Buying Google TV

Krasin

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking of buying a revue but I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'd rather not buy something that has no hope of updates. Is it mostly lag free and functional or should I wait for a few months?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mostly lag free. I use mine for pandora, Netflix, watching web videos, and most importantly the harmony technology where the Revie controls my FiOS DVR STB, Tv, and sound bar.

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I got mine since the price drop. Since the update it crashes constantly whether watching HBOGo, Netflix, or Amazon videos. The shockwave player is unstable as has been thoroughly documented on support sites.

I switched to a Roku and now the family is happy. $99 wasted unless you want to troubleshoot the beta product for Google. I was very very disappointed.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

stonefeet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I would wait until the nextGen boxes start coming out the revue is nice at 99 but will not see future updates
Also is terribly under powered

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 of them, and I haven't really am currently not having much problem with viewing videos on Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. After the 3.0 upgrade, Netflix initially did give me some fits until I changed the Revue DNS addresses (easy to do), but it has been stable since then. Amazon sometimes doesn't start the video stream, and I just have to restart it, but have not had any problems getting through the video from that point forward.

For my second unit, I picked up a Logitech reconditioned unit from Amazon for $80. It is essentially a new one that was probably returned by a user frustrated with the long delay getting the Honeycomb update.

If you only plan to use one device permanently, I would wait for the new units that will be coming up from Vizio and others, this year. If you want to try out Google TV via the Revue, and might transfer it over to a secondary TV later, I don't think you have much to lose with a reconditioned unit. Personally, I'm pretty happy with the Revues, and we use them daily. They serve my needs, and it remains to be seen what more or better functionality will be available on the upcoming units.

Update: Shortly after saying all of the above, I encountered a problem using Amazon Instant Video. Part way into the movie stream, the unit became unresponsive to any keyins from the remote, and after a few minutes exited the streaming. Shortly after restarting the stream, I was hit with a message that Shockwave Flash had crashed. That's the first time I encountered that problem,

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty