What can Google TV control?

ddunn

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Right now we have a uverse box, xbox 360, PS3,Apple TV, home theatre amp, etc.
Now, I know the GTV box comes with 1 IR blaster (according to the documentation I've read). I'd LOVE to get GTV if I can get it to control everything....
Anyone running it with U-Verse? Will it interface with GTV at least somewhat?
Can I add more IR blasters to control other devices..is that even needed?

subyfan

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Everything...

Actually the GTV box comes with three IR blasters built right into the front of the box. The extra blaster is just in case the user has an application where it is needed. I currently have my Comcast (DVR) box, a Samsung plasma and a 7.1 channel Onkyo home theater system hooked up to my GTV box. Took me 15 minutest total to setup and everything works absolutely flawlessly. GTV will control navigation within any cable box but the more advanced DVR features are currently only available if you have DISH (that's not to say you can't set set/delete recordings with other boxes, it's just not as deeply integrated). GTV FTW!!!

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping the Android Harmony app would at least let me control my Blu-Ray player. At this time, it doesn't seem to.

TJH

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering why this thing does not control the PS3 out of the box. Does anyone have PS3 control with the Sony remote? i expected Sony items to play nicer. I was considering getting a Sony Sound Bar Audio System but I refuse to get another remote.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Depends...what are you meaning when you say remote use???

My HP computer came with a remote. I can control Boxee and Windows Media Center (Not that I use it). I could actually live with having this computer in my living room if the if the Sony remote could control the computer at least the same as the stock one (even better if I could control the mouse with the trackpad).

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
So is the app restricted to TV, STB, and AVR also? Is there any way I can control my PS3 with this?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

subyfan

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
My HP computer came with a remote. I can control Boxee and Windows Media Center (Not that I use it). I could actually live with having this computer in my living room if the if the Sony remote could control the computer at least the same as the stock one (even better if I could control the mouse with the trackpad).

Why would you need to control your "other" media portals when there is a built-in media streaming app??? I have 1.5 TB of movies, music and pictures on three different computers that I can access straight from the GTV box.

Rick9

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Disappointed...for now

I emailed Logitech support to voice my displeasure regarding lack of full harmony "activities" when utilizing the android app, since I am looking to replace my harmony RF remote with my recently purchased Logitech Revue. The response was "Unfortunately, the Logitech Revue currently cannot operate any other devices outside the TV, Revue, Cable Box, and the AV Receiver". I like the word "currently....sounds to me like the android app will be updated in the future to add additional harmony support.

Also, while a true additional activity cannot be setup, I plan to play around this weekend with the system's "IR learning" functionality. I really just need to be able to control my dvd player, and I think that by adding buttons to the activity, and using the dvd remote to teach the system the IR commands, I can probably figure out a workaround. But I doubt my wife will be able to figure it out, unlike our current remote where she just presses "watch dvd"'.

But the email sounded hopeful so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that either logitech or the android community figure out a way to add activities. Also, a tablet version of the remote app that makes use of a bigger screen would be awesome, as I should be receiving my Archos 101 in the next few weeks it seems.

dkoss

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I emailed Logitech support to voice my displeasure regarding lack of full harmony "activities" when utilizing the android app, since I am looking to replace my harmony RF remote with my recently purchased Logitech Revue. The response was "Unfortunately, the Logitech Revue currently cannot operate any other devices outside the TV, Revue, Cable Box, and the AV Receiver". I like the word "currently....sounds to me like the android app will be updated in the future to add additional harmony support.

Also, while a true additional activity cannot be setup, I plan to play around this weekend with the system's "IR learning" functionality. I really just need to be able to control my dvd player, and I think that by adding buttons to the activity, and using the dvd remote to teach the system the IR commands, I can probably figure out a workaround. But I doubt my wife will be able to figure it out, unlike our current remote where she just presses "watch dvd"'.

But the email sounded hopeful so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that either logitech or the android community figure out a way to add activities. Also, a tablet version of the remote app that makes use of a bigger screen would be awesome, as I should be receiving my Archos 101 in the next few weeks it seems.

I'm glad that this issue has been addressed to and confirmed from Logitech. I have been looking for some clarity about the actual ability of the Harmony functionality of the Revue. I too was looking to replace the RF remote and found from the BB associate that that was not going to happen, but was hoping to at least be able to control more than 4 devices. Especially considering that the lowest model of the Harmony remotes controls 6 for $99. I was using that as part of the reason they were charging so much for the Revue, but I feel that argument is a bit moot now that the revue only controls itself and 3 other devices. Kind of disappointing but hopefully it is something they will be able to address with further updates.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Why would you need to control your "other" media portals when there is a built-in media streaming app??? I have 1.5 TB of movies, music and pictures on three different computers that I can access straight from the GTV box.

I'm not worried about it for accessing my media files. What I am worried about is not having Boxee working (I cannot live without the wonderful interface it provides).

subyfan

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not worried about it for accessing my media files. What I am worried about is not having Boxee working (I cannot live without the wonderful interface it provides).

What do you currently use Boxee for? GTV pretty much handles most of what my Boxee setup did (back when I had one). On the positive side, I would be willing to bet you that at the beginning of the year when the Market becomes available, there WILL be a wonderfully coded app from the great people at Boxee. :cool:

ddunn

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I bit the bullet and picked it up Friday. So far I'm liking it, esp. the fact I can control everything from my phone. Only hitch I can't figure out is the aspect ratio of my non HD channels. It letterboxes them. The HD stuff is full screen, but I like having the non HD stuff full screen as well.

Dunndw
NRA/State certified handgun instructor

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for getting a response from Logitech about this issue. If you do come up with an "IR learning" work-around, please post a step-by-step in this thread. The only other device I have hooked up is a Blu-Ray player and I'd love to get it to work with the Harmony app.

TJH

ddunn

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I bit the bullet and picked it up Friday. So far I'm liking it, esp. the fact I can control everything from my phone. Only hitch I can't figure out is the aspect ratio of my non HD channels. It letterboxes them. The HD stuff is full screen, but I like having the non HD stuff full screen as well.

Dunndw
NRA/State certified handgun instructor

***update*** I accidently hit the power switch on the surge protector installing a larger, faster switch on the entertainment center and all of a sudden, everything is full screen now....don't get it.

Pokewithstick

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering why this thing does not control the PS3 out of the box. Does anyone have PS3 control with the Sony remote? i expected Sony items to play nicer. I was considering getting a Sony Sound Bar Audio System but I refuse to get another remote.

As long as you are using HDMI it does. Using the input to switch to your PS3, you can move throughout the menus. The only lame thing is that you can't use the keyboard on the remote for typing. Big oversight.

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
As long as you are using HDMI it does. Using the input to switch to your PS3, you can move throughout the menus. The only lame thing is that you can't use the keyboard on the remote for typing. Big oversight.

Mine will still not control it. When looking in the HDMI settings interface, my TV is not recognizing my PS3 as a controllable device. Is there a certain version of HDMI cable that mist be used??