Google+ A discussion about etiquette...

ANDROID__JUNKIE

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So with the deployment of Google+ we now have a fairly innovative way to interact with our friends, family and now... complete strangers. Using the mobile application and mobile browser to access the local feed of public posts I have consistently come across, and probably been guilty of, taking a tangent on certain posts with comments that don't relate to the original author's post. I have also noticed that people add me to a circle or have decided to follow my posts that I have never met. The beauty of G+ is that we have the option of compartmentalization, i.e- our own circles, so that the crazies and strangers around us or even those we know don't see everything we post.

My question and hopefully the following discussion will be a way to discuss what is acceptable and what is hated among all that partake in G+. Basically lets lay some ground rules for etiquette in this wild west of social networking and by doing so make it a better place to share your thoughts, hangouts, and activities...

Caveat: Don't make people and me hate you by clogging this with posts comparing Facebook or Twitter, let alone argue over G+'s relevance within the context of public posts. And as always, lets stay positive people!

Begin...

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have not gotten an invite yet hopefully soon) but I can see how easy it would be to get off on a tangent when multiple replies to a post start threading. I would think the most important aspect of relevancy and timeliness. Obviously you would want to reply to a post with something that adds to the topic or expands on a subject while at the same time being sure that you are not reigniting a stale post just to (+1) someone's post.

I am hoping that Google+ evolves so that you can sort posts the way you want (either by newest comment or by post date).

P.S.- Great topic.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Rule number one: Don't be a <expletive>.

Seriously though, as long as people don't act like idiots, it should take care of itself. Unfortunately, it only takes one.

d1ety

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got in on Google+ about 2.5 hours ago. One of the things that I have noted is that it's fairly easy to "circle off" which groups you wish to share certain photos, video, general BS etc...

Unfortunately, for Facebook this was not possible unless I created multiple accts ie. one for gaming vs. personal. With Google+ it looks like I don't have to carry these multi-personas to separate fun time with business.

As far as random posting is concerned... I never minded it on FB as long as it was on point. But as the previous poster stated... it only takes that one.

jSterling

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm really surprised Facebook doesn't have there own circle method. Definetly makes Google+ great cause now I can actually add my close family without them seeing my 21 party pics lol

Sent from my Optimus V running Cynogen 7