Screen burn-in?

nipcarlover

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure if there is another thread or not, but I have heard that OLED screens can have screen burn-in after just a few months of usage. I know that it happens only if you keep the screen on for a long time on a static image.
What concerns me are those three buttons at the bottom as they are static when the phone is being used.
Any idea how to reduce screen burn-in issues especially at the bottom of the screen?

NexUsandThem

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I dont think you have to worry too much about burn- in. From what I understand about OLED (Super AMOLED for the Gnex) is that certain colors can fade over time. It is estimated that can happen in as little as 14,000 hours. This is most common in the blue color spectrum. Basically don't leave your display on for 8+ hours a day or else you may experience burn-in or failure after about 8 years. Since we are most likely upgrading our phones every 1 to 2 years, I do no think it will be much of a problem. The worst examples of burn-in I have seen were from early generation of plasma screens. I hope this helps.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
If you don't keep your screen on all the time or super bright I'm guessing the screen will last as long as you'd want to keep the phone. Static or not probably doesn't matter so much, except that darker is better for battery life and because it exercises the colours less which is why Android now has a black status bar :)

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What concerns me are those three buttons at the bottom as they are static when the phone is being used.
Any idea how to reduce screen burn-in issues especially at the bottom of the screen?

If play a game or watch a video that goes full screen, it should help with burn in. The bottom button icons disappear or just turn into three little dots. But all AMOLED or SAMOLED screens can have burn in issues. There are like plasma screens unfortunately. I notice a blue tint where the status bar is and the bottom buttons are. I try to rotate the screen around when browsing so the same image isn't always at the same spot.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa