Should I root my phone?

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Rooting a Android phone can open the door to so many different possibility's. It's not even funny. Custom Rom's are fun and depending on what you choose to run, totally customizable in so many ways. Flashing Rom's can also become habit forming. BUT! Make sure you do your homework before attempting any of this. Do some research and learn about what you are doing to your device. Too many people go into it blind and you can brick your phone if not careful. I read up on Rooting for about 2 months before I felt confident enough to try it myself. But if you chose to do it always remember rule #1. Always back up your device in case something does happen! And have fun!
Thanks. I'm already rooted and as mentioned above, I've flashed the stock ROM back to my Gnex. The only problem I've had is finding the right drivers to get the job done. At this point, I'd like a link to see what ROMs might be worth considering. I did find this site:
http://theunlockr.com/category/roms-2/android-roms-2/samsung-galaxy-nexus-roms-gsm/
Pete

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a few different ROMs from different developers. I personally lean towards. AOKP. Lots of cool tweaks and a great balance of battery life and performance.

Sent from my rotary phone

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've tried a few different ROMs from different developers. I personally lean towards. AOKP. Lots of cool tweaks and a great balance of battery life and performance.

Sent from my rotary phone
Thanks. I've been googling on the ROM issue. It seems that with the gsm Galaxy Nexus that I'm in the unique position of always having the latest stock ROM. In other words, I would not be flashing ROMs to get a later version; it would have to be for some other reason such as performance. Therefore, I need to be careful when selecting ROMs that they're based on Android 4.1.1. Have I understood the issue correctly?

Although I'm still very new to Android, I've replaced almost all of the stock apps. This includes browser, contacts, dialer, SMS, gallery, music player, email, clock, etc. Therefore, it would seem that I would be wanting a custom ROM based on Android 4.1.1 that was bare bones, but with improved speed and performance. That way I could just add in my apps while minimizing bloatware. Does that sound reasonable? If so, any ROM suggestions?
Pete

Humi1ity

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I used to be very active with rooting and romming my phones. But I have come to realize that it is just more of a hassle than anything else. I got tired of constantly having to set my phone up. I also realized that there really weren't too many reasons for me to need root access. There's nothing I do with my phone on a regular basis that I can't do on stock. Especially with jelly bean I don't have any desire to root or rom right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have the original Galaxy Nexus 4G on T-Mobile and my main interest in rooting is that I want to get rid of the T-Mobile apps to free up HS space. I have no substantive support, but I would think that over the past couple of years as internal HD space has increased, do have app sizes? I'm sick of having to manage my apps and data to keep a portion of the internal HD space free. So, with those elements in mind, would rooting be worth it?

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
research research research! that's the first thing, research the custom roms and see what they have to offer, there are many custom roms that do differently. Also youtube how to root and see videos how people root their Gnex. Do these two steps and you will know whether you want to root your phone or not. Personally, i rooted my Gnex to a custom rom because the stock volume sucked (too low), battery life was unbearable and the ugly navigation bar.

Sara Vale

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Any benefits from rooting a Samsung Galaxy Ace ? GT-S5830
I've done: *#9900# Then: 'Send to SD card'
This freed loads of internal memory, from 'Memory low' warnings to 66.23MB. Cache of copied info ?
But I understand that once rooted almost all my apps can go to the SD card, making everything quicker etc.
Novice but keen to understand, please help.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa