HTC Evo 3D To GN Prepaid Gophone

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys!

As you all mus know Google is now offering the GN as an unlocked phone in the US with a warranty! Great news if you ask me BUT I have a few questions for you...

1) How will this phone work with ATT's Prepaid Gophone plans? What will I need to make this happen? I know I can buy a SIM without a phone, plus if I did but it with the SIM then I would have too call CS...No thanks! Does the SIM work right out of the box with this phone?

2) Warranty - Is there a way to get an extended warranty? Say if I drop it or something?

3) How is the ATT prepaid service Vs the paid service? They use the same towers?

Thanks a lot for any information guys! I am looking to leave Sprint in the dust and all contracts for that matter. Also before you all yell that T-Mo is better...They don't have any towers here in VT! Id be roaming onto ATT towers anyways with just EDGE! No good ><

Thanks....

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
For 1 and 3.

Go phone doesn't include roaming to my understanding. However you would be much better off using a AT&T MVNO than using AT&T gophone ($50 dollar unlimited talk and text + $25 for 1GB data)

Some options off the top of my head is Red Pocket Mobile ($60 unlimited talk, text, 2GB data). Or if you dont use too much data Straight Talk's $45 dollar unlimited talk, text, data* (they will cut you off if they deem you are using too much data which is some unknown threshold.)

You should be able to activate the service online

2. Buy with a major credit card that offers free extended manufacturer warranty (most do). Some insurance companies that offer accidental coverage include worthavegroup and squaretrade. I would go with worthavegroup

Oh and you could use callingmart.com to order your refill codes with no tax and email delivery. They cost maybe 90cents less than the refill amount and they usually have promo codes where you can get an extra 3-5% off the price. You get 1 point per dollar spent that you could use towards payments of future refills.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes indeed great info! I was thinking about the $25 plan with 250 mins and unlimited text with the 1Gig of data....Or do you have to have the $50 for the smart phone plans?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
The AT&T proper plans (or GoPhone) aren't nearly as cost effective as the MVNO's that run on AT&T or T-Mobile.

The other options like Straight Talk, Red Pocket, H20 Wireless, etc. all offer better prices. T-Mobile and Simple Mobile have similar offerings.

NYC Dude

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm using T-mobile because I'm in a HSPA+42Mbps area (New York City). I was on the $60 unlimited talk, text data @2GB high speed. But this month I switched to their $30 100 min, unlimited text, 5Gb high speed 2G afterwards plan. I use the VOIP Talkatone with google voice to make and receive calls that over wifi and HSPA+. Using callingmart with 5% coupon code and my points I got the refill code for $26.50. That my friend is the beauty of freedom.

That particular plan wouldn't work for you since T-mobile only has edge in your area.

Edit: I think AT&T can tell when you're using a smartphone on their gophone service. I could be wrong on that though. If they can they will force you into the smartphone plan.

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm using T-mobile because I'm in a HSPA+42Mbps area (New York City). I was on the $60 unlimited talk, text data @GB high speed. But this month I switched to their $30 100 min, unlimited text, 5Gb high speed 2G afterwards plan. I use the VOIP Talkatone with google voice to make and receive calls that over wifi and HSPA+. Using callingmart with 5% coupon code and my points I got the refill code for $26.50. That my friend is the beauty of freedom.

Doing the same except just using GMail + Google Voice for VOIP calls on my PC and just dealing with 100 minutes (Talkatone / GrooVe IP not consistent enough for me).

Just found out about CallingMart also. Fantastic deal. Just bought and added $60 to my account for 2 months of service for $57. What a deal. Loving this setup.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I want a Smartphone plan. I was wondering is the $25 250 minute plan would work with 1Gig smart phone plan.

Also can you use the 4G GSM speeds on ATT with Gophone?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I want a Smartphone plan. I was wondering is the $25 250 minute plan would work with 1Gig smart phone plan.

Also can you use the 4G GSM speeds on ATT with Gophone?

GoPhone is just not a good idea. Basically, you can try to stick on the $50/month "unlimited" featurephone plan and hope they don't catch you using a smartphone. But chances are they'll eventually find out and tell you to change your plan. Then you'll be paying $50 a month for 250 minutes and 1gb of data, which is extremely expensive.

Just use one of the aforementioned MVNO plans. You'll pay $60 and get UL talk, UL text, and ~2gb data (or if you can keep data low, use Straight Talk $45 plan). No frills no charges no chances of getting kicked off.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
GoPhone is just not a good idea. Basically, you can try to stick on the $50/month "unlimited" featurephone plan and hope they don't catch you using a smartphone. But chances are they'll eventually find out and tell you to change your plan. Then you'll be paying $50 a month for 250 minutes and 1gb of data, which is extremely expensive.

Just use one of the aforementioned MVNO plans. You'll pay $60 and get UL talk, UL text, and ~2gb data (or if you can keep data low, use Straight Talk $45 plan). No frills no charges no chances of getting kicked off.

Thanks mart! :)

Thinking I will be getting the google nexus in a few weeks! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95