Found my phone, and my carrier

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
After a lengthy and deliberate search, I finally pulled the trigger on the 5x and a switch to Project Fi. How could I say no to lowering my phone bill and having a nice new phone (so long, moto x 2013), which will still be less costly than my current bill? I really wanted to like the Samsung s7 (too expensive), and I almost pulled the trigger on a V10 (too expensive and too large), and Sony Xperia z5 compact (no fingerprint sensor on US model and price), but ultimately I couldn't justify a) buying a carrier branded phone and b) the ridiculous cost of these devices, no matter the marketing hype behind them. My needs for data are very low as I rarely stream video or music (32 GB gives me plenty of space to carry along what I might need access to in a typical week), and biggest usage is maps while driving and that sort of thing. As far as having a nicer/faster/better camera, I've got a DSLR that goes where I go already. I'm ok with that. And the 5x camera is apparently no slouch.

So I got the phone today, popped in the sim, let it run a couple of updates, and was surprised to find that my number was literally ported over immediately.. No 1-2 day wait, no issues, no problems, and it *just works*. The March security update is installing right now, so I'll hopefully avoid all the laggy complaints that kept me from making this switch sooner, along with my wishing for a sim slot and wireless charging, things I finally admitted I could live without and weren't worth the cost of admission. Most problematic is this switch to usb-c which doesn't seem to add any real benefit at this point except to grow my cable collection and give me a cable design that should have been done years ago. Still, I got a bunch of cables that seem to be up to spec on the way along with a couple of adapters for other old chargers. Quick charging is nice, but I don't need more chargers either.

I love gadgets, and I like having the best of them. But ultimately once the price dropped to $249 for the 5x, I couldn't say no to at least *trying* the Fi service. How often do we even get the chance to "upgrade" to a newer technology and end up saving money doing it? Hopefully I won't be back complaining about something too soon :)

Last edited:

persim

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
This has been my exact thinking on at least trying Fi, now that the 5X is so cheap. Only thing that I'm hesitating about is I really wouldn't be saving much money (already on prepaid) and I'm not certain how good T-Mobile/Sprint are in my area.

I'll probably just sign up for a month and port back to a VZW mvno with my shiny new 5X.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
These phones aren't terribly shiny ;-) And the screen colors seem muted even in comparison to my 2013 Moto X. The black levels aren't even close, but after applying the color temperature fix, the whites are whiter.

Yes, they've made it easy to switch back to wherever you want to go and still get the phone at a bargain price. And that's another great thing with this phone, though my first day did have couple of speedbumps: First, I had to figure out how to get the right driver installed to get it to connect to Windows via MTP (I had an ADB driver loading), and then I was getting a crazy buzzing sound when playing music which seems to be related to an advanced setting in PowerAmp. All good now.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty