Replacing HTPC with Google TV

jenskristian

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Right now I have a HTPC I've build myself connected to my TV. I'm using it to stream video from my NAS (Synology DS1511+) using XBMC on the HTPC. I also watch NFL Game Pass. Since the things I'm using the HTPC for are so few I'm considering replacing it with something simpler, and I'm right now looking at Google TV.

I know XBMC and NFL Game Pass has Android apps, but will a Google TV setup be able to fully do what my HTPC does today? If someone has tried something similar I'd really appreciate your experiences. Or if there is a better way to do this with different hardware or software I'd appreciate that as well.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you mean simpler referring to the interface, the physical hardware, or the ease of use here.

The hardware is simpler, the interface is nice if you are used to Android, and the whole experience is pretty good. That said, the whole experience is still pretty unpolished and the app selection is VERY limited unless you sideload apps - and if you are doing that all that simplicity you wanted is out the window.

It is true that XBMC is out for Android (beta I believe) but it is not out for GTV as far as I can tell. Guess you could try and sideload that as well.

Funny that you are looking to make the switch in this direction as I am switching to something closer to your setup - altho I have chosen to go with WMC instead of XBMC.

If you decide you want to take the plunge - I will give you a good deal on my Revue.

Reactions: jenskristian

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat a year ago or so, and I can tell you that Google TV is NOT a replacement.

You may want to take a look at The Boxee Box (we might see 2nd Gen hardware soon).

Reactions: jenskristian

jenskristian

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all good responses. I have considered the Boxee Box as I used Boxee on my HTPC before switching to XBMC, but NFL Game Pass playback is not possible on the Boxee Box because of problems with Flash.

I've been looking at the Ouya over the weekend, and it might be a possible solution when it launches next year. XBMC will probably also be more ready for primetime too.

billy_staples

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm in a bit of a bind as well. However, I am also considering migrating the other direction as the original poster. I love Android and love aspects of the Google TV, but it's plagued with out-dated software and no manufacturer has seemed to get the hardware right yet either.

For the software, Google TV still is not aligned with standard phone/tablet based Android roll-outs. Google TV is built on a crappy version of Android (if you even call it that).

Hardware... with the exception of Sony, no manufacturers provide set top boxes that can simply passthrough audio. So, if you have a video on a local NAS in an incompatible audio format, audio will not play ---- even if you have a receiver downstream with all the decoding capabilities. Lame. I can get my old WD TV to play anything I throw at it, but GTV cannot. I have to encode everything I watch -- very frustrating.

The one key thing I love about the GTV is the search. You can search anything and it will include Cable/Satellite provider matches in the results. Example... I want to watch seinfeld - I can type that quickly and it will show all current showings, future showings, web results, etc.

If a HTPC with XMBC can search my DirecTV guide, I'm sold. GTV needs many improvements (so sad to say, since I've wanted it to succeed so badly).

If I have key suggestions for Google:
  • Revamp GTV to be aligned with regular software updates - get it to Android 4.2 and true integration with Play store apps.
  • Find a manufacturer that not only designs cheap GTV offerings, but also one tailored to the power user. Many people out there have NASs - provide a simple solution for this.
  • Easy keyboard and phone/tablet integration. It amazes me that Able Remote is the only org that can pull this off so far.
  • Miracast. PLEASE don't screw this up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez