Will the built in wifi tether work?

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be using a sim card from an italian carrier and I'm wondering if the built-in wifi tether option for the galaxy nexus will be usable without the carrier making me pay for a wifi hotspot plan.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be using a sim card from an italian carrier and I'm wondering if the built-in wifi tether option for the galaxy nexus will be usable without the carrier making me pay for a wifi hotspot plan.
yes, it will work... and the carriers will have no idea since they dont have their spyware in the phone since its pure google. I hope its gsm unlocked.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes it'll work unless the carrier cares enough to do some serious packet inspection to "catch" you. The firmware is not tampered with so they won't know that you've enabled it though.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Tethering will work, assuming you have the unlocked Play Store GSM version, but whether your carrier will detect it depends on how they determine whether you are tethering. Even though there is no carrier software on the phone, some carriers use very basic measures like monitoring which browser is making the request. You can spoof your user-agent on your browser if you think this will be a problem. Others will simply make assumptions based on amount of data usage. So see if you can research your potential carrier(s) for info.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i use it on At&t network. I tether my N7 with Gnex i never heard from At&t :D is it ok? You mentioned something about browser request.. i use Chrome on both Devices they pretty identical.. does this mean At&t isnt able to detect ?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
i use it on At&t network. I tether my N7 with Gnex i never heard from At&t :D is it ok? You mentioned something about browser request.. i use Chrome on both Devices they pretty identical.. does this mean At&t isnt able to detect ?

If the carrier wants to know, they'll know. When it comes down to it there's really nothing you can do to keep them from finding out that you're using the hotspot function. But theres really no reason for them to care enough to look into your usage if you're keeping it in check usage-wise.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If the carrier wants to know, they'll know. When it comes down to it there's really nothing you can do to keep them from finding out that you're using the hotspot function. But theres really no reason for them to care enough to look into your usage if you're keeping it in check usage-wise.

Yeah im a light user i avarage between 250 and 300 mb a month :D. No streaming or constant bandwidth usage on my pbone. So i guess im free to use it :)

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah this is the case with At&t.

The folks that have unlimited plans are the ones they are interested in catching and removing, I only use my line with my 3GB plan. If they catch me tethering on that, there is nothing they can do(Out of contract on all my lines). I would just drop the line.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah hmm that's right im also out of contract.. Hahah i forgot about it.. TAKE THAT AT&T try to mess with mme I'll drop the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa