Can't transfer files to/from my Galaxy Nexus to/from my PC

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The title speaks for itself. Basically I can't move files to or from my Nexus. My PC does one of two things:

1) Windows gets stuck on the "Calculating time to copy files" window, and won't go on to do anything. The window showing the Nexus' file system turns unresponsive.

2) When copying an mkv to my Nexus, where as I would usually be asked whether I'm sure I want to proceed as it might not be able to play the file, windows just crashes, ie. Windows Explorer crashes and restarts. This happens the moment I hit paste or drag onto my Nexus' file.

I've tried AirDroid but the app reboots after 3.2GB and the zip file is corrupted, while WiFi file transfer (paid) won't work at all.

I can appreciate all the help you can give me folks, otherwise after my exams I'll either get an HTC One X or move to Windows Phone and a Nokia. Don't want to do either cause I love my Nexus! Anyway, thanks again!

clashRAINN

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the Samsung cable that came with the phone? That cable doesn't work for me... I had to use a different cable in order to use adb to root my Nexus. Also, if that doesn't fix the problem try turning on USB debugging... you shouldn't have to do this but I had a similar problem transferring files and everything worked after I turned on USB debugging.

Reactions: JackG058

pinwheel herman

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This may sound like a weird suggestion, but it seems the DivX codec installed on your PC can cause the problem where copying mkv files to a GN crashes Windows. If you delete this codec, you may be able to copy the files fine. Of course, this is a little impractical, so it's probably best to find a wifi transfer program that works.

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
In my case, DivX file copying crashes the windows explorer. I've tried everything anyone ever said on any forum, and still couldn't transfer anything other than pictures, audio and video [Basically - MEDIA of Media transfer protocol]. Started using dropbox to copy files from point a to point b.

BTW, one question for you emmib. How did you get AirDroid working on Galaxy Nexus? I gave it a spin couple of times, but the url shown on the device doesn't open anything on my laptop browser. Even the airdroid app description on the market says "ICS 4.o.x not supported. Please let me know as I just loved what this app claimed it could do.

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the Samsung cable that came with the phone? That cable doesn't work for me... I had to use a different cable in order to use adb to root my Nexus. Also, if that doesn't fix the problem try turning on USB debugging... you shouldn't have to do this but I had a similar problem transferring files and everything worked after I turned on USB debugging.

I've tried using my Galaxy Nexus cable AND my Motorola Xoom cable, but no luck. I've just tried to install the drivers through the ADK, will see how it goes.

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
In my case, DivX file copying crashes the windows explorer. I've tried everything anyone ever said on any forum, and still couldn't transfer anything other than pictures, audio and video [Basically - MEDIA of Media transfer protocol]. Started using dropbox to copy files from point a to point b.

BTW, one question for you emmib. How did you get AirDroid working on Galaxy Nexus? I gave it a spin couple of times, but the url shown on the device doesn't open anything on my laptop browser. Even the airdroid app description on the market says "ICS 4.o.x not supported. Please let me know as I just loved what this app claimed it could do.

I just followed the instructions on screen. It works fantastically, but the connection seems to time out for no reason. The app listing says that ICS 4.0.x support is patchy now, try updating the app.

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
This may sound like a weird suggestion, but it seems the DivX codec installed on your PC can cause the problem where copying mkv files to a GN crashes Windows. If you delete this codec, you may be able to copy the files fine. Of course, this is a little impractical, so it's probably best to find a wifi transfer program that works.

Do you know how I can do this? At this point I'm willing to give anything a try. Like I said I love my Nexus, but this problem is rendering it useless for me.

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
What I can't understand is why Windows just hangs for a simple copy and paste. I've tried dragging one file to another too, no luck.

However, it seems ok with transfers of a few kb.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
MTP sucks big time, I use "SyncMe Wireless" (SyncMe Wireless - Android app on AppBrain) to sync whole "sdcard" to my PC (I use one way), that way I have a reliable backup.

Timely. After a small drop on the floor last night, my phone decided to spaz out and start bootlooping all night. (Apparently... I only found out when I woke up late because my alarm didn't go off and was greeted with endless boot animations.)

Since a good long battery pull seems to have it behaving for the time being, at least -- *finds piece of wood* ... *knocks hard* -- I figured I better make a decent backup ASAP but Windows Explorer MTP transfer kept taking a dump halfway through any large file (e.g. nandroid backups).

Found this thread, now running SyncMe Wireless as we speak -- suggestion much appreciated! To my amazement, I actually managed to get it working over the office wifi network with a Win7 virtual machine hosted on a Mac... all within about 5 minutes. I'm suspicious: it was almost too easy... Not terribly fast, but easy.

It would be nice if the app had an option to exclude selected subfolders, so I could do everything in one job while excluding music. But right now I'll take what I can get. :)

midimench

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I had and fixed the same problem. First be sure you have the latest update 4.02. Use the normal cable that came with it. Open up the folders and either create a new document, music or picture folder after erasing the original ones or create folders with similar names, like photos, MP3's and document instead of documents. Transfer the files you want. You can always use a android utility called es file explorer (once you disconnect the USB cable) to move your copied files into the correct folders after the fact and delete the ones you created. The next time, it will just work....I have no idea why

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I had and fixed the same problem. First be sure you have the latest update 4.02. Use the normal cable that came with it. Open up the folders and either create a new document, music or picture folder after erasing the original ones or create folders with similar names, like photos, MP3's and document instead of documents. Transfer the files you want. You can always use a android utility called es file explorer (once you disconnect the USB cable) to move your copied files into the correct folders after the fact and delete the ones you created. The next time, it will just work....I have no idea why

I never had problem accessing the normal media files. Well, very rarely. But the other files like the backups created by Titanium Backup or app backups created by ES App manager - they play hard to get on computer.

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

No luck I'm afraid. To be completely honest I can't even test out your suggestion, and here's why:

When I select the Documents file to delete, I'm informed that the device has been disconnected. When I reconnect the device, the file's gone.
When I create a New Folder, type in the name Documents and hit enter, the window freezes and turns unresponsive. I've reinstalled drivers, but no luck. I'm starting to think it's an issue with my phone :/

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I've now given up hope on ever getting this to work the normal way. Even the Bluetooth file transfer doesn't work. Nexus and PC pair well but when it comes to transferring file from one to another, it's a no go. :'( Device manager says some driver are missing and just won't honor the file transfer. The airdroid also doesn't work. So I've been using box and dropbox to copy files between my two devices. Sad. :confused:

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've now given up hope on ever getting this to work the normal way. Even the Bluetooth file transfer doesn't work. Nexus and PC pair well but when it comes to transferring file from one to another, it's a no go. :'( Device manager says some driver are missing and just won't honor the file transfer. The airdroid also doesn't work. So I've been using box and dropbox to copy files between my two devices. Sad. :confused:

I think sometime over the past two weeks some file corrupted the system. I'm going to try a factory reset, then root. Apparently 4.0.3 solves these problems. Only one way to find out ;)

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
When I select the Documents file to delete, I'm informed that the device has been disconnected. When I reconnect the device, the file's gone.
When I create a New Folder, type in the name Documents and hit enter, the window freezes and turns unresponsive. I've reinstalled drivers, but no luck. I'm starting to think it's an issue with my phone :/

I'd use Astro (or similar) to validate existence or otherwise of any file and folder as MTP (or MTP via Windows is flakey).

Anyone know how you can check the integrity of the phones file system?

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd use Astro (or similar) to validate existence or otherwise of any file and folder as MTP (or MTP via Windows is flakey).

Anyone know how you can check the integrity of the phones file system?

I've been thinking just that actually. I'm certain it's something wrong with the partition 'cause every time I try to do something to the sdcard partition, even through my phone, I get an error message telling that android.media has been force close........

EDIT: It's android.process.media that's acting up. Closed twice in the past 20 minutes or so while I'm compressing all my important folders into 1 zip file to uload through dropbox. On my phone, not the PC.

emmib

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Right, so here's an update. I did a factory restore and went ahead with rooting it. Just after unlocking the bootloader (which cleared the Nexus' internal memory) I had no issues transferring files from my PC to the Nexus. Now I'm rooted, running AOKP 4.0.3. Transfers are fantastic, so there might be some truth to the rumors that 4.0.2 has some bugs in it. Will update as I go along.

JackG058

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the USB debugging tip. That did it for me. I was having the identical issue. Clicked that box and boom, the copy over took off.

hewi456

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
SOLVED!!!!!!

download ES file explorer from play store (its free)
then put the video files that wont copy into a zip folder (any program will do but must be a .zip file type)

copy to android device, then using ES fie explorer extract the files to desired location
and enjoy....

i recommend using the vlc beta version to play all file types on android devices works great and it free!!!

enjoy

The title speaks for itself. Basically I can't move files to or from my Nexus. My PC does one of two things:

1) Windows gets stuck on the "Calculating time to copy files" window, and won't go on to do anything. The window showing the Nexus' file system turns unresponsive.

2) When copying an mkv to my Nexus, where as I would usually be asked whether I'm sure I want to proceed as it might not be able to play the file, windows just crashes, ie. Windows Explorer crashes and restarts. This happens the moment I hit paste or drag onto my Nexus' file.

I've tried AirDroid but the app reboots after 3.2GB and the zip file is corrupted, while WiFi file transfer (paid) won't work at all.

I can appreciate all the help you can give me folks, otherwise after my exams I'll either get an HTC One X or move to Windows Phone and a Nokia. Don't want to do either cause I love my Nexus! Anyway, thanks again!