.

How fast do you think AC will have a retail unit and post a review?

I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry already has spent time with a retail unit and has begun an extensive review.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
They might have a gag order in place though.

I would think so...or some NDA. Either way, I hope a review is released shortly after the reveal. With all the new hardware being announced on the 4th, I expect this place to be Google Central leading into the holidays.

Of course we don't want to see a biased review, but an exclusive review would drive result in an insane amount of traffic. For the last 2 months, its been all about Samsung around here.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
This isn't a Nexus.
We need to stop setting our expectations based on what we've experienced with the Nexus line. Google seems to want to handle this completely differently than they did with the Nexuses. I would be extremely surprised if they sold out.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I would think so...or some NDA. Either way, I hope a review is released shortly after the reveal. With all the new hardware being announced on the 4th, I expect this place to be Google Central leading into the holidays.

Of course we don't want to see a biased review, but an exclusive review would drive result in an insane amount of traffic. For the last 2 months, its been all about Samsung around here.

99% chance they have a review right unit now. 99% chance every other major Android site/reviewer has one too. 0% chance they will have an exclusive review but i expect a review to be up shortly after the announcement. Whether or not the review unit has final software with all the bells and whistles is another matter altogether.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I would be extremely surprised if they sold out.
I won't be. On the one hand, initial short supplies may be a standard rollout ploy to create an impression of great demand where there really isn't one. Keep the fanbase hungry and cranky and itching to buy to make up for the usual dearth of interest outside of the fanbase. On the other hand, if these will be the first phones to use the Sanpdragon 821, who knows how many of those chips have already been made available or how many are currently in production? Production delays are not unthinkable, especially for HTC.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
1. Google loyalists and die-hard techies have already made the decision to buy on day one, regardless of leaked information, rumors, and price.

2. Well-informed and tech-savvy consumers will wait for the 4th to make a decision based on what Google shows and promises. They understand the specs and how they stack up against the competition. They won't rely on a review to make the decision, but they wont hesitate to return the device either.

3. People generally looking for a new phone will eventually become exposed to marketing after the 4th. Whether this be through online advertisement, in-store kiosks, direct email ads because they own other Google product, etc. Specs outside of screen size and storage probably don't mean much so they'll need further convincing to try out a Pixel. Price is of concern, so slightly cheaper than an iPhone or Galaxy S is warranted. Expect Google to add value by including product protection, accessories, Google Play credits, Google Fi trials, Chromecasts, bonus drive storage, etc.

Marketing, bundled accessories and services will determine how well the Pixels will sell.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Based on previous rumors and the new Pixel marketing strategy, I expect there will be substantial inventory. Both on-line and at Verizon B&M's. I can't imagine that Google would be running pre-launch ads without the inventory to back it up. Also, I'm certain there are many devices out in reviewers hands already. There will be lots of reviews posted on Oct 4.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I suspect reviews to come out closer to release date, not announcement date. Or perhaps closer to order date. I honestly don't expect to see reviews pop up on the 4th. Reviews tend to imply to the general public that a product is ready for purchase. If you can't even pre-order at that point, why bother with a review?

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I hope their will be substantial inventory, and I think there will be.
still I plan to hammer that page the second preorder go live, just in case.
Like an old school nexus launch where they sold out in less than an hour lol.

Rich_T123

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
A lot of it depends on pricing, price the mobile in the same bracket as the Iphone and people will be scared off, other than die hard enthusiasts.
Also if it is priced at a premium iPhone level without the same levels of support that you would expect from the likes of apple ( and the so called genius bar) then a few more will be scared off

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Google being Google, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the event and the order page went live...

Exactly. I believe it was the Nexus 5. No one was expecting the order page to go live right after the announcement. And the lucky ones that got in before inventory ran out received the phone 2-3 days later. It's a possibility, but I honestly believe it will be more like an iPhone roll-out. Pre-orders with shipping in a week or two, simultaneous with availability at a B&M.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I suspect reviews to come out closer to release date, not announcement date. Or perhaps closer to order date. I honestly don't expect to see reviews pop up on the 4th. Reviews tend to imply to the general public that a product is ready for purchase. If you can't even pre-order at that point, why bother with a review?
Pretty much every flagship phone ever has had some kind of review out before it was available. Look up the lg v20. It has dozens of reviews and no one has any clue when it'll be available outside of South Korea. Having reviews before a phone is available is SOP. Unless the Pixels are available for sale on Oct 4, they will definitely have reviews up before they are available

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Google isn't going to let anyone steal its thunder before Oct 4th. If reviews were out now, everything would be confirmed and the hype wagon would not be what it is.

They will announce it, and tell us when it will be available for pre-order (if that) or release date.

What if during the announcement Google said, "you can order the devices now online, with immediate shipping"?

Amazon has fulfillment centers all over the world. I wouldn't be surprised if units are already there under lock and key just waiting for the word.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
If the XL is $749+ then it might "sell out" fast but this will most likely mean they just didn't make many. Google seems to always have low supply on these launches no matter the price point.