Is it important to translate game description?

klapaGames

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

Do you think it's important to translate a google play game description? Does it brings any value to ASO? Which languages are important (I would guess Spanish, French, German, but what else?)?
Or maybe it's fine just to have one description in English?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Would you download a game whose description you can't understand? Yes, English might be the most popular choice and a lot of people understand it, but if you want your app/game to make it into a non-English speaking market, you probably are better off translating it. Also, not only the description, but the game itself. You don't want a Spanish-speaking kid who doesn't understand English to dismiss your app because you left all the menus in English.

Oh, and one more thing. People can be stingy when it comes to their language, so try to have someone validate the translation (Google Translate can only get you so far).

klapaGames

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Would you download a game whose description you can't understand?

This is a very good question. Probably I would. Usually I don't read the description, screens are the most important for me when I hesitate if I should download the game. I can imagine that most of the people would not read the entire description.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's true... I myself don't usually read the whole description, but I do read the first few sentences to at least figure out what exactly the app does or what the game is about. Screens can only tell a part of the story. For instance, if I look at Mortal Kombat X's screens, I'd assume it's a full-on fighter game, only to discover from the description that it's a card-based fighter (a genre that I find most frustrating) and then my interest drops.