Updating Jelly Bean from 4.0.2?

birdbird

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
So, I just got my hands on a GNex today, and it's still running ICS 4.0.2.

I was wondering if I can directly update from that to Jelly Bean or do I first need to got to 4.0.4?

I've read this article, but the author is on 4.0.4 (How to install Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus).

I'm basically lost on how to update (I've tried updating via System Update but it says my phone is up to date which it clearly isn't). This is my first cell phone actually so I have basically no knowledge on how this is supposed to go.

I did see the guide on how to get to Jelly Bean from 4.0.4 and that article I linked shows me how as well. So if it's only possible to go to Jelly Bean from 4.0.4, how do I get to 4.0.4? I tride doing some research but the terms used are really unfamiliar to me.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

birdbird

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
since you just got the device i would advice a factory image restore to Jelly Bean so it will be like brand new.

here is detailed steps i made. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...er-factory-restore-root-any-nexus-device.html

Ok I'll read that thread.

If you're still on 4.0.2, you're not on "yakju" or "takju". You're gonna want to flash to "takju", which will serve double duty. It'll move you to 4.1.1 Jelly Bean and get you on the update path straight from Google from here on out.

I'd check out this link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-return-your-gsm-nexus-stock-flash-takju.html

The problem is I don't know how to flash to takju.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see the link. I'll try doing what you posted on your guide.

Last edited:

birdbird

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
in step 2 download the takju provided in link and you will be converted to takju

I'm not even past step one yet. Should I be doing your guide first and then the other one? Or do I pick one and do it?

By computer is extremely slow .. so I haven't even gotten the drivers yet ...

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Trust me.... Take things one step at a time, read through everything to make sure you understand before you begin. It takes some time to do properly especially if you're not familiar with the process. Best of luck, I hope it goes smoothly for you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

birdbird

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Trust me.... Take things one step at a time, read through everything to make sure you understand before you begin. It takes some time to do properly especially if you're not familiar with the process. Best of luck, I hope it goes smoothly for you

Thank you for the luck haha.

Does anyone know if I should be using still1's guide or Andrew's?

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
It won't hurt you to read through both just to educate yourself. I think I used Andrews guide as I recall. That was only back in April of this year and I've lost track of how many different ROMs I've tried out since then :)

birdbird

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
It won't hurt you to read through both just to educate yourself. I think I used Andrews guide as I recall. That was only back in April of this year and I've lost track of how many different ROMs I've tried out since then :)

Yup, I'm working through Andrew's guide right now. Just got stuck on something that I need confirmation for before I change it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38