My S21U's back is cracked... ☹️ (In a case!)

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
So I was swapping cases out this weekend and happened to notice that my S21 Ultra has a very small crack on the back. I don't know how this happened, as I always keep a case on my phone, and I've been using the same brand of case, Poetic, for years without issue.

Is this a cause for concern, and will the crack get bigger? Now the biggest downside for me is the fact that I basically won't be able to ever trade my device in, or I will get considerably less for it. This is also the first time I've ever had a crack in a phone at all.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So I was swapping cases out this weekend and happened to notice that my S21 Ultra has a very small crack on the back. I don't know how this happened, as I always keep a case on my phone, and I've been using the same brand of case, Poetic, for years without issue.

Is this a cause for concern, and will the crack get bigger? Now the biggest downside for me is the fact that I basically won't be able to ever trade my device in, or I will get considerably less for it. This is also the first time I've ever had a crack in a phone at all.
For trade-ins, it depends on who your carrier is or who you buy from. AT&T will offer trade-ins for new phones using the old one in "any year, any condition". That's how I got the new S24+ using my previous S20 FE with a shattered front screen (but it still worked).

My wife had an iPhone 4 in a case the whole time she used it. But when she upgraded to another one, she kept the old one - figuring on selling it ourselves. When I took it out of the case, the back glass had shattered at some point with little chunks of glass spilling out all over. It could have just happened, or it could have been like that for months.

I actually can't remember what we did with it after that. But glass is still glass and it can happen that the right shock can crack it.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
"Glass is Glass and Glass breaks"

Unfortunately it's very likely to get worse. You have two options:

1) Replace the back glass with a high quality replacement and hope they don't notice when you trade it.

2) I don't think Samsung cares about the rear only the front.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
"Glass is Glass and Glass breaks"

Unfortunately it's very likely to get worse. You have two options:

1) Replace the back glass with a high quality replacement and hope they don't notice when you trade it.

2) I don't think Samsung cares about the rear only the front.
Actually, they do. I had a scratch on the lens cover of my Note 20, and it allegedly arrived "cracked." I took a significant hit for that.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Is the battery expanding? On my S8, I woke up one day to find out the back was cracked and the battery had expanded.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
No. Not at all. And it's just a small crack, barely noticeable. In fact, in order to see it, you need to shine a light on it to tell, or else it would just look like a scratch.

And yeah, Samsung definitely cares whether your device is cracked or not. My guess would be if I sent it in by some chance for trade in, it would get rejected.