Force update to 4.0.4?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
For security, once the phone is up and running, disable USB Debugging.
Also, Google recommends relocking the boot loader for additional security.

However, if you think you will want to root or play with custom roms at some point, don't lock the bootloader. Remember, everytime you unlock it it wipes the phone. If you have a PIN/Password and USB debugging is off, the phone is pretty secure. If you refuse to use a PIN/Password, I'd recommend locking the bootloader so that someone can't gain root without wiping the phone.

To relock the bootloader: fastboot oem lock

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks man. Downloading now will get to work.

I use a PIN always so I might just leave it unlocked in case I get an itch to play some more.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Question, do I unzip the image files right into the platform tools folder? I see there is some other stuff in there.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I'm on step 3. In the command line it says "waiting for device". On the phone there is a big button that says Start but is not active and the green android with it's chest open. But nothing appears to be happening.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok so this seems to be a common problem on Win7 64bit. Everyone says to install a generic Samsung driver from the list in Windows but none come up and none of the 3 options work.

Can I get this driver from some where?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
The drivers you have work, if the adb devices showed it and it rebooted the phone into the Android screen.

Press Ctrl-C to break out. then just try: fastboot devices to see if the fastboot lists your phone. (Should a similar number as when you ran ADB.)

If not, power the phone off and then check the usb cable. Then power it up into the bootloader by pressing Volume UP, Volume DOWN, and pressing the power button. Should turn on right to the Android on his back screen. Try fastboot devices again.

Remember, when you issue the fastboot oem unlock command, there will be a prompt you have to answer on the phone. The command will see waiting.... on the computer until you confirm on the phone.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Device manager is seeing the phone but saying it has no drivers. When I pick from the list manually like many say on the net to do it says the drivers don't work. If I use the ones you gave, also all over the net, it says they are already installed. Fastboot is not seeing the phone while in the fastboot mode. Windows says tehre are no drivers....

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The phone never responded the first time with any message, all I saw was "waiting for device" in the command line box. It's been sitting here on the fastboot screen, Windows is now seeing it as "Android ADB Interface" with a yellow "!"

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Just power it off and and back on. That is weird. I just rebuilt my home PC. I'll load the drivers up and see if I missed a step.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I think your phone may have locked up .... press and hold power button or just yank your battery. When it boots back up, plug back in and try the adb devices command. If you see it, you should be set. I just loaded the drivers using the links I provided and the android sdkt and everything is working fine for me.

But if the drivers keep acting up, then you're on the right track. I would search XDA for the naked USB drivers, though. Works with more devices than the Samsung ones.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks will check that out. I pulled the battery and it's back. This driver issue seems crazy. From what I've found I need different drivers when it's in the fastboot mode. As soon as I put it into fastboot my PC flashed that a new device had connected and it could not find any drivers. No drivers I tried would work.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Damn Windows and its fragmentation issues! Sheesh :p

I'm not sure what more to offer, except to maybe give the Samsung or Naked USB drivers a try. The ones I posted do work. Set it up on Dell laptop at work, and twice on my home PC. So not sure what the hang up might be.

You can try the GUI tools posted by the other guys, too. Being a command-line guy, I always prefer doing it the "manual" way, as I know exactly what's being done. Once the USB issue is sorted, the rest is a piece of cake.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Damn Windows and its fragmentation issues! Sheesh :p

I'm not sure what more to offer, except to maybe give the Samsung or Naked USB drivers a try. The ones I posted do work. Set it up on Dell laptop at work, and twice on my home PC. So not sure what the hang up might be.

You can try the GUI tools posted by the other guys, too. Being a command-line guy, I always prefer doing it the "manual" way, as I know exactly what's being done. Once the USB issue is sorted, the rest is a piece of cake.

The problem is I can't get the drivers anywhere. When I try to pick from the list manually in the device manager none of them work. When I try to use the ones you put up it says they are already installed.

Why don't Google or Samsung provide the drivers for fastboot mode? I've never had Windows 7 not be able to find a driver...Microsoft can't write them all for everyone Google should have more support.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I think I will try on my laptop this time. It's the same version of Windows though so we'll see.

What was on your machines? XP or 7? 64bit?

The second package is the one I already have that doesn't work...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87