Will Google Project Fi join the unlimited?

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
You think, Google Project Fi, will give the option to join the unlimited data plan?
I know this kind of goes against google fi plan for cheaper cell phone plan but.. Since all major carriers now have it.. I was thinking for in order for them to survive this would be a good idea.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Project Fi join the unlimited

Won't happen. Google pays the carriers for the data we use, then passes the cost on to us. It's a money-losing plan for Google to allow us an unlimited data plan.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It probably would require renegotiation with Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular.

bdb23

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I usually use around 2GB/mo and my bill is about $50. I'm almost always on T-mobile LTE so adding a 2nd line and opting for their 2 line $100 plan gives me much more flexibility in steaming while traveling. ProjectFi was good before carriers started the unlimited competition. It still is if you use virtually no data, but I may be jumping ship after a year and a half.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I jumped from Fi to TMO three weeks ago. We were paying about $50 a month for my wife and myself on Fi, with all the stackable promos they had going we ended up with 4 lines, one of which is my lte gear s3 for only $85 a month, and all are unlimited. We just got tired of always having to check data usage. So for $35 more we have two extra lines and we no longer worry about data. We are not data hogs and if we use 10 gigs for the two of us that would be a lot, but with Fi that would be $100, with tmo its still just $85.

I liked Fi, the idea is great and mostly works well. You read a lot of praise for their csr, but you will find that there is a big difference between friendly service and knowledgeable service. They are very friendly but seldom knowledgeable.

Fi has a real problem on its hands with all these new plans, pricing and promos. If you use almost no data you're ok, but if you use more than a couple of gigs a month they are no longer competitive.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Fi has a real problem on its hands with all these new plans, pricing and promos. If you use almost no data you're ok, but if you use more than a couple of gigs a month they are no longer competitive.

Fi never really was for people who use more than a couple gigs a month anyway. Even before the unlimited data plans came out, once you hit ~3 GB of data usage you start paying around the same as some of the single-line limited-data plans.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
^^ True enough but I found myself constantly checking my data use and not using my phone at times when I wanted to in order to keep data use down. It's been really nice not having to even think about that anymore.

I think that Fi's biggest problem is not going to be quality of service but a complete lack of innovation in a business sector that is innovating their business models almost on a weekly basis.

bdb23

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I jumped from Fi to TMO three weeks ago. We were paying about $50 a month for my wife and myself on Fi, with all the stackable promos they had going we ended up with 4 lines, one of which is my lte gear s3 for only $85 a month, and all are unlimited. We just got tired of always having to check data usage. So for $35 more we have two extra lines and we no longer worry about data. We are not data hogs and if we use 10 gigs for the two of us that would be a lot, but with Fi that would be $100, with tmo its still just $85.

I liked Fi, the idea is great and mostly works well. You read a lot of praise for their csr, but you will find that there is a big difference between friendly service and knowledgeable service. They are very friendly but seldom knowledgeable.

Damn, that many lines for under $100. They're showing 2 lines for $100 now.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Damn, that many lines for under $100. They're showing 2 lines for $100 now.
You need to call and ask if the 20 percent off for life promo is still in effect and then ask if the add a line for free is also still available. We stacked those and we also got the get $150 each for porting in two lines.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
^^ True enough but I found myself constantly checking my data use and not using my phone at times when I wanted to in order to keep data use down. It's been really nice not having to even think about that anymore.

I think that Fi's biggest problem is not going to be quality of service but a complete lack of innovation in a business sector that is innovating their business models almost on a weekly basis.

Yep this is why I stay on unlimited. I can pick my phone up and call, text, or do anything else without worrying about the phone bill increasing.

bdb23

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
You need to call and ask if the 20 percent off for life promo is still in effect and then ask if the add a line for free is also still available. We stacked those and we also got the get $150 each for porting in two lines.

Ditched ProjectFi today for TMo. Got the 2 for 100 unlimited, 20% off for life, and 13.55 off my bill for 24 months for coming over with my Pixel XL. That's about $66/mo for 2 lines with everything.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the switch! It feels good to not have to be checking data use anymore. So far coverage has been good but I did do a lot of checking before we switched and no big surprises.

I have the feeling that Fi may be seeing a net outflow of customer with all these new plans and promos.

bdb23

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I was always on T-mobile LTE when I was on Fi. I'm suburbs of Chicago so I should be fine. There's some pockets out in the corner of Illinois that will be a problem (Galena). I really had no problems with Fi and kept my bills around $55, but this allows me to revert to my old Verizon UDP days.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that we've been having this conversation on the Fi forum. We should have moved it over to the Tmo forum.

The Fi service was fine but the data issue was just beginning to grind on me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87